Author Topic: selling pizza from home kitchen  (Read 3489 times)

Offline terryfisher09

• I Love Pizza!
Re: selling pizza from home kitchen
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 01:52:59 PM »
you took two statements from two posts and mix it into one statement ...  not cool.. this is purely a business statement
so please can we stay on the subject : )  focus is a big thing.. still waiting for help from other members. 

This statement is the most interesting aspect to this post, besides you asking those trying to help you to "stay on the subject"

Is there a common courtesy issue here?

Mark

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 02:56:54 PM »
please keep in mind this is 5-6 pies a day and I don't intend to make it bigger than this.. just wana make my 3 bigones evey month.

Who do you think is gonna order from you if you limit business to 5-6 pizzas a day? And if you are able to maintain such a business model, are you gonna run the oven all day, or are you gonna be open for an hour? A specific hour?

If I'm gonna jump through your hoops and try to order from you, your stuff better be by far the best pizza I've ever had (if I can even get any of it).

Wait a minute. Nevermind. I'm not gonna jump through your hoops.

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »
You can really get $25.00 a pizza?

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »
Bye....I'm done........GOOD luck....

Offline terryfisher09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 11:59:04 PM »
with delivery this is the minimum bill amount.
it's a large size.
and considering the size of this operation, a counter top electric commercial grade will be enough, and I will only offer two sizes.
I have my eye now on zesto ( price)  and admiral ( 975)

You can really get $25.00 a pizza?

Offline scott123

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 12:05:08 AM »
Terry, do not buy a countertop pizza oven. They're nothing more than a toaster oven with stones.

How hot does your home oven get? What style of pizza are you planning on selling?

Offline terryfisher09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 09:43:06 AM »
thanks for the advice scott : )

325 degree celsius
It's not napolitana, nor deep dish, it's close to American style pizza. The pizza has a rim, and how I open the dough, is by pushing the dough evenly  first to the edges to a certain size, then roll the dough out , then hand toss/stretch it to it's final size.

then I place it on corn mealed peel baord, make a rim and top it off before throwing it into the oven.

Where I work I cook it at 450-550 C on a bakers pride pizza stone runs on gas, and I turn the pizza  to make sure all sides are cooked. I have always to be quick not to lose the oven temp so I'm swift in getting the pizza in and out of the oven. 

I'm giving this details because I want to replicate what I do at work but on a smaller scale ofcourse.
Terry, do not buy a countertop pizza oven. They're nothing more than a toaster oven with stones.

How hot does your home oven get? What style of pizza are you planning on selling?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 11:56:07 AM by terryfisher09 »

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 12:05:55 AM »
$25 Canadian for a American style pizza?  That better be some really good pizza.  You can get two larges at Pizza Hut for $22.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 02:16:03 PM »
Guess he didn't like the answers he recieved......

Offline terryfisher09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »
I'm at the point where I have all the details I want to license my kitchen from the city.
I know few people who did it, and they provide me with the information.

As for the pizza style, it is not an american style pizza, I don't know what style it is. But it is high quality
and it is better than domino's or little crease's and I do not plan to compete with anyone by the way.

I have also decided on the menu, and my wife is backing me on this.
I'm souring out used equipment and I'm buying it as money becomes available.

As for marketing I'm project 300 per month.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »
Good luck. A lot of people on here commented about your prices but I don't think they understand the cost of pizza is Canada is in no way relative to the cost of pizza in the US. Mozzarella costs 3x in Canada what it does in the states. Same with chicken.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »
Chicken?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 09:45:35 PM »
It is amazing to me when I tell people to bring over toppings they want for pizza how many bring chicken.   There is no chicken in pizza.  I have caved on a couple for my neighbor, but I cringed the whole time.  I am Pizza Anarchy, but that is beyond the pale. 

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »
Chicken is just another item like cheese that is extremely expensive in Canada compared to the US.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2014, 11:33:55 PM »
It is amazing to me when I tell people to bring over toppings they want for pizza how many bring chicken.   There is no chicken in pizza.  I have caved on a couple for my neighbor, but I cringed the whole time.  I am Pizza Anarchy, but that is beyond the pale.
This amuses me for some weird reason. Different strokes.......I feel the same about broccoli or Brussel sprouts.

I'm not a huge fan of chicken on pizza, but I've had a pesto based one with chix, pine nuts and roasted hot peppers that was really good.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline elpipetuanis

• Best Recipes Evar
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »

I make a Bbq chicken pizza, a chicken bacon ranch pizza and an Alfredo chicken pizza. But when it comes to normal pizza no chicken please.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 09:42:43 PM »
I lived in Canada for about 12 years.  A large pizza from a high quality, non-chain shop will definitely set you back $30+. 

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2014, 09:50:14 AM »
A couple more aspects to consider are insurance and utilities. First off you might want to check with your insurance agent to make sure you are sufficiently covered in the event that something goes wrong and someone gets sick, or worse. Then you will probably want to find some small size commercial equipment, like an oven and possibly a mixer and make sure you have utilities (gas and/or electric) capable of supporting that equipment. I've been involved with a number of home conversions into pizzerias (that's how Home Run Inn Pizza got their start in Chicago) and in most cases we had to make modifications to the gas supply, but in some instances we had to have a new breaker panel installed to support the added power needed to operate an electric oven. It will depend upon how many amps are needed and how many amps you have available at your breaker box to tap into.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline terryfisher09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2014, 10:33:16 AM »
Thanks for tips Doctor : )

A couple more aspects to consider are insurance and utilities.

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 12:00:07 PM »
I've done the same thing for a while. The theme basically was every friday I would make one dish, mostly something "streetfood", but would go all anal about it, kind of like that Heston Blumenthal series "In search for perfection". I've made Ramen, Thai dishes, gumbo, ma po tofu, burritos, burgers you name it. I created a facebook page and on that I announced the dish I would serve that friday. It snowballed from 6 to 60 people a night. I was always guerrilla, never asked for permits and whatnot. Good fun, okay money. I'll probably start doing it again once my wfo is finished.