Author Topic: Dewey's pizza sauce  (Read 2671 times)

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
Dewey's pizza sauce
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:22:35 AM »
I posted this over in the Dewey's dough clone thread, but I think it might be better suited for this forum.

My wife and I went to Dewey's last night and found ourselves trying to dissect their pizza sauce.  It is our absolute favorite.  It's a very bright, acidic and tomato-y tasting sauce which makes me suspect that they use some kind of red wine vinegar (vodka maybe?) to bring that flavor out.  It also has just a HINT of heat.  It's similar to the flavor you would get from red pepper flakes, but none could be seen in the sauce itself.  I initially thought it could be coming from using garlic, but it just tasted too much like red pepper for me to really be able to put a bet on it.  Upon visual inspection, I could see black pepper and what I'm assuming to be oregano as the sauce just didn't have that sweet flavor you get from basil.

Texture wise, it was extremely smooth and from watching the worker's spread it, I could tell that it was fairly thick.  Definitely not runny or watery.  It appeared to be made with tomato sauce or possibly tomato puree.  Next to no particulates in the sauce at all.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insights?

Offline Zing

Re: Dewey's pizza sauce
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:08:21 PM »
While I have never had Dewey's Pizza, what you describe is very similar to what I am trying to accomplish with my version of Shakey's sauce.

While nobody seems to agree with me, I believe they put wine or some wine-type flavor in Shakey's sauce. It seems a regional favorite in California wine country, which is not too far from where Shakey's originated.

Also, I suspect the use of some ground herbs and spices in Shakey's sauce. It probably makes manufacturing easier.

Take a look at all the ways this vendor catering to industrial food customers prepares herbs and spices:
http://www.mincing.com/services.htm

In my own experiments, I found ground Cayenne pepper will give heat. I use ground oregano in my sauce and leaf dried basil.

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »
I actually wonder if they might use some kind of infused oil for the heat.  My father has been using some harissa infused olive oil in his sauce and it tastes exactly like red pepper flakes.

BTW, he also uses a tuscan herb oil in his dough which is to die for.  It's more for aroma than anything, but it makes your kitchen smell like rosemary.  Yum.

Offline tzdvl

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 02:53:23 PM »
Hey, DustinA,

I also love Dewey's pizza - one of my favorites in the Dayton, OH area.

In May, 2012 I took a pizza-making class "Dewey's Pizza... and More!",  taught by Chuck Lipp (Chief Operating Officer and Partner of Dewey's Pizza, responsible for menus and develops the recipes for Dewey's).

I asked a few questions and got the scoop on some of the ingredients used by Dewey's...

First the sauce: The base is Stanislaus Pizzaiolo, with added salt, red pepper flakes, spices and garlic salt (no further info on proportions, or which "spices").

Their cheese is a part-skim mozzarella from Burnett Dairy. (He said it was called "Patria", but I can find no info on the web except that Burnett is a Wisconsin dairy cooperative.)

Their pepperoni is from Ezzo Italian Meats in Columbus, OH. (I believe it is their GiAntonio "Old World" type, which has a fibrous rather than a collagen casing, so it doesn't curl or char.)

Anyway, some info "from the horse's mouth"!

The sauce shouldn't be too hard to "clone" with some experimentation, because Pizzaiolo sauce is fairly easy to find, although only in #10 cans.

The Burnett cheese is probably impossible to find (possibly custom-made for Dewey's?), and even if you could find it you'd probably have to buy 50 pounds...

Dewey's, like most large operations, can get KILLER ingredients like Ezzo pepperoni and Burnett and Grande cheeses that simply aren't available to non-commercial buyers or in reasonable quantities.

Ken
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:00:59 PM by tzdvl »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »
 that burnnets product is available from sysco food. the name is correct. and can ordered under the. the ezzo pepperoni is available from sofo foods. deweys may be getting both from either sofo or sysco.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »
Their pepperoni is from Ezzo Italian Meats in Columbus, OH. (I believe it is their GiAntonio "Old World" type, which has a fibrous rather than a collagen casing, so it doesn't curl or char.)

I associate the term "old world" with pepperoni that does curl up. (Have I been wrong all this time?) Also, I have more than half a case of Ezzo GiAntonio 38 mm pepperoni (the kind that curls up) in a freezer, and a couple more pounds of it in a fridge. Sounds like it's not the same type of GiAntonio as what Dewey's uses, though, as I know there are two types of GiAntonio. I've been to Dewey's once (near Kings Island), but I don't remember much about it, other than I thought Dewey's was a poor attempt at trying to copy some aspects of NY style, and that they offer some unusual toppings. I definitely wouldn't call it NY style. (My brother loves Dewey's. The only reason I've been there is because he took me there.)

Interestingly, I just made my first pizza in a few months. I used some of the Ezzo pepperoni, which has been in the fridge since I bought it (in July, I think). To my surprise, it's still good.

Offline tzdvl

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »
Thanks for the info, thezaman!

About the "Old World" Ezzo pepperoni -

http://www.ezzo.com/products.html

Look on the lower part of the page (in the "Fibrous" section) where it says "Roll cursor over for Fibrous Size Information".

If you hover your mouse cursor over the smallest size pepperoni in the picture that's where I saw the bit about "Old World" style.

If I remember correctly the pepperoni at Dewey's is closer to the middle size, but it DOESN'T curl or char.

Dewey's probably has their pepperoni custom-made anyway.

Also, though, I remember that some time before I took the Dewey's class I had asked one of the guys in the restaurant what kind of pepperoni they use. He told me he wasn't sure, but  he thought the brand was "Old World"!

