Author Topic: New to pizza making and I might be in a bit of a predicament.  (Read 6021 times)

Offline PizzaGuy209

• Working my way up!
Re: New to pizza making and I might be in a bit of a predicament.
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »
Once you get the right proofing pans, that all changes.

I cannot freaking wait. I feel like hes either going to fire those 2 guys and let me take control ir sell the place...  he can at least buy 3 proofing boxes to start..

Also scott, that new recipe you sent, will that work in 24 hours instead of 48?

Online scott123

« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »
Like we're gonna see you waiting in line at Di Fara ? :drool: :-D

:-D You noticed I didn't say elegance  :)  FWIW, it is simple, I'll give it that- and same day ferments are definitely the majority, but then bad pizza is also the majority (here in NY), so you get what you pay for (in fermentation hours).

In a perfect world, as dough knowledge, technology and distribution channels increased, NY style pizza would have seen a progressive improvement over the last 20 years- we would have a lineage we could trace all the way back to WWII, which could be used as a foundation for our future- and thoroughly define authenticity.  But we don't have that. Those decades are gone. There's no pedigree. That line has, for the part, ended. I'm taking what's basically a 20 year old product and applying new knowledge and technology- and trying, within that paradigm, to carve out something that stays true to NY style's history while incorporating improvements. Within that scope, maintaining a sense of authenticity becomes difficult.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:08:58 PM by scott123 »

Offline PizzaGuy209

• Working my way up!
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2013, 01:01:34 AM »
If you happen to read this when you're online scott, I was wondering if your recipe will work for a 24 hour fermentation

Online scott123

« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2013, 02:57:37 AM »
If you happen to read this when you're online scott, I was wondering if your recipe will work for a 24 hour fermentation

BJ, now that the dust has settled a bit, based on your observation that it was highly likely that your boss was turning the refrigerator off at night, I would try the original recipe, with a less drastic tweak, in a reliable refrigerator- 2 T. yeast, rather than the original 2.5 or the kneejerk reaction 1 T. that I gave you recently.

But, this is, of course, all based upon your having access to a refrigerator that can store this much dough, along with an oven that can bake 20" pizzas.

It's sounds like you might have access to either the old place or your uncle's place, but it wouldn't hurt to start doing tests at home.  If you look hard enough, you should be able to find large round plastic disposable covered bowls (gladware, ziplock, etc) at the supermarket/walmart for less than $5.  If you source 1/2" steel plate carefully, you can find it for less than $50.  Add another $20 for an 18" wooden peel, and you've pretty much got everything you need to match a professional environment at home. You won't be able to make 20" pies, but your oven should be big enough to handle 17" or even 18" pizzas- and that dimension should be perfectly fine to learn on.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 04:41:20 AM by scott123 »

Offline PizzaGuy209

• Working my way up!
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2013, 08:34:17 PM »
I wonder if there's a chat site we can all hang out at. Live chat would be coolio.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2013, 11:27:52 AM »
Do you ave a sheet pan rack??? A cheap way around expensive proofing boxes are sheet pans..  I lot of sheet pans fit in a small, tight area....and sheet pans are dirt cheap, especially used. 

I know a few places in connecticut that uses plastic wrap covered sheet pans because they prefer them toro offing boxes.

Offline PizzaGuy209

• Working my way up!
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2013, 05:22:27 AM »

Offline PizzaGuy209

• Working my way up!
« Reply #127 on: December 27, 2013, 05:09:22 PM »
Thought I'd post a quick update. I got a 1 way ticket to chicago, living with my sister and brother in law!

Thought i'd share that AND the owner of the previous pizza place is selling the business. He hasen't even owned it for a month. He basically said the two guys aren't doing a good job... I wish I were there to laugh in his face.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 05:15:15 PM by PizzaGuy209 »

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2014, 03:07:05 PM »
Thought I'd post a quick update. I got a 1 way ticket to chicago, living with my sister and brother in law!

Thought i'd share that AND the owner of the previous pizza place is selling the business. He hasen't even owned it for a month. He basically said the two guys aren't doing a good job... I wish I were there to laugh in his face.

Congragulations on your move.  If you are in the central Ohio area stop in for a visit and some pizza instruction.  Walter

pizzapan