Author Topic: A Blackstone Down Under  (Read 54781 times)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: A Blackstone Down Under
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2014, 08:24:44 AM »
Well dagnamit probably managed the best 3 pizzas I've ever pulled from the ol' BlackStone, but no photographic evidence.  Finally timed a 48hr ferment with the Ischia, and it really worked a treat.  You'll just have to take my word for it... :-)
For those of us that have seen your earlier results, we believe you, and it will be worth the wait.
Dave

Offline edenponyo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #226 on: May 21, 2014, 04:52:26 AM »
Beautiful pizza! Pretty heartening to see somebody cooking good looking pizzas so close to me (I'm in Oamaru). Currently I try to use my home oven, but your photos and results make me really, really want to get a Blackstone (even if it means standing on the deck in the cold!)

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #227 on: May 21, 2014, 02:28:54 PM »
Hi edenponyo,  great to see someone practically local!!

I did pay a premium to get a Blackstone down to New Zealand.  I had been making home oven pizzas for about two years before I took the plunge.   I feel that the home oven pizza making was essential practice for me.   I'm very thankful to have the BS, but I wouldn't recommend that anyone in NZ take the same approach to buying one, it's too risky and I count myself extremely lucky to have had an oven delivered in working order.

Yes the cold is starting to creep in, this will be my first winter with the Blackstone.  One consolation is that it makes a reasonable heater if you stand close enough.

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #228 on: May 21, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
Beautiful pizza! Pretty heartening to see somebody cooking good looking pizzas so close to me (I'm in Oamaru). Currently I try to use my home oven, but your photos and results make me really, really want to get a Blackstone (even if it means standing on the deck in the cold!)

Bite the bullet, and build yourself a WFO. You'll never regret it.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #229 on: May 22, 2014, 03:17:53 AM »
Bite the bullet, and build yourself a WFO. You'll never regret it.

I'm pretty sure this is good advice.  Unless you're renting!    As much as I love the Blackstone, I'm looking forward to the day I can break ground on a WFO.

Offline edenponyo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #230 on: May 22, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »
Fantastic advice, but yeah- renting. Hence the hunt for alternatives! After I said how much I liked the blackstone I did some more research and it looked, as you said, both risky and a hassle to get one here. Any suggestions on an alternative more than welcome! My partner's family are all builders, so when the day comes that I do finally build a WFO, I'll know who to enlist ^ _ ^

I had been making home oven pizzas for about two years before I took the plunge

Me too. I made a video of my home oven pizza a while ago , but I mean, there's still a vast range of difference just in HEAT- I guess seeing your thread made me more resolute to find some kind of alternative. : )

Offline Totti

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #231 on: May 22, 2014, 06:34:38 PM »
If anyone down under would like information regarding importing Mobile SF Ovens, drop me a line.

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #232 on: May 22, 2014, 06:45:21 PM »
Having built and owned a couple of pizza ovens now, I would be inclined to say to even if I was renting I'd build a small WFO on a metal stand, so its easy to move.

Importing an SF is obviously a fantastic option, but not cheap (I've done some research on that in the past and got quotes from SF and also got quotes on shipping etc). That came, at the time, to around 15K (NZD).

You can build a nice little oven for a heck of a lot less than that..

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #233 on: May 24, 2014, 02:49:07 AM »
Righto, today I put my homegrown starter head-to-head with Ischia.  The Ischia has been active for a few weeks and seems stable.    All using the same formula:
240g 5Stagioni: 63% hydration, 1.6% starter, 2.75% salt. 44hr ferment: 24 bulk, 20 balled.

Verdict - the Ischia is basically better, with a lighter crumb and subtler taste.  Comparatively my starter produced a denser moister crumb and was noticeably more sour.     The Ischia dough was actually different to handle, it was easier to open.

[UPDATE] the wife confirms in a blind test: Ischia is definitely the winner.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #234 on: May 24, 2014, 02:50:52 AM »
Contd.

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #235 on: May 24, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »
Really nice looking pies.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #236 on: May 24, 2014, 05:34:02 PM »
Thanks Craig!     I do feel like I've plateaued a bit of late.   That said the Ischia has made me revisit my starter maintenance process and I think I'm getting better results because of it.  I've been really happy with the recent Ischia pies, more than anything the improvement has been in the flavour and texture.

