Author Topic: Mr. Gatti's pizza  (Read 7190 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Mr. Gatti's pizza
« on: March 24, 2004, 01:53:13 PM »
Mr. Gatti's used smoked provolone on their pizzas and I thought it was very good.  Anybody else ever eat at one of their resturants?
They were populr in the 70's before Dominos game along.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Mr. Gatti's pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 02:55:15 PM »
I ate a lot of Gatti's when I lived in Kentucky. Very unique tasting pizza. Always served on aluminum foil.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 03:17:58 PM »
Smoked provolone huh?
Sounds good gonna have to pick some up at my cheese store this weekend.
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 03:37:19 PM »
I use to love them.  But last time i ate at one it wasn't very good :(

May have just been a timing issue.  There aren't any around here anymore.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 11:44:26 PM »
I only remember eatign there once when I was really young.  I'm talkin single digits.  It was at some party.  Back then I was too small to worry about things like finding the perfect pizza.  It was just "pizza gimme gimme gimme!
Trancending time, an age old battle with no victor...

An eternal struggle withthin every being...

The threads of fate which bind the very essence of existence...

Thick crust, or thin?

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 11:59:46 PM »
I think that when we were in single digit age all pizza was the best.
I personally still hold a fondness for the cheese topped leather that I was served in the school lunchroom a few decades ago. ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 10:51:34 AM »
Regarding the Provolone...there are many types and flavors out there, but the taste is very good and different. Enjoy.

BParker

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 12:28:42 AM »
I love Mr. Gattis pizza.  Im from Texas and I get it every chance I can.  Its the best we can get here as far as Im concerned.  Its true that its not as good as it used to be but its still my favorite pizza chain.

Offline torito

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Mr. Gatti's pizza
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 06:28:28 PM »
I'm from Austin and remember Mr. Gattis when it was called "The Pizza Place". To this day, I think it was by far the best pizza ever. If anyone from the early days remember the recipies, I would be eternally greatfull to have them. If you don't want to share, please open your own pizzaria.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 10:57:44 AM »
Their are 3 Mr Gatti's pizza places here in Baton Rouge today. The pies are pretty good not as good as mine or Shakeys from the 70's. I never noticed a smoked cheese taste here, But their was a small chain of pizza places here in the early 80's called Johns pizza, They used a blend of yellow and white cheeses that did have a smokey flavor. Guess who threatend to sue them if they change names. They soon after closed :-\

Offline bbear

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 01:36:07 PM »
I used to work at a gatti's in Indiana in '84 - '85. I "made" the dough pretty often. It was about 25 lbs of balancer(?) high gluton flour. 15 lbs of water, 1 package of yeast and a "spice" bag that about the size of a baseball. Also added about a cup of olive oil to the dough while mixing. There was a variation for deep dish that was the same except it required 3 packages of yeast and a different spice bag. The deep dish spice bag definately had corn meal in it. The crust had a yellow color when it was done.

After the dough was mixed, we would dump it into a 50 gallon plastic garbage can and let it rise from about midnight to 5 am. In the morning, it would be rolled out using a dough roller and cut into circles with large cookie cutter type things.
They would be stacked in the cooler between layers of aluminum foil. The deep dish would be placed into an oiled pan and the precooked for 3 minutes around noon and put back in the cooler.

The sauce was pizza sauce from a can. I don't remember the brand, but it had a woman in a white dress on the label. There was another spice bag added to the sauce.

The cheese was 100% provalone. It came in pre-sliced blocks. The cheese was never shredded. I think this helped the flavor a lot.

The dough was pulled from the cooler and docked. Sauce was placed on top, followed by the slices of cheese, and then the toppings. After they were made they were cooked on the sheet of aluminum foil in a blodgett dual deck oven at 600 degrees for about 5 or 6 minutes. It took about the same amount of time for the regular crust and deep dish to cook. The deep dish was about the same thickness as a pizza hut pan pizza.

That store still exists and I eat there fairly often. They have changed the dough since I worked there. The deep dish is gone, replaced by a pizza hut style pan pizza. The regular crust tastes about the same as it did then, so maybe just the deep dish dough is different.

They also have a conveyor oven now instead of the decks, and they cook on a sheet of paper rather than foil. It doesn't really seem to affect the end product though.

I don't know for sure what was in the spice bags, but I think it was salt, sugar, and pepper in the reqular crust and salt, sugar and corn meal in the deep dish  crust. The deep dish spice bag was larger than the one used in the regular crust.

Offline Puggly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 12:34:15 PM »
Their are 3 Mr Gatti's pizza places here in Baton Rouge today. The pies are pretty good not as good as mine or Shakeys from the 70's.

I would love your recipe ! Have always loved Mr Gatti's and being from Texas, that is about all we have, we really don't know what good pizza is here. Do you have any suggestion on the best recipe, not just American style, but really good pizza. 
There is no one quite as arrogant as a truly stupid person.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 01:52:44 PM »
BBear, nice post, sorry I didn't see it sooner.

Randy

Offline conehunter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 02:00:48 AM »
Not sure if this is the right thread for my question, but I'll try anyways.

Does anyone know of a copycat recipe for Mr Gattis seasoned parmesan cheese?

Since finding this forum, that's the only thing I miss from Mr Gs. And I don't want to have to steal one of their shakers to get their seasoned parmesan cheese. >:D

pizzapan