Author Topic: KA bread flour vs Pilsbury  (Read 973 times)

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
KA bread flour vs Pilsbury
« on: November 17, 2013, 11:23:44 AM »
I normally use KA bread flour for making pizza but the Pilsbury bread flour was on sale so I decided to give it a try. Is there any noticeable difference between the two?
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline tombiasi

Re: KA bread flour vs Pilsbury
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:45:46 AM »
I have used both flours and I prefer KABF. It seems to handle better with my recipe and work flow.
I would have no problem using PBF though.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 01:31:06 PM »
Easy way to find out: Use the flour.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »
Nick,

For what it is worth, Tom Lehmann often recommends the Pillsbury bread flour. In fact, I think it is the only retal level bread flour that he specically cites by name.

Peter

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 04:20:02 PM »
Easy way to find out: Use the flour.

Thank you for your infinite wisdom, Ryan.

The pilsbury bread flour has less iron, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and folic acid. I'm not sure if the variance from KABF would be enough to change my final product, what benefit do these ingredients bring in the creation of pizza dough?
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »
I wasn't joking or being a smartass.

The most knowledgeable people on these boards are knowledgeable not because they asked a lot of questions or did a lot of reading. They are knowledgeable specifically because they tried the Pillsbury flour they had already bought, rather than trusting what everyone else may have had to say about Pillsbury flour. If I tell you something and I'm wrong, but you believe me anyway, you may think you've learned something, but you haven't.

Is there any noticeable difference between the two?

Probably not, but what you consider noticeable may not be the same thing everyone else considers noticeable. Also, I don't know.

You have both flours. You're familiar with one already. Try the other and decide for yourself. It's that easy. There is absolutely no risk in simply trying the Pillsbury flour. The worst that could happen is that the Pillsbury ends up being not quite what you want from a flour. No one on this planet can tell you what you want from a flour. The only way you'll ever know anything useful about Pillsbury flour is by trying it.

To me there is a huge difference between King Arthur AP and Pillsbury AP. I've found that Pillsbury requires 3-5% more water than KAAP to end up with a deep dish dough that feels the same as deep dish dough made with KAAP. Is one of these flours better than the other? I don't know, but I like the Pillsbury better. And in my experience, Gold Medal AP might as well be the same thing as Pillsbury AP. I know nothing about either KA, Pillsbury, or GM bread flour.

You know why I know I like Pillsbury AP and GM AP better than KAAP? Because I've tried them all.

You know why I know I don't like Mondako flour for NY style but I do like it for stuffed? Because I've made both kinds of pizza using Mondako flour.

Notice a trend?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »
The pilsbury bread flour has less iron, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and folic acid. I'm not sure if the variance from KABF would be enough to change my final product, what benefit do these ingredients bring in the creation of pizza dough?

Nick,

The ingredients you mentioned are simply part of the standard enrichment package that most millers use with standard white flours. They simply replace vitamins that were removed from the flour during milling. Not all flours are required to be enriched, but when they are the FDA dictates the rules for doing so, including quantities.

General Mills sells Pillsbury flours at the foodservice level but, at the retail level, the Pillsbury flours, including the Pillsbury Best bread flour, are sold by the JM Smucker company. So, without seeing detailed specs for the Pillsbury Best bread flour, it is hard to know exactly what the makeup of the flour is. However, as best I can tell, the Pillsbury Best bread flour is milled from hard winter wheat. If it is white wheat, that would suggest a softer and whiter flour with a lower protein content than the KABF bread flour. According to Tom Lehmann, the Pillsbury Best bread flour has a protein content of about 12%. By contrast, the KABF, which is milled from hard red spring wheat, has a protein content of 12.7%. Another difference between the two flours is that the Pillsbury Best bread flour includes ascorbic acid, aka Vitamin C. Ascorbic acid is a well known bromate substitute that is commonly added to bread flours. The KABF uses no ascorbic acid.

You can see the ingredients list and Nutrition Facts for the Pillsbury Best bread flour at http://www.walmart.com/ip/PILLSBURY-BREAD-FLOUR-5-LB/10308169#Nutrition+Facts .

I agree with Ryan that the quickest and best way to answer your own questions is to give the Pillsbury Best bread flour a try. My recollection is that there are differences between Pillsbury flours and other flours, so some tweaking of the hydration might be needed.

Peter