Author Topic: KA White Whole Wheat and KA Bread Flour 50/50  (Read 867 times)

Offline PseudoK22

• I Love Pizza!
KA White Whole Wheat and KA Bread Flour 50/50
« on: October 04, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »
This is my first shot at making any type of whole wheat pie.  It was the only way I could convince my girlfriend to let me keep feeding her my pizza experiments.   ;D   I was shooting for two 14" pies, similar to NY style.  Here's the recipe I settled on:

Flour (100%):    434.48 g  |  15.33 oz | 0.96 lbs
Water (72%):    312.83 g  |  11.03 oz | 0.69 lbs
ADY (1.3%):    5.65 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.49 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
Salt (4%):    17.38 g | 0.61 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.62 tsp | 1.21 tbsp
Olive Oil (1%):    4.34 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.97 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
Non-Diastatic Barley Malt Syrup (2.5%):    10.86 g | 0.38 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.55 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
Total (180.8%):   785.55 g | 27.71 oz | 1.73 lbs | TF = 0.09
Single Ball:   392.77 g | 13.85 oz | 0.87 lbs

As noted in the subject, the flour was a 50/50 split between KA White Whole Wheat and KA Bread Flour.  The barley malt syrup was used in place of sugar mainly because I bought it for the purpose of making bagels last weekend, and figured I ought to use it in something.

I proofed the ADY in a small amount of warm water in the mixing bowl, and mixed the malt syrup with the remaining water.  Added the syrup water to the yeast water and added roughly 80% of the flour and all of the salt, and mixed on low for maybe 2 minutes, just until everything came together.  I covered this and let it rest 15 minutes.  I then put the mixer back on low and slowly worked in the rest of the flour.  This took maybe 3 minutes to get a firm ball.  Turned the mixer up to second speed and kneaded for about 8 minutes.  I wasn't getting the window-paning I was looking for, so I let it go another 2-3 minutes.  It looked good at that point, so out of the mixer, balled and put into an oiled bowl on the counter top for 2 hours.  It was still a bit tacky when I first took it out of the mixer, but I had read that it would suck up some more moisture as it rested, so I decided to have faith.  It did dry up a bit more while on the counter.

I had already gotten quite a bit of rise, so I punched it down lightly, split in two, and re-balled.  Then, off to the fridge for 24 hours.

The next day, I pulled one dough ball and heated the oven to 500F (my max) for about 80 minutes with the stone on the lowest rack.  Shaped, brushed with a tiny bit of olive oil, and topped with fresh mozzarella, sauteed spinach, and a little fontina.

Gave it probably about 7-8 minutes in the oven, turning once because my oven heats unevenly.  Below you can see the finished product.  I think I could definitely make some adjustments.  The bottom browned pretty nicely and had a good crunch.  I probably could've gotten some more color on top before I pulled it.  The texture was also not quite right for my liking, as I prefer a more open, airy crust.  This was a little dense and the slightest bit dry.  Stupid whole wheat.  (The picture of the slice makes it look more open than it really was.  I must have just happened to cut that one in the middle of a big bubble.)

I think I could probably up the hydration even more, and next time I might let the dough rest on the peel for a few minutes after shaping.

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
Re: KA White Whole Wheat and KA Bread Flour 50/50
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:05:49 PM »
I would recommend dropping the salt to about 2% and increasing the oil to about 3%.  Those two changes should make the pizza seem less dry without adding any more water.

Since the dough will be warm coming out of the mixer, I would put it in the cooler within a half hour.  Conversely I would give it a good two hours on the counter before baking for a better rise. 

Offline PseudoK22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 03:56:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I'll take your recommendations on the salt and oil.  If I have the time, I'll give the dough the extra 40 minutes rest that you recommend as well, but I usually make pizza on a week night (I travel a lot on weekends), so waiting until 8-8:30 to get it in the oven after work is just too late.

Either way, I'll be sure to post the outcome.  Thanks again!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:33:20 PM »
I think it looks pretty good. If it is going to be a long fermentation in the fridge,  I generally don't get anywhere near a windowpane - even with 100% whole wheat.  The dough will get together nicely just while sitting in the fridge -  so I normally mix a minute or two, rest a short time, and mix for maybe 2 minutes, then one or two stretch and folds before I bulk ferment.

pizzapan