Author Topic: The Big Green Egg - Feedback???  (Read 2786 times)

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: The Big Green Egg - Feedback???
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 12:13:37 PM »

In regards to the Weber vs Egg startup and cleaning process, the egg wins hands down.  I can cook on my egg a couple of times a week for two months and then have to clean the small amount of ash buildup using lump.  Before each cook I take some trashed charcoal tongs and stir the ashes off the partially used lump from the cook before, dump new on top and light.  With Rutland firestarters, I can be cooking in 20-30 min. 
The egg uses far less lump due to the ceramic, saving money, and time spent cleaning. 

With the kettle and briquettes, you have to clean it with each use, a PITA.  As stated above, briquettes produce alot more ash, and are made with chemical binders.  Lump is cleaner burning, and more subtle of a wood charcoal flavor.  Kingsford can be a little overpowering at times, especially with fish or poultry. 

While I do lust after a BGE, I have to take issue with the above..... you are just describing the difference between lump and briquettes which applies the same to an egg or a kettle grill.

If you use lump with a kettle, which I fully recommend for all the same reasons you list - and also because it burns hotter, then you get the same low ash and easy lighting. Then just shut the vents on the kettle after cooking and the unused lump goes out to be reused the next time. I am sure that an egg does use less charcoal than a kettle though.

I would also recommend the use of a chimney starter for charcoal rather than firelighters due to the chemicals in them. A single sheet of newspaper, one match and the charcoal is ready to cook in 15 minutes.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 10:41:17 AM »
While I do lust after a BGE, I have to take issue with the above..... you are just describing the difference between lump and briquettes which applies the same to an egg or a kettle grill.

If you use lump with a kettle, which I fully recommend for all the same reasons you list - and also because it burns hotter, then you get the same low ash and easy lighting. Then just shut the vents on the kettle after cooking and the unused lump goes out to be reused the next time. I am sure that an egg does use less charcoal than a kettle though.

I would also recommend the use of a chimney starter for charcoal rather than firelighters due to the chemicals in them. A single sheet of newspaper, one match and the charcoal is ready to cook in 15 minutes.

In regards to the BGE, lump is the only fuel recommended.  No matter what type of charcoal used in the kettle, you still use much more charcoal than a ceramic grill which is more efficient.  More fuel used = more ash....even lump.  I am surprised you have lump or briquettes remaining after cooking on a kettle?  I very rarely did, even after shutting the vents completely down.  This was mostly due to the poor insulating properties of porcelain enameled steel and the lack of tight seals with the lid and vents on the base.  On the egg shutdown, the fire is starved of O2 immediately.  The heated ceramic takes hours to cool, but the fire is out.     

I agree that a Weber brand chimney starter is a must with a kettle.  A waste for the BGE.  A firestarter dropped into the middle of the charcoal works just fine with the updraft.  I first started using newspaper in the chimney.  The burnt newspaper gets easily caught in the wind and blown over your cooking area.  It also has a short burn time.  A paper towel tied in a knot with a small drizzle of used cooking oil works great and there is no burnt newspaper flying around.  Another option is using wadded up pieces of the charcoal bag, same results, no flying ash.  The firestarters are not an issue when used properly.  They completely burn off in the preheat, doing no harm.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:46:40 AM by Pook »
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline halfprice

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »
I love my XL BGE.  Like everyone said its a smoker/griller first, pizza oven second.  I was lucky and found my XL BGE with all the extra stuff, plate setter, pizza stone, on Craigs list for $250.  No way I was going to spend $1500 for it.  For grilling I use a couple fire starters and its ready to cook in 15-20 minutes.  For smoking its take a while longer because you have to get the proper temp stabilized.  Now I just use an I-Que 110.  just light the lump (always lump never briquette), set the temp you want and the I-que does the rest.

The guy I bought the BGE from sold it because he only wanted it to make pizza's   It didn't make them the way he wanted.  He ended up getting a WFO and selling the BGE.

I have a big 4 burner gas BBQ that I haven't used in 2 years since getting my BGE.  The only down side is having to buy the lump.  I found a commercial company to buy from so I get a 40lb bag.  The BGE is a very efficent cooker and the 40lbs last a long time.  The taste is far superior to the gas BBQ so the little inconveinence to drive to get the lump is worth it than using the gas BBQ.

I have made a lot of pizzas in the BGE and it was a pain.  I thought it did good but you can go from a good pizza to burnt in a matter of a couple of seconds.  I normally cooked them at 600*  Having to open and closed the lid is where the problems are.  Temp is lost fast but it builds up fast also.  I seem to burn it right at the end because of this.   I stopped using the BGE and just used my inside oven.  Just got my BS and will fire it up this weekend.

Get the egg if you plan on smoking or grilling.  If pizza is your main focus get a BS.

Jerry

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2013, 02:58:53 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your feedback. I was going to buy the BGE specifically for pizza since the BGE Magazine shows pizza being made on the cover and that the salesman swears by it for pizza. However, after all the feedback on the forum about pizza making, (just average pizza and sometimes difficult to use feedback),  I am hesitant to purchase one at $1500.00. i am glad that you got a great deal. Thanks again.

