Author Topic: Which kind of flour  (Read 993 times)

Offline mikeythai

Which kind of flour
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:41:16 PM »
Hi. I want to make New York Pizza...I live in SE Asia and the flour choices available to me are...

00, Bread, All Purpose, Cake.

Don't see high gluten anywhere. What is my best choice?

scott123

Re: Which kind of flour
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:46:17 PM »
Mike, the bread flour might be your best bet, but I'd check the protein percentages for both the bread and the 00.  Ideally, you want to find something that's higher than 12% protein (but lower than 13.5%).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:29:48 PM by scott123 »

Offline mikeythai

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:28:32 PM »
Thanks Scott.

Offline caltheide

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 12:13:22 PM »
Mike, the bread flour might be your best bet, but I'd check the protein percentages for both the bread and the 00.  Ideally, you want to find something that's higher than 12% protein (but lower than 13.5%).

Scott, why lower than 13.5?  I was thinking of buying some King Arthur Sir Lancelot which is over 14%.  Is that not good for pizza?  Thanks, Cindy.

scott123

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 12:56:59 PM »
Cindy, you'll find varying opinions on this, but I feel very strongly that KASL is NOT good for pizza. Great for bagels, but not pizza.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 01:11:23 AM »
Cindy, you'll find varying opinions on this, but I feel very strongly that KASL is NOT good for pizza. Great for bagels, but not pizza.
  I believe that KASL would be too tough for pizza, but great for bagels.  I've used All Trumps, which is pretty high in protein, but decided I don't like it for pizza--makes awesome bagels, though.  KA Bread flour is nice for pizza dough, but lately I've been partial to half bromated Occident flour with half KA AP flour.  Your oven temp and hydration level are also going to play a role in your dough, not to mention if you add honey, sugar, or oil to it-miniscule amounts if so--a dab will do you.  Salt helps to develop the gluten when mixing at a later stage.  I tend to mix my dough in three stages; flour absorption, salt, any   flavor and its contribution to gluten development, and any kneading and/or stretch and fold processes 

I suddenly need to make bagels. :D

Offline caltheide

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 03:17:21 PM »
thank you scott and dhorst, I guess I'll rethink the KASL flour.   Maybe this is good cause it is kind of expensive.