Author Topic: Dewey's pizza sauce  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Dewey's pizza sauce
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »
Nice. We're lucky to have a place like that here in Columbus (with a tomato section that is actually about three or four times bigger than that).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:48:12 AM by Aimless Ryan »

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »
I'll actually be up there for NAPICS in February.  Want to show me where your place is?  Sounds like it would be killer.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »
Yeah, man. I'm sure I could do that. By then I will live 10 or 15 minutes closer to downtown Columbus, in Grove City. (Closed on a condo yesterday.) I wasn't planning to attend NAPICS, but maybe I'll change my mind. If you've never been to NAPICS (or any similar trade shows), here's some advice: Don't eat breakfast the day(s) you attend, because half of the exhibitors will offer you food every time you walk by their space. Some of the food is crap, but some of it is awesome (especially if Chef Bruno is there with a Marsal oven).

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
Haha Good advice. This will be my first time. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm also stopping by Walter's school to try out his old Blodgetts.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »
Haha Good advice. This will be my first time. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm also stopping by Walter's school to try out his old Blodgetts.

Be sure to let me know what day you want to come by at least a few days in advance so I can have dough ready.  We are on the school schedule so weekends we are closed but I can go in anytime.  Weekends are best or after hours (3pm on)  weekdays.  Walter

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 02:10:05 PM »
UPDATE:  I just took their pizza class over the weekend and cornered the poor kitchen manager for awhile.  :)

For the sauce, as mentioned before, is a pizzaiolo base.  It contains pepper, garlic salt, basil, oregano and red pepper.  He said that they mix it up in 50 lb batches and then use a stick blender to get it smooth.

He also confirmed the Wisconsin cheese and the 2 day cold rise period that we've heard of elsewhere. 

They cook their pizzas at 550F for 5 minutes.  1 minute directly on the stone, 2 minutes on a screen and then rotate and finish off for another 2 minutes.

Also of note.  They brush their crust with a roasted garlic oil.  They prep the garlic and roast it in the morning.  The majority of it goes to the line for toppings but they hold back some to use to infuse their olive oil.  They have it set up in a double plastic bin that is much like a pasta pot.  The outer bin is filled with the olive oil and the inner, perforated bin is filled with the garlic.  This is where the nutty flavor in the crust comes from that I wont shut up about.

If you haven't done this before, it is an absolute blast and great for a date or family outing.

pizzapan