Interesting to note the different leoparding patterns, not that it matters a great deal but the Ischia seems more inclined to produce microspotting, whereas the homegrown is producing more of the larger warts, at least when fermented in the same conditions.

I'll also be very interested to track down some more Caputo after this 5Stagioni runs out.

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #237 on: May 24, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »
I greatly prefer the microspotting. I could never get a pie that nice with 5Stagioni. I can't wait to see what you can do with Caputo now. Blackstone should hire you as their Executive Chef! Most WFOs will never make a pie that good looking.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline napoletana4germany

« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2014, 03:43:40 AM »
beautiful pies! i would also prefer the microspotting: no burning spots at all, but great roasted flavors!

looking forward to assemble my own blackstone that arrives in June from Virgina Beach where Barry kindly repacked it for me in two packages :)

Todi / Hamburg

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #239 on: May 25, 2014, 03:47:26 AM »
I greatly prefer the microspotting. I could never get a pie that nice with 5Stagioni. I can't wait to see what you can do with Caputo now. Blackstone should hire you as their Executive Chef! Most WFOs will never make a pie that good looking.
beautiful pies! i would also prefer the microspotting: no burning spots at all, but great roasted flavors!

looking forward to assemble my own blackstone that arrives in June from Virgina Beach where Barry kindly repacked it for me in two packages :)

Todi / Hamburg

^^^ ^^^
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #240 on: May 25, 2014, 03:54:46 AM »
Thanks guys, means a lot considering how long I've stared at your pies Craig, they set the bar for me.

Great to hear you're getting a Blackstone Todi, we'll have most of the globe covered with them before long. 

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #241 on: May 26, 2014, 02:40:44 PM »

Todi / Hamburg
:pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: Five pie award to Barry for kindness!
Dave

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #242 on: May 26, 2014, 03:30:27 PM »

Plus one there, wherever you are Barry!

Offline Totti

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #243 on: May 26, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »
Funny you mention differences in leoparding. I posted a similar observation a while back saying there was definitely more of a micro leopard with Ischia over CY.. Looks like i'm not alone!

Offline napoletana4germany

« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2014, 04:46:39 AM »
Dave

Plus one there, wherever you are Barry!

^^^ ^^^
Barry certainly is my personal pizza making-Hero of the Year!
but the Five pie award would not be sufficient for what he has done for me! but that's an extra story that will be told one day :)

Offline moose13

« Reply #245 on: May 30, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »
Awesome job on your BS journey!
Mine came in today and i got it setup. Cant wait to get it going.
I must have missed it somewhere but what are the washers under the stone for?
Thanks!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #246 on: May 31, 2014, 02:57:24 PM »
Dylan,
I thought you might enjoy the pizza I ordered at a restaurant in San Francisco called A16.  It is called their Fungi Pizza.   I saw another customer eating one when I walked through to see what pies were popular.  Not wanting to be a complete pig, I did cut an, albeit small, slice for my lovely wife.  Otherwise, it suddenly disappeared, followed by a gentlemanly burp. :D
Dave

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #247 on: May 31, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »
That looks super tasty, a little more exotic than my comfort zone has so far allowed for.  I keep eyeing up the strange mushrooms at the market, might have to grab them now.    And a whole slice for your wife?  Sounds like your pizza eating ratios are split about the same as mine  :)

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #248 on: May 31, 2014, 03:51:26 PM »
I thought I'd share a pie I'd been meaning to make for some time.   If New Zealand has anything to offer the world of pizza topping combinations this make well be it:  the baked bean pizza.    It's as simple as it looks, topped with beans then with low moisture cheese, in this case I used Colby which has a solid umami tang to it once baked.  I did add EVOO and salt but the cheese has enough oil that I'll omit the oil next time.   This pie went straight to the top of my wife's must-bake list.

Offline parallei

« Reply #249 on: May 31, 2014, 04:41:43 PM »
Baked Bean Pizza! :chef:

I'm sure frankfurters or bacon crossed your mind.  I admire your restraint!

pizzapan