Tom N
PS
I am going to attend the next BGE cook off when the weather gets better and see it first hand for myself before making any kind of purchase.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:00:31 PM by TomN »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2013, 03:24:41 PM »
Let's put it like this:  I know of at least 5 people who have gone on from the BGE to build ovens for pizza, and not a single soul who has sold their oven to buy a BGE.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2013, 03:37:47 PM »
I was going to buy the BGE specifically for pizza since the BGE Magazine shows pizza being made on the cover and that the salesman swears by it for pizza.

I can't imagine better reasons NOT to buy one for pizza.

The BGE self-published advertisement/"magazine" and the salesman both said it's good for pizza ??? what a surprise. The pies in their advertisement looked nice, but they could have just as easily (actually a lot more easily) been baked in a toaster oven, and I'd bet a dollar to a donut hole that the salesman has never made dough from scratch.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »
BGE is great, however I say that the Primo XL is even better.  Oval shape allows direct and indirect cooking.  Plus it is made in USA...

http://primogrill.com/primo-grills/primo-grills-ovalxl/
http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/grill-smoker-egg-or-kamado-style-combination-grill-smoker-pizza-oven/primo-oval-xl

Offline halfprice

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 05:56:15 PM »
Just wanted to add to this a little more.  The egg us great and pizza get the wood smoke taste which is great. But having used my blackstone for the first time last night. I take the bs over the egg for pjzza. For smoking meat the egg csnt be beat IMHO

Offline dineomite

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 08:09:02 PM »
I love my BGE - just not for pizza. If you were looking at an XL that would do both pizza and BBQ, I'd just drop down to a Large (for BBQ) and buy a BS (for pizza).

Offline moetard

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 07:34:29 AM »
If you are serious about pizza build a WFO.  I have been cooking on a large BGE for about 5 years.  It works great for grilling / smoking.  I bought the WFO kit from Superior Clay and assembled it two weeks ago.  The pizza from the WFO is at another level.  We make pizza every week and it is edible from the BGE but nothing like the pizza from the WFO.   When I use the BGE as a smoker it holds the heat well, but there is limited space for meat.  I am able to cook a few chickens or one turkey at a time.  If you decided on the WFO route, spend some time on the fornobrovo.com forum it is a treasure trove of WFO information.  Deciding on the size of a WFO is critical.  I found my BGE on craigs list -- and for $300 it was a good value.  If you have to pay retail price for a BGE and your limited on $$$ then I recommend you focus on what you plan to cook.  Another factor is 'footprint', a WFO takes up more space than the BGE.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 02:20:12 PM »
If you are serious about pizza build a WFO.  I have been cooking on a large BGE for about 5 years.  It works great for grilling / smoking.  I bought the WFO kit from Superior Clay and assembled it two weeks ago.  The pizza from the WFO is at another level.  We make pizza every week and it is edible from the BGE but nothing like the pizza from the WFO.   When I use the BGE as a smoker it holds the heat well, but there is limited space for meat.  I am able to cook a few chickens or one turkey at a time.  If you decided on the WFO route, spend some time on the fornobrovo.com forum it is a treasure trove of WFO information.  Deciding on the size of a WFO is critical.  I found my BGE on craigs list -- and for $300 it was a good value.  If you have to pay retail price for a BGE and your limited on $$$ then I recommend you focus on what you plan to cook.  Another factor is 'footprint', a WFO takes up more space than the BGE.

Thank you for the feedback. I am curious as to what size WFO that you built? On a few other threads, there was discussion about WFO size. Many people said their ideal size as in the 30 inch range. Not to big that it is a hassle get the WFO fired up and ready, and not to be in the 20 inch range since there is not enough room to move properly. Your thoughts and WFO size? Thanks again.

TomN
PS
I have not had good feedback about making pizza on the BGE and that is what i would be specifically buying it for. The portability of the BGE is a good feature.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 02:21:48 PM by TomN »

Offline halfprice

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 07:12:03 PM »
Thank you for the feedback. I am curious as to what size WFO that you built? On a few other threads, there was discussion about WFO size. Many people said their ideal size as in the 30 inch range. Not to big that it is a hassle get the WFO fired up and ready, and not to be in the 20 inch range since there is not enough room to move properly. Your thoughts and WFO size? Thanks again.

TomN
PS
I have not had good feedback about making pizza on the BGE and that is what i would be specifically buying it for. The portability of the BGE is a good feature.

If you want something portable then get the Blackstone. An egg is not portable. Yes you can roll it a round the back yard but  they weight a lot and I would be afraid of breaking it.  Trying to load it into and out if a car or truck would be a hugh pita

Jerry

Offline dineomite

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 09:02:36 PM »
Bought a BGE, complete with pizza stone and BBQ Guru. Was able to get that sucker up to 850 with little problem. The issue was that I was running through some serious charcoal and hight temp gaskets. The top of the pizzas looked like they came out of a home oven. The bottoms of the pies looked nice. I kept it because I can barbecue year round using very little fuel.

