Author Topic: Restaurant quality calzone  (Read 766 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Restaurant quality calzone
« on: November 20, 2013, 02:14:09 PM »
Here's my best attempt yet folks.  Calzones are a little tougher to make because the seal (where the two ends meet) tends to get too crunchy and hard due to baking conditions.  A perfect calzone should be thin all around and flat.  The baking part is definitely the most important part.

Formulation:

150g GM Better for Bread Flour
58% water
1.5% salt
5% oil
4g sugar
1% yeast

Cold ferment for 48hrs.  When ready to bake smash out all of the air and stretch out to roughly 1/8 in.  You don't want it to window pane thin.  Add your toppings and bake on a preheat stone at 525 with convection if you have it.  I am able to put it right on the stone with my hands.   Remove from stone after 3-3:3mins and move to a pan to finish off the top and sides of the crust.  Not baking the bottom anymore is crucial here.  You can put the pan directly on the hot stone.  After another 3 mins (or until your crust is golden brown) its ready to come out.  Let it cool on a wire rack so it doesn't get soggy on the bottom.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:35:31 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Restaurant quality calzone
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
Looks great, pythonic!  Now I want a calzone  :drool: My mom always made these when I was a kid and oh how I loved them!  She filled them with Ricotta, mozzarella, and thinly sliced ham.  What's in your filling?
Mary Ann

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Restaurant quality calzone
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »
Thanks.  I season my ricotta with salt, pepper and a little Romano.  I usually go with pepperoni, mushroom, ricotta, mozzarella and provalone.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.