Author Topic: My first grease wheel!  (Read 1000 times)

amyamrap

My first grease wheel!
« on: November 19, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »
Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum and I'm really glad I found it. Serious pizza expertise here, thanks guys!

I like pizza and i've eaten lots. In my youth I haunted the various joints in the big cities in which I lived. (Pizzeria Regina's on Thatcher St. in Boston is my favorite.) I found a woman who could both tolerate me and cook pizza and we wed. For three decades she turned out super fine pies of the home kitchen sort. So good, very good. But I wanted the next level and I rode her.. I put pizza  pics on her putter's desktop. "PUFFY CHEWY CRUST!" I insisted. She tried but couldn't take it to the next level.

I found this site recently and determined that I would learn how to make pizza. I had never made a dough, never cooked a dough.. ever. Never mixed water and flour. But I read many many of the fine instructional posts here, watched numerous videos and decided to give it a go last night.

The ADY didn't foam up or increase in volume as I expected but I did everything right (105 water) so I used it. "Kneaded" with a stand mixer for about 10 minutes total. The dough was never sticky nor was it ever too dry (as far as I know). I divided the dough into two balls. One I put in the fridge and the other I placed in a covered plastic bowl in the microwave oven along with a quart of hot water.

I saw no evidence of rising after 45 minutes. At 90 minutes it had more than doubled in size. I kind of manhandled the dough getting it out of the bowl. I was able to form the dough somewhat but not in the 9" wheel I planned on. It was very resistant to stretching.

The sauce was simply Hunt tomato sauce with garlic, oregano, and basil. I added two tablespoons of caramelized onions (I never made pizza but I AM the caramelized onion king!), a teaspoon of lime juice and two drops of liquid smoke. It wasn't bad, lol. Moozadell on top.

I set the oven at 550 and placed a stone on the middle rack and a stone on the top rack. Let the oven come to temp for about an hour. I dressed the pie on the metal pan and put that on top of the stone on the middle rack. At 7 minutes I was excited at what I was seeing in the oven.. it was cooking! Two more minutes and I pulled it out.

Obviously it could look much much better, but what the heck, I had a slice. Not too good. Sauce was okay but the crust wasn't. The crust crisped up nice on the bottom and the cornicione and it was cooked thoroughly under the sauce but the crumb was not satisfying. Too chewy and would form small nodules of crust in the mouth. Taste wasn't very good either. If I were served this pizza in a restaurant or at a home table I 'd not eat it.

This is my first post and I've attached pics but I don't see them in preview. Maybe they'll show up when I click post.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:24:24 PM by amyamrap »

Offline Jackitup

Re: My first grease wheel!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »
By manhandle and forming, did you re-knead the dough after the rise?

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

amyamrap

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »
I had to grab at it several times to get it out of the bowl and when I finally got it out I had to reshape it. I may have turned and folded it two or three time before I reformed the ball. Then I stretched and shaped the pizza by hand and placed it on the pan.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:33:02 PM »
Next time, hand knead just a bit after coming out of the mixer. Rest for 10-15 and lightly knead again, should have a smooth skin at this point. Put in a well oiled plastic tub sized appropriate to your dough ball. To retard the rising of your dough put in a cooler with ice or the fridge for a 24-48 hour rise, or room temp as you prefer and time allows. GENTLY take the dough ball out onto an oiled or floured surface and tease it open trying not to wreck the dough structure. Like ciabatta bread, "iron fist, velvet glove". If it starts fighting back, cover with plastic and let it rest 5-10 minutes. This should get you started, your crumb doesn't look too bad, need to work on your handling and shaping. Keep at it!!

jon

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 05:55:08 AM »
if you plan on making larger amounts of pizza or know people that bake, sams club can sell you 2 pounds of IDY, for less than what you will buy at a grocery store for that 4oz jar.  also, i've found that ADY liked 95-100 better than 105 in my early days.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:21:37 AM »
Okay for first attempt (mine was worse).  For maximum dough flavor you need to do a cold rise in your fridge for 48hrs.  Get some cheap plastic containers w/lids and coat them with olive oil so the dough just falls out (remove dough from fridge 2hrs before shaping).   A pizza stone or unglazed quarry tiles are also crucial making a decent pie.  Good luck and keep posting pics.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:24:31 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

amyamrap

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, pizza chefs! I made a couple of more last night with a random Kitchen Aid internet recipe. See, I'm still learning which scissors are best  to open the yeast pack with, what bowls to put where on the counter, lol.

The dough I made last night didn't pull away from the mixing bowl as it was kneading. I added a touch of flour but the dough still stuck. After 10 mins I was able to rip the dough out of the mixer bowl and set it aside for rising. After two hours it had quadrupled at least!

It was sticky, leaving dough stuck to my hands. Also, it was pretty difficult to stretch.

I made two pies. One hand shaped approximating an American crust and the other I rolled as thin as I could and it came out reasonably close to a cracker crust.