Built a 42" Pompei style oven. It works beautifully, except that it takes about a banana box full of very dry wood and 3 hours to get it up around 850. This isn't really a problem on the weekend, but when you just want to experiment a 1 or 2 pies it's a pain in the ass. Having really dry wood is a problem if you start to run out, simply because others have a different idea of what "dry" is. I now use this for larger parties at my house. There is nothing like hanging out on the patio at night with the fire crackling, people laughing, and popping out fresh pies.

Bought a 2 Stone. I now eat pizza whenever I want. I fire up the oven and in 20-30 minutes I have roof and floor temperatures in the range of 850-900. I need to keep track of how long a bottle lasts but I seem to get about 4 hours out of a new bottle. $23 for a full bottle.

The 2 Stone is oppressively expensive, but the quality of construction is excellent. I don't know what your financial situation is, or even how much you plan to use it, but if you were looking for something affordable I would take a long look at the Blackstone. I have never used one, but I see a lot of awesome pies from the other members here.

Before you buy anything make sure you figure out how serious you are, how much time you can devote to heat up, what you're looking to spend, etc.

Hope this helps.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »
Bought a BGE, complete with pizza stone and BBQ Guru. Was able to get that sucker up to 850 with little problem. The issue was that I was running through some serious charcoal and hight temp gaskets. The top of the pizzas looked like they came out of a home oven. The bottoms of the pies looked nice. I kept it because I can barbecue year round using very little fuel.

Built a 42" Pompei style oven. It works beautifully, except that it takes about a banana box full of very dry wood and 3 hours to get it up around 850. This isn't really a problem on the weekend, but when you just want to experiment a 1 or 2 pies it's a pain in the ass. Having really dry wood is a problem if you start to run out, simply because others have a different idea of what "dry" is. I now use this for larger parties at my house. There is nothing like hanging out on the patio at night with the fire crackling, people laughing, and popping out fresh pies.

Bought a 2 Stone. I now eat pizza whenever I want. I fire up the oven and in 20-30 minutes I have roof and floor temperatures in the range of 850-900. I need to keep track of how long a bottle lasts but I seem to get about 4 hours out of a new bottle. $23 for a full bottle.

The 2 Stone is oppressively expensive, but the quality of construction is excellent. I don't know what your financial situation is, or even how much you plan to use it, but if you were looking for something affordable I would take a long look at the Blackstone. I have never used one, but I see a lot of awesome pies from the other members here.

Before you buy anything make sure you figure out how serious you are, how much time you can devote to heat up, what you're looking to spend, etc.

Hope this helps.

This helps a lot. Do you have any photos of the 2 stone that you can post on this thread? Thank you very much.

TomN
PS
When i saw the magazine cover, I thought the BGE was mainly for pizza.  Have they Improved it for Pizza making?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:57:43 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »
another quote.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »

Offline dineomite

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 10:45:03 PM »
Think about it. The coals are underneath the floor. How is the 'roof' of the oven ever going to be balanced with the floor? It isn't. The floor is directly over the coals. You look at the thermometer in the lid. It's 800. Time to put the pizza in, right? You open the lid and....WOOOSH! All of the hot air escapes. Now the only heat you have comes from the residual heat radiating from the lid and have lost no heat on the floor.

Not good.

Many of the claims in the literature just aren't accurate. I will say, this guy has fabricated the best setup I've seen on a BGE.  http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/03/my-pizza-oven-tailbiters-frankenegg.html

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 07:23:46 AM »
Tom,  the photos in the magazine are beautiful, but if you look carefully, you will see no browning on the top of the pizza.  I am sure the bottom came out great, but, IMHO, there is not enough top heat in a BGE or similar oven.  Since the BS is so cheap, in comparison to a true WFO,  dip your toe in the water and get one and see what you think.  I have it and love it. 

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »
Tom,  the photos in the magazine are beautiful, but if you look carefully, you will see no browning on the top of the pizza.  I am sure the bottom came out great, but, IMHO, there is not enough top heat in a BGE or similar oven.  Since the BS is so cheap, in comparison to a true WFO,  dip your toe in the water and get one and see what you think.  I have it and love it.

Thank you for the feedback. When i look into a WFO at the Pizzeria, I can see how the pizza is cooking (even on my home oven). With the BGE, I often wondered how you would check on the progress of your pizza without losing all the heat when taking a look at your pizza?

Offline moetard

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 08:09:01 AM »

TomN
PS

I used the 36 inch kit from SuperiorClay ( http://www.rumford.com/oven/index.htm ).  I agree with a minimum size of 30 inches.  I am glad I went with the 36.  It gives me enough space to cook two pies at once if I want.  I think an oven in the 32-36 inch range is perfect for the amateur chef.  I always plan 1.5 hours to get the fire started and oven ready for cooking.  It could probably be ready in a little over an hour if I was in a rush.  If you are leaning toward building a WFO and considering the product I used send me a private message and I will give you more details on my build.  I dont want to hijack this tread with boring details about my build.

pizzapan