Author Topic: Greek pizza  (Read 120204 times)

Offline The Lord Of The Pizza

• There Will Be Pizza.
Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #550 on: March 25, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
Hello all!  I am trying my hand at the wonderful formulation for Greek Style from Pete found here (reply #401): http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=691.msg181657#msg181657
with the IDY percentage suggestion for a cold ferment that Pete and CDNPielover arrived at, 0.5% found here (Replies 409 and 410): http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=691.msg182059#msg182059

I plan on a minimum 2 day ferment with possibly longer depending on when I am ready to make the pizza.

[Equipment]

- 9 Inch heavy and thick black steel cake pan
- Food processor
-Oxo Digital Scale
- Oven Heated at 550
-Pastry Brush
[Ingredients]

Dough:

- King Arthur Bread Flour
- water
- instant dry yeast
- salt
- olive oil
- soybean oil
- sugar

Cheese:

- Whole Milk mozzarella-2 ounces
- Sharp Cheddar-2 ounces

I like this combo personally and decided to go with it.

Sauce:

- Kenji's New York Style Pizza Sauce with dried Basil added
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

I use this sauce on just about everything.  I really love the sweetness and richness of it.  I also use Vidalia onions in the onion part as it releases their sweetness into the sauce which I really love!

Toppings:

- Food Lion Pepperoni-14-17 slices
- Black Olives-8 sliced

Other:

- canola or olive oil for brushing the pan.  Have not decided yet but am leaning towards Canola.  1 1/2 teaspoons with a pastry brush.

[Dough Formulation for 2,  9" pizzas]

New England Greek Pizza
Flour (100%):    198.68 g  |  7.01 oz | 0.44 lbs
Water (50.8561%):    101.04 g  |  3.56 oz | 0.22 lbs
IDY (0.5%):    0.99 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.33 tsp | 0.11 tbsp
Salt (1.77188%):    3.52 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.04 tsp | 0.35 tbsp
Olive Oil (0.4%):    0.79 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.18 tsp | 0.06 tbsp
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (3.6%):    7.15 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.57 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
Sugar (2.1093%):    4.19 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.05 tsp | 0.35 tbsp
Total (159.23728%):   316.38 g | 11.16 oz | 0.7 lbs | TF = 0.08771
Single Ball:   158.19 g | 5.58 oz | 0.35 lbs

[Dough Preparation, approximately 48 hours before Pizza Day or longer]

- Into the bowl of the food processor, add 198.68 g of flour, 4.19 g of sugar, and 0.99 g of IDY.  Process flour, sugar, and yeast in food processor until combined, about 3 seconds.

- With processor running, slowly add 101.04 g of water (Temperature around 90-95 degrees; process dough until just combined and no dry flour remains, about 10 seconds. Let dough stand for 10 minutes.

-Add 0.79 g Olive Oil, 7.15 g Vegetable Oil,  and 3.52 g salt to dough and process until dough forms satiny, sticky ball that clears sides of work bowl, 30 to 60 seconds.

- Put dough in fridge for approximately 48 hours or longer.

[Sauce Preparation]

-New York Style Pizza Sauce  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

[On Pizza Day]

- Transfer dough to floured counter and cover with plastic wrap and allow to warm to room temperature for 1 hour.

- Liberally oil the 9" pizza pan with canola oil. 1 1/2 teaspoons with a pastry brush.

- Press dough out into the pizza pan.

- Allow dough to rise at room temp in the pan for an hour and 40 minutes.   Start pre-heating the oven at 550F about an hour into
  this dough rising process.

- After the hour and 40 are up, transfer pan with dough to top of preheating oven, for about more 20 minutes of rising.

-  Using a Pastry Brush, apply sauce all the way to the edge, followed by toppings.

- Apply 50:50 blend (mozzarella / sharp cheddar) of cheese, right to the edge.

- Cook for 9-13 minutes on  the bottom rack in the 550 degree oven.

This will be my layout and procedure.  I really liked cmyden's clear layout and procedure on Reply #502  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=691.msg237622#msg237622  and decided to adopt it as a template for my recipe and anyone wanting to know what I am doing.  It also makes recipe sharing really easy!  I hope they don't mind borrowing the layout!  I love it!

Wish me luck!
LOVED IT!!!!  Made two one for me and one for my wife!

What do you guys think, does it look correct?
Cooking can be a reflection of your approach to everything. Do the best that you can and if you burn the toast, do it again, right.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #551 on: March 25, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »
LOVED IT!!!!  Made two one for me and one for my wife!

What do you guys think, does it look correct?
The Lord of the Pizza,

The pizzas look beautiful. You aced it. You are now truly the Lord of the Pizza ;D.

Peter

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #552 on: March 25, 2015, 07:54:02 PM »
I never considered making that style of pizza, until just now!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #553 on: March 25, 2015, 08:13:41 PM »
The Lord of the Pizza,

The pizzas look beautiful. You aced it. You are now truly the Lord of the Pizza ;D.

Peter

Lord of Pizza,

^^^

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline The Lord Of The Pizza

• There Will Be Pizza.
« Reply #554 on: March 25, 2015, 08:14:20 PM »
The Lord of the Pizza,

Peter
I was telling my wife about you and the others on this site how helpful and in depth the information is.  She told me she felt that all pizza is possible and within our grasp now that I have become active on the site.  She and I really appreciate all that you and the others do and it really means a lot to us to be able to take the information provided and make a great and memorable meal.  Now I am on the hunt again for pizza (aren`t we all) and charged with the task of getting some dough ready.  Any good suggestions using cast iron?

Just curious, have you thought about writing a book or something?  Your body of work is extensive on this subject and better than all the pizza books I own.  I can't say enough how much I really am honored to read your work.

Adam
Cooking can be a reflection of your approach to everything. Do the best that you can and if you burn the toast, do it again, right.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #555 on: March 25, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »
Just curious, have you thought about writing a book or something?  Your body of work is extensive on this subject and better than all the pizza books I own.  I can't say enough how much I really am honored to read your work.

Adam
Adam,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I am honored in return that what I have posted on the forum may have helped you.

To answer your question, no, I have not considered writing a book or anything else. Pizza is just a hobby with me, and the study of it, especially the science and math parts of it, keeps my mind working and hopefully in good order. This forum has some terrific people on it, many of whom I look upon as friends even though they are just virtual friends. They are very smart, talented and generous. This forum has grown significantly over the years, thanks to the leadership of Steve, the owner of the forum, and it is the quality and character of the members and the content they have created and their dedication to helping others that has made this forum the place to come to to learn about pizza. I should also put in a plug for the Moderators. They are as necessary to the forum as any other forum function.

Peter