Author Topic: Dessert Pizza with Gjetost (aka brunost aka mesost)  (Read 793 times)

Offline misterschu

Dessert Pizza with Gjetost (aka brunost aka mesost)
« on: November 20, 2013, 02:05:03 PM »
Anyone here ever tried gjetost?  It's a mainly Scandinavian goat "cheese" that goes by different names depending on the country/language.  I just bought some today at a great meat/cheese shop I just found.  I'm also excited because it's 10 min walk from my office and right next to what looks like a great fish shop (which my home neighborhood is sorely lacking).

The flavor is kind of caramel-y and kind of chevre/goat cheese-y.  It reminds me (in flavor) to the cheese from Ritz Bitz with cheese, but a bit sweeter and goatier.  The texture is very similar to fudge (old fashioned style) but smoother. 

I'm thinking of using thin slices on a neapolitan crust for a dessert pie.  I'm not sure how it would do in the oven so I'll have to test whether pre-bake is a possibility.  I think it could pair well with thin apple slices, or really any fruit.

I'll report back once I've actually made the pie  :angel:

Offline Ryan2014

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Dessert Pizza with Gjetost (aka brunost aka mesost)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »
that sounds really good. i'd add some toasted almonds.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »
So I ended up baking a crust, splitting it in half (inflates anyways) and laying on some thin slices of Gjetost.  I did not remember this plan while I was at the store so I didn't have many options to add to it when I made it. I think some crushed pistachios would have been great.  I did try balsamic glaze on it, which added some acidity to brighten the flavor.  I'll have to try again and plan better.

Offline GlennC.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 08:34:32 AM »
Gjetost - interesting choice for pizza. That cheese reminds me of the smell of old peanut butter :)
Texas A&M NCAA National Champions
Men's Track & Field  2011, 2010, 2009 [3-peat]
Women's Track & Field 2011, 2010, 2009 [3-peat]
Women's Basketball 2011

pizzapan