Author Topic: Replaced Kitchen Aid "J" dough hook with spiral dough hook  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Antilope

Replaced Kitchen Aid "J" dough hook with spiral dough hook
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:23:30 PM »
I have a Kitchen Aid PRO 500 Series 5-Quart Mixer, model number (KSM500PS). It came with a conventional "J" dough hook (part # K5BDH Bunished Dough Hook). It is a bowl lift model.
I've seen other Kitchen Aid 5-qt mixers that come with a spiral dough hook and wondered if it would fit and work on my model mixer.
I compared my mixer beater and whisk replacement model numbers with the replacement numbers of the spiral dough hook mixer. They matched. So I figured the spiral dough hook should fit my mixer.
I ordered the Kitchen Aid Spiral Dough Hook, Burnished, part #KNS256BDH for $ 19.95 and it fits and works perfectly in my mixer. They are carried at Amazon and QVC among others.
Here are the beater and whisk replacement numbers of my mixer:
Kitchen Aid PRO 500 Series 5-Quart Mixer (KSM500PS).
-KitchenAid Bunished Flat Beater - K5ABB .
-KitchenAid K5AWW Wire Whip Stainless Steel - K5AWW.
-KitchenAid Bunished Dough Hook (regular "J" dough hook) - K5BDH
If these beaters and whisk models match your Kitchen Aid 5-qt mixer, the spiral replacement hook (KNS256BDH) should fit your mixer also.

Online shuboyje

Re: Replaced Kitchen Aid "J" dough hook with spiral dough hook
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:50:56 PM »
Be careful.  The models designed to use the spiral hook have a thrust bearing, those not designed to use it do not. Cursing a spiral hook on a mixer without a thrust bearing will destroy the bearing prematurely.  I'm not saying your mixer doesn't have the proper bearing, but considering it didn't come with the spiral hook originally I would bet it doesn't. 
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »
I'm not saying your mixer doesn't have the proper bearing, but considering it didn't come with the spiral hook originally I would bet it doesn't.

It doesn't. That's why the spiral is not listed as an option for that mixer.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:33:05 PM »
I don't have a dog in the fight, but wondered whether you could just buy a thrust bearing, and substitute it in your mixer.  I found thrust bearing for the Kitchen Aid mixers pretty easily, and cheap, but it is quite likely it can not be retrofitted to your machine.  But in looking, I found a service manual for the KS5 , you might find it interesting http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/mendingshed/kitchenaidservicemanual.pdf   
   On page 13 in section A and page 14 section E they talk about checking for wear on certain bushings, and point out that if there is excessive wear, you have to replace part of the housing, not just the bushing. Not sure if this is where you might get excessive wear from the spiral hook, but that would raise a concern that the repair costs would be quite high. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 08:37:43 PM »
I don't have a dog in the fight, but wondered whether you could just buy a thrust bearing, and substitute it in your mixer.  I found thrust bearing for the Kitchen Aid mixers pretty easily, and cheap, but it is quite likely it can not be retrofitted to your machine.  But in looking, I found a service manual for the KS5 , you might find it interesting http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/mendingshed/kitchenaidservicemanual.pdf   
   On page 13 in section A and page 14 section E they talk about checking for wear on certain bushings, and point out that if there is excessive wear, you have to replace part of the housing, not just the bushing. Not sure if this is where you might get excessive wear from the spiral hook, but that would raise a concern that the repair costs would be quite high.

Go to Kitchenaid and look at the parts lists (which include drawings) for the various mixers, you will see that there are significant differences in the entire design and engineering of the machines that are designed to use the spiral vs. those that are not.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 07:37:37 AM »
My little look into KA mixer parts seems to indicate parts are cheap enough.   But labor can be steep for those that can't do it themselves.

I was surfing the web about stand mixers and saw a YouTube vid by an avid baker whining about her KA Pro 600 that busted out the bearing boss in the lower diecast gearcase housing from doing bread every day for five years. She was pissed at KA about a $30 part after 5 years of use.   ::)    I wonder if this lady has any maintenance done on her car or just drives it expecting it will work forever?

The basic design of the KA mixers is very similar thru their whole line until you get to the new Commercial 7 & 8 qt mixers.  They made the transmission a separate gearcase from the outer housing. The gearcase is directly attached to the motor case.  This motor/transmission assembly has a vertical output that interfaces with the orbital drive which remains as part of the lower outer housing of the mixer.  Its not obvious that this unique design is stronger.  But it does seem to better control the output shaft of the motor relationship to the right angle driven gear.   That seemed to be an issue in failures of the right angle drive gears.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:51:53 AM by bbqchuck »

pizzapan