Ken

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 10:06:48 PM »
Ezzo's web site is kinda confusing to me. When you hover over the small pepperoni, it says that particular pepperoni lies flat on the pizza. I'm pretty sure that's the same pepperoni I have right now, but I don't know for sure because everything on the Ezzo web site seems to contradict everything else on the web site. My pepperoni is GiAntonio 38 mm, and it forms a cup shape when baked, though not as much of a cup shape as some other pepperoni. (Here are a couple pics of pizzas I made with this pepperoni, in Reply #288 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12446.msg274991.html#msg274991.) I can see how this may be considered either cupping pepperoni or non-cupping pepperoni. I'm curious to know what you'd call it.

Joseppi's uses the term "old world pepperoni" for their Topper pizza, which uses a similar pepperoni (if not the same pepperoni) as the pepperoni I'm using. I've heard "old world" used to describe this style of pepperoni elsewhere, too.

Does Dewey's pepperoni cup at all? The one pizza I've had from Dewey's probably had pepperoni, but I don't remember anything about the pizza, except that it was soft and bready (and that my brother's half had pine nuts).

Offline tzdvl

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 07:34:06 AM »
Question for TheZaMan, or anyone else who might have the info:
Can you post a link to where you found the Burnett Patria cheese at Sysco?

I have been frustrated for some time by my inability to get either specific information, or ANY information at ALL about products sold by commercial food service operations or wholesale-only suppliers. I can't find any links online to a "real" Sysco catalog.

It shouldn't be so hard for home cooks to get good ingredients! Some of the "good stuff" is available from Pennsylvania Macaroni, but NOT, for instance, medium size, non-cupping PRE-SLICED Ezzo pepperoni!

Oh, and the Ezzo pepperoni at Dewey's does not cup at all. Perfectly flat.
GiAntonio is apparently a "recipe" for one type of pepperoni Ezzo makes, and that GiAntonio type is available with a collagen (cupping) outer casing or a fibrous (non-cupping) casing.

Ken
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:39:29 AM by tzdvl »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 06:34:15 PM »
 cannot give you a link,i asked my sysco rep and burnette patria is a mix of mozz,prove, munster. code 7070309.the ezzo is 38mm 9853508 51mm 0030155. not sure which they use he is putting a memo to his reps to see if they have a raw product list.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 01:45:45 AM »
Hey, DustinA,

I also love Dewey's pizza - one of my favorites in the Dayton, OH area.

In May, 2012 I took a pizza-making class "Dewey's Pizza... and More!",  taught by Chuck Lipp (Chief Operating Officer and Partner of Dewey's Pizza, responsible for menus and develops the recipes for Dewey's).

I asked a few questions and got the scoop on some of the ingredients used by Dewey's...

First the sauce: The base is Stanislaus Pizzaiolo, with added salt, red pepper flakes, spices and garlic salt (no further info on proportions, or which "spices").

Their cheese is a part-skim mozzarella from Burnett Dairy. (He said it was called "Patria", but I can find no info on the web except that Burnett is a Wisconsin dairy cooperative.)

Anyway, some info "from the horse's mouth"!

The sauce shouldn't be too hard to "clone" with some experimentation, because Pizzaiolo sauce is fairly easy to find, although only in #10 cans.

The Burnett cheese is probably impossible to find (possibly custom-made for Dewey's?), and even if you could find it you'd probably have to buy 50 pounds...

Dewey's, like most large operations, can get KILLER ingredients like Ezzo pepperoni and Burnett and Grande cheeses that simply aren't available to non-commercial buyers or in reasonable quantities.

Ken

It is hard to beat Pizzaiolo by Stamnislaus. I know many Pizzerias that use it straight on their pizza or only add very little to the sauce. Personally, I LOVE Pizzaiolo by Stanislaus. I used to buy it at Costco Business Center, but they stopped carrying it. You can buy it at Restaurant Depot (but you will need to have a Business License to get a membership, or shop with someone that has one) or Pizziolo can be found on the internet. Also, you can probably ask to buy a case from your favorite Pizzeria that uses it.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.msg285546.html#msg285546

TomN
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:24:46 AM by TomN »

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 12:06:35 PM »
Dang, disappear for a day and the fountain of knowledge erupts!   ;D  Thank you everyone for the input.  I just found a local Italian grocery store here in St. Louis that stocks just about every thing I could want for pizza.  7/11, 6 in 1, Stanislaus Pizzaiolo, Saputo whole milk and part skim mozz, etc.  I'm going to have to go make a run and get to testing. :D

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 02:16:34 PM »
Hello DustinA,

Keep us updated on your progress. I would be interested to know how things work out.

TomN

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 03:41:34 PM »
It's the next thing on my sauce agenda, November.  I just made an entire #10 can of your pizza sauce and I'm loving it.  That MAE thing is incredible.  Some of the best sauce I've ever tasted.  Yum.   ;D

Offline sancraig

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 04:07:54 PM »
Hey DustinA fellow St Louisan here. I was wondering where your finding Saputo here it St Louis.

Thanks,
Craig

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 05:56:43 PM »
Degregorio's on the hill. It's a little Italian grocer. If you ask them, they will sell you a 5lb block if the stuff. They also have every pizza sauce base you can think of. 7/11, 6in1, pizzaiolo, super dolce, etc.

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 05:57:27 PM »
It's labelled as Stella, but it's made by Saputo.

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 06:01:04 PM »

Offline sancraig

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Oh ok, did not know Stella was Saputo. Digregorios is a good source for Caputo also. Missouri Baking Co has some amazing dough balls down there.

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 09:09:47 AM »
I mean, c'mon.  That's just sexy.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:12:05 AM by DustinA »

pizzapan