Author Topic: Wild Rise - Dumbo, Brooklyn, NY  (Read 2093 times)

Offline misterschu

Wild Rise - Dumbo, Brooklyn, NY
« on: November 21, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »
This is the most sour sourdough pizza I've ever had.  Any other members eaten here? 

I've seen some mention of Wild Rise here but the only devoted thread to it was a couple years ago after Slice review came out. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15696.0.html

I've eaten here more recently than what I've seen mentioned on any thread.  I think the pie creation has improved as all the pies I've gotten there have looked better than the photos I've seen around.  They don't get a huge spring in the cornicione but it does rise above the rest of the pie.  One interesting thing they do here is that there is no dedicated pizza cook.  Every waiter sees your order from start to finish.  This also explains some of the inconsistency.   You waiter takes your order, stretches, tops and cooks your pie, makes your salad and then delivers it all to you.  One more point to add is that they look for very animated, lively people to hire, because the owner likes them to tell the story of his pizza - all the way from how the water buffalo whose milk is used for the cheese were protected during WWII to the the lactobacillus in the dough - and then trains them in making pies.

The oven they use is really unique.  It's a kiln that they use for cooking.  It cooks quickly, though I haven't timed the pies (I will next time), and extremely evenly. Once they launch the pie they let it sit until it comes out. They never turn and they never dome.  There's a little eye hole with a plug that they use to check on it.  They look like the have a pretty strict regimen in terms of setting the temperature on the kiln.  They use an IR thermometer regularly to check the cooking floor, and use the digital control panel to set the temp, setting it when the pies launch, then setting it again when the oven's empty. 

I think anyone who gets a chance should try it, they make a very solid pie and have the most flavorful dough I've had at a commercial shop.

Offline arspistorica

• Keep that which is simple abundant.
Re: Wild Rise - Dumbo, Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »
Only in effin' DUMBO.  Their "oven" is indeed unique.  I admire the idea behind it, as it could be used in places with limited space, but I'm not sure what I think of it, as it only supports one pizza at a time.
"Senza il mio territorio sarei solo un panificatore."
                                  -Franco Pepe

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 05:26:04 PM »
but I'm not sure what I think of it, as it only supports one pizza at a time.

I've been to plenty of places with big a WFO that seem to only be able to bake one pie at a time...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline arspistorica

• Keep that which is simple abundant.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »
I've been to plenty of places with big a WFO that seem to only be able to bake one pie at a time...

Agreed and that seems like a waste to me.  Just my opinion.
"Senza il mio territorio sarei solo un panificatore."
                                  -Franco Pepe

Offline misterschu

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »
Only in effin' DUMBO.  Their "oven" is indeed unique.  I admire the idea behind it, as it could be used in places with limited space, but I'm not sure what I think of it, as it only supports one pizza at a time.

This never seemed like a limiting factor when I've been in there.  The longest wait I've seen was a guy who ordered 7-8 pies to go.  He was out of there in under a half hour.  They are in a small space.  They rent the back corner of a small bar in DUMBO. The whole bar could hold maybe 75-100 people standing, there are seats at the bar for like 12-14 and tables/benches around to seat another 30.  But since it's a bar it's customers are mostly looking for a drink, and maybe a pizza to snack on while they drink, the focus is not on full blown dinner service for every customer.

pizzapan