Author Topic: Is it OK to use flour that's been in the freezer to activate starter?  (Read 411 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
I took the plunge and ordered the Italian cultures from sourdo.com.  All the flour I have on hand has been in the freezer between 1-6 months.  I did that to kill the "critters" that are in flour, but perhaps those critters are a good thing for sourdough organisms?

Thanks,
Jonas
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Is it OK to use flour that's been in the freezer to activate starter?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
The critters you are trying to kill in the freezer hatch from eggs, walk on legs, and eat with a mouth.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 07:07:29 PM »
Yeah, but maybe the acid from the critter eggs is essential to the pH of the lactobacillus, blah, blah, blah.  Starters seem like a cross between microbiology, genetics and rocket science.  I just want to get out of the gate without doing something totally stupid :-D
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 07:11:38 PM »
Yeah, but maybe the acid from the critter eggs is essential to the pH of the lactobacillus, blah, blah, blah.  Starters seem like a cross between microbiology, genetics and rocket science.  I just want to get out of the gate without doing something totally stupid :-D

I think you will be fine. And, bugs are not the right kind of protein for dough.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:23:06 AM »
Craig,
In your opinion, does the freezing do any good to kill the critters or does it just suspend their hatch until you remove it from the freezer?

pizzapan