Author Topic: Prep area for mobile operations  (Read 933 times)

Offline PizzaJerk

Prep area for mobile operations
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »
As the title states, I'm interested in what others are doing in terms of typical preparation for mobile events. I am under the understanding that a prep area must be approved by the health department and meet certain code requirements. I currently manage a pizzeria so I guess some of my thought process comes from the business side of it. I just feel that it would be quite difficult to meet the rent for the mobile operator if one would operate out of a commercial space, leading me to believe that some would be provoked into using their own kitchen. Any insight is appreciated.

Regards,
Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Prep area for mobile operations
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:54:23 PM »
I use a commercial kitchen where I only pay for hours used. Could you use the kitchen of the shop you manage on off hours? There should be lots of ways to use/share commercial kitchen space that can be very cost effective if you ask around. Once you find one, that's where you get your cert.

You need to find specifics on what's required in your locale.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:16:56 PM »
churches, bakeries, schools all have certified kitchens that are acceptable and available for rent in the off hours. Or search Commisary Kitchen  $25 and Hour should not break the Bank. I am lucky and have some good friends in the pizza bus. who  allow me to come and go as I please and wont accept compensation. If they wont do it where you work or you dont want them to know what your doing find other pizzerias and get to know whos who There are some bad apples and some really cool people who will want to help you out.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 10:31:39 AM »
 i have a mobile oven and a pizzeria in ohio. we do most of our prep for the mobile out of the pizzeria. there have been times where we had a hard time handling dough for the restaurant and the mobile so i built a kitchen in my garage to handle the overflow.i applied for a home baking license from the Ohio dept of agriculture. it was 30.00 dollars and there requirements are a hand sink, ingredient label all product [ flour, water,salt, yeast],and no pets.
 i think most states have this type of license available you may want to research it.

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »
Thank you very much for your replies gentlemen, I am grateful for having your insight to use at my disposal being that I follow your operations closely and with much admiration.

I have one of those owners that watches me very closely and takes even my side jobs of catering as a threat so involving him would be a death sentence. Kinda sad since I've worked for him since the age of 12 and for 15 years, you'd think I would have his blessing.

I do, however, cater for my church and have run that thought through my head so perhaps I can work something out there. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Regards,
Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline makin moves

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »
My mobile operation is self contained. Everthing is done inside the truck.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 11:39:40 AM »
i have a mobile oven and a pizzeria in ohio. we do most of our prep for the mobile out of the pizzeria. there have been times where we had a hard time handling dough for the restaurant and the mobile so i built a kitchen in my garage to handle the overflow.i applied for a home baking license from the Ohio dept of agriculture. it was 30.00 dollars and there requirements are a hand sink, ingredient label all product [ flour, water,salt, yeast],and no pets.
 i think most states have this type of license available you may want to research it.

Help me understand this. If you're making dough for mobile pizza out of your home, you're not going to have ingredient labels on your pizzas. So what am I missing? Also, if you're a licensed bakery, you'll have no legal right to prep anything that is considered subject to spoilage, correct? Like prepping cheese and other ingredients for mobile sale?
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Barnstable

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »
Hi makin moves,

That`s a serious set up! Not to mention the cleaning :). It all looks very new. As you know, these ovens can be very top heavy on their dedicated stands and very heavy full stop. Can I ask how you have mounted the oven on your vehicle. Would be fascinated to see the more pics inside and out. Well done, looks great.

Regards,

Darren

Offline makin moves

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 06:07:28 PM »
Each leg is bolted through the foor then tied in to steel plates that cross the frame rails and tie's in to them as well. Iam not in any kind of race with it slow and easy. I also dont have far to drive to work it. The setup is new thanks for the compliment. It was a fun build :)

pizzapan