Author Topic: A Blackstone Down Under  (Read 12016 times)

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!
Re: A Blackstone Down Under
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »
Your pies are pretty amazing, I ended up purchasing other items for my holiday shopping and will have to wait on the Blackstone for the time being.

I love how your abode is so natural and personal looking, and then there's the macbook pro! Lol

Awesome photos, even cooler you're in NZ

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
A Blackstone Down Under
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 01:57:05 AM »
Haha... yes the Macbook sort of dispels the otherwise homely setup I have going on.  I've been known to take the macbook into the glasshouse on occasion.  I think I have a problem.

This weekend has been something of a comedy of errors. Beginning with the rampant starter, then the gas ran out, so I had a very low temp bake, followed by a frantic trip to get a refill, and then the last pies never quite hit their temperature properly... and I forgot to take photos of much of it in my fluster.  I also made possibly the worst pie topping combination I've ever managed to concoct.  It was blue cheese, chervil and jalepeno.  It looked fine, but wow that's an experiment I won't repeat.  Is there a thread for "regrettable topping combinations"?   I might start one.

Anyway, here's some photographic evidence... only the one marinara photographed.  Temperature was a bit low (my fault, not the oven's).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:32:17 AM by dylandylan »

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 01:58:44 AM »
Continued...

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »
 Dylan, first, your pizza looks amazing!! your presentation of your work area and ingredients is so nicely done it adds artistic beauty to your posts. i love them!!

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 10:46:12 PM »
That pie looks different and delicious, different as in the toppings.

Do you have a sink in your man cave? I make my pizzas in the home oven and i run around like crazy getting all the toppings and cleaning and to the fridge to keep the cheese cold until I top the pizza to prevent burning.

Where were you able to pick up the oilera?

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 08:38:46 AM »
Nice post.  Your artistic photography is on par with those fabulous pies.
Dave

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 01:58:40 AM »
thanks!

The oil cruet was ordered online over here:
http://brickovenbaker.com/cooking-tools/food-prep/copper-oil-cruet-1-pint?zenid=5d0d3ca7972932e8d7ac49da2a14c927

Next weekend weather permitting, I'll possibly be making pizza for 50 guests... the photography usually takes a back seat when I'm baking in volume, but we'll see.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 04:25:02 AM »
Righto, this weekend I was cooking for a crowd, so I fired up a dozen doughballs with my standard sourdough formulation (100 flour/65 water/1.3 starter/2 salt).  All was going well, I balled the dough at 24 hours, and this morning at 36 hours the balls were *way* passed their prime.  So in desparation I picked up some cake yeast attempted a same day recipe.  It was an interesting experiment so say the least, and I guess unsurprising that 8hr yeast is quite a different beast to 48hr sourdough.   I'll scratch up my notes on reflection at a later time and just get some pics up for now. 

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:35:01 AM by dylandylan »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 06:28:53 AM »
Righto, this weekend I was cooking for a crowd, so I fired up a dozen doughballs with my standard sourdough formulation (100 flour/65 water/1.3 starter/2 salt).  All was going well, I balled the dough at 24 hours, and this morning at 36 hours the balls were *way* passed their prime.  So in desparation I picked up some cake yeast attempted a same day recipe.  It was an interesting experiment so say the least, and I guess unsurprising that 8hr yeast is quite a different beast to 48hr sourdough.   I'll scratch up my notes on reflection at a later time and just get some pics up for now.
Nice save.  Glad you figured it out before the party.
Dave

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 12:33:50 PM »
Thanks, I was glad too.  Very thankful to have fresh yeast available just down the road, and to have this forum available to reserach and guess what % I would need to use.

More pics...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:36:19 PM by dylandylan »

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 12:40:51 PM »
final pics...

Offline italdream

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 02:54:24 PM »
Your pizzas look amazing!!! Congrats fro sharing the workflow...

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 08:47:16 PM »
Thanks italdream!

So this week my box of Caputo, a few tins of Cento tomatos, and a couple of jars of Tutto chili turned up (I'm not blatantly  copying anyone in particular... ;-).  All of this is altogether awesome, but unfortunately it arrived a little too late to use my usual workflow, so I turned to cake yeast again to fire up a single dough ball at a moment's notice.  Something of a disservice to all the fine ingredients, but simply I couldn't wait.

I'm looking forward to stabilizing my workflow to get the best out of these ingredients and the Blackstone.  Next weekend I'll do a 48 hour ferment with my starter.

Anyway, here's the single quick fire Craigherita, made with a 6hr(!) cake yeast dough - 60% hydration Caputo.   The result was perfectly edible but far from great.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:40:06 PM by dylandylan »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 07:17:07 AM »
Lovely.
Dave

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 11:22:53 AM »
 those pies look great, the crust looks very nicely developed. how much fresh yeast did you use to get such nice 6 hour dough? what is your temperature at this time of the year? thanks,larry

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »
Thanks guys.

I attempted to use just over 1g yeast - but my scales only measure to the gram and I suspect I may have been closer to 2g - but can't be sure.   I know that's a huge margin of error!  Actual volumes for my single ball (all plus or minus a gram or so):

Flour (100%):    136.01 g  |  4.8 oz | 0.3 lbs
Water (60%):    81.61 g  |  2.88 oz | 0.18 lbs
CY (.87%):    1.18 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs |
Salt (2.5%):    3.4 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.61 tsp | 0.2 tbsp
Total (163.37%):   222.2 g | 7.84 oz | 0.49 lbs | TF = N/A

The dough was at 78f just before I took it out to bake - I expect the ambient temperature was in that region most of the day. 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »
 Dylan, i usually use 1 gram of yeast for every kilo of flour,was you pizza overly yeasty in it taste?

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »
No it wasn't really apparent, it was a fairly mild dough flavour all up.  I don't mind the cake yeast flavour at all, it makes for a nice change. I don't intend to make a habit of using quite so much though.  Generally I'll be using my starter but need to work on stabilising the temperature to get the 48hr timing I want.   

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 09:53:40 PM »
Thanks guys.

I attempted to use just over 1g yeast - but my scales only measure to the gram and I suspect I may have been closer to 2g - but can't be sure.   I know that's a huge margin of error!

You can take a larger quantity of yeast (say 10 grammes) and dissolve it in 100ml of water, and then just measure 1/10th of the liquid... not my own idea, but I've seen it mentioned on the forum before.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
You can take a larger quantity of yeast (say 10 grammes) and dissolve it in 100ml of water, and then just measure 1/10th of the liquid... not my own idea, but I've seen it mentioned on the forum before.

Of course!  Thanks for that.    One of those duh moments for me.