Since I'm experimenting I'm just using junk in the fridge as toppings. The 'American' was topped with a caramelized onion/tomato sauce, mini pepperoni slices, chopped jalapeno, and moozadell. The 'cracker' crust was topped with the caramelized onion/tomato sauce, anchovies, mushrooms, moozadell, heavily dusted with parmesan, and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. These were edible :)

One pic of the American and three of the cracker.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »
never ever follow an internet pizza recipe unless it originated on this site,  and even then choose carefully.  Maybe try a KA recipie for scones or something NOT pizza!  -Marc

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »
 ^^^

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »
 ^^^

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 08:03:18 PM »
Just a regrouping a little here. Before you start bouncing around at random internet dough recipes you need to pick a "style" you prefer and get good at that one with repeatable results, THEN start to experiment on something else!! If you're serious, sounds like you are, make a lot of cheap, plain sauce or cheese pies to practice. GET A SCALE, a must. READ A LOT, here on this Forum. It really has all you need to know. There are also some good frozen doughs that are just ok but it sounds like you want to go further than that. Some of the best stuff available, best pizzas made anywhere, are right here on this site, you have found the best place!!

jon

Offline sonny.eymann

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 08:45:02 PM »
There are many bad recipes both on this forum and the internet.
If anyone tries this recipe take the total technique
100% flour King Author All Purpose.  I don't like bread flour or any high gluten flour but that is a different subject with many if's, and's & buts
60% cold water
.3 % IDY
1.75 % salt
1.75 sugar  I like Sugar in the recipe but as the cooking temp goes above 550F  the amount sugar should be reduced and gone at above  650F cooking temp
no oil     but  coat the formed ball in light oil

Mix in this order water, salt,  IDY and sugar,  mix well  then add flour mix about 1 more minute with a spoon. let sit 15 minutes
Mix with a Kitchen Aid on speed 2 to 4 for 3 minutes, no more.     bowl will be clean after KA mix
ball with lightly oiled hands  place in a lightly oiled container direct to a cooler at 40f to 42F
Leave in cold storage for 2 to 3 days although up to 5 ok but reduce the IDY to .2% if the intension is 4 or 5 days
take out of the cooler let sit 15 minutes than form on a lightly oiled counter. ( if you prefer flour for forming no problem but I don't)
top and bake
you will end up with a very tender and flavorful crust

Good luck
Sonny
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:48:24 PM by sonny.eymann »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 11:17:21 PM »
never ever follow an internet pizza recipe unless it originated on this site,  and even then choose carefully.  Maybe try a KA recipie for scones or something NOT pizza!  -Marc

Well the one exception would be here which has collected many great recipes from this site. Hopefully one day the dough generator will be incorporated into pizzamaking.com but for now you can find many great recipes from pizzamaking.com there.  I totally recommend trying the Apizza Scholls style recipe if you like a New York style of pizza. 

amyamrap

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 12:27:06 PM »
More great feedback. I'm going to follow your suggestions and keep baking. I'll post pics of my pies as a chronicle, I hope that's okay.

I'm off to the supermarket soon for ingredients. I'll bake a couple tonight and a couple tomorrow after trying a 16 hour refrigerator rise.

My wife travels a bunch for her job. Last month she was in Barcelona. There was a pizzeria near her hotel. She took a few pics:

amyamrap

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 09:23:55 PM »
4 Balls rising for two hours now. 2 in bowls at ~90 ambient temp and 2 in gallon sized zip lock bags in fridge. First dough I've made that looked good to me. In another hour or so I'll bake 2 pies in oven now heating to 550. I understand the masters use specialty ovens but I have to figure there is no excuse for me not to be able to create a picture perfect Neapolitan in a home electric oven. I'm sure it will take a lot of pies.. a lot!

I just discovered this part of the process is sweet. I have no deadlines, the longer I procrastinate the better rise I get and the hotter my oven gets. Tonight I'll make my first pies with lots of toppings. Tomato caramelized onion sauce,shredded mozzarella, Italian hard salami, red bells, goat cheese, olives,  red onion divided over the 2 pies.

Using KABF. In the '80's my wife used lots of KA flour. She won a contest of some sort and she still has the KA apron she got as a prize. We used lots of pepperoni too and liked a brand made by Patrick Cudahy in Wisconsin. But we were poor. Long story made short is we were able to buy it from the regional food broker at freight car prices. We had to buy 50 lbs, lol. We gave out sticks to guests.

Time to get at it. Set and setting:

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 11:27:56 PM »
using less yeast (say .05-.08%) and doing a tabletop ferment/rise may perhaps help your KAAP develop into a better pizza.   but work on forming the gluten a little more before you ball it to sit.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

amyamrap

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 12:40:45 AM »
Done and done. The dough was great. Mixed, pulled away, healthy complexion, split and balled without objection. Rose real pretty and looked alive. It's me, it's not dough. The first pie shaped like a circle fairly easy. After a bit I was able to stretch it with the knuckle method. It got way too thin in the center. OMG! I'm the first one ever :(  It came out fine and I resolved to work the second pie more conscientiously. The second dough looked like a 45 rpm record. Big hole in the center. I had to bring in extra dough to patch. It came out okay too.

I was incredibly happy with the results. Both pies' crusts were excellent. Just what I was after. Crispy, chewy, tasty, and light. A little bit more char and a little less hard cornicione shell would have been good. I got lucky. Bet I don't do so good next time, lol.

Caramelized onion tomato sauce, Kraft shredded Italian mix cheese, imported hard salami, and red onion on one pizza. Caramelized onion tomato sauce, goat cheese, red bell pepper, and black olives on the other.

They were well made and very delicious. Much better than my wife's recent efforts. She's away for work now and I've already told her so. Thanks to this site!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:01:43 AM by amyamrap »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 09:55:48 AM »
BIG move in the right direction, nice job!

jon

amyamrap

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 05:16:29 PM »
BIG move in the right direction, nice job!

jon

Thanks, jon!