Author Topic: A Blackstone Down Under  (Read 24249 times)

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
Re: A Blackstone Down Under
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
Dylan, nice photography and pizzas....... do you happen to have any pics of the mods on the Blackstone? 
Paolo

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »
Thanks!  I haven't taken pics of the mods, they are quite unglamerous, but I'll snap some pics next time I wheel the oven out.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »
The weather was atrocious last night so I didn't dismantle to take pics of the mods.  I can see the sun may shine today, if it sticks around I'll snap the mods.

Last night's bake - my second go with Caputo, and back to sourdough after my recent deviation into cake yeast.  The ambient indoor temperature here has been all over the place (about 60f - 80f) so it's been a challenge to do anything predictable.  Out of fear of overproofing I did the first 24 hours in the fridge and then bought the dough out for the last 24 hours at about 72f.  This was definitely underfermented but still ok.   I'm finding the Caputo is nice to work with, great extensibility.  It is very touchy in the oven though, I'll need to get a better handle on fine temperature control to get the best out of it.  I can imagine it working well for very hot bakes.  I could certainly run the BS hotter so I may try that.

And this week a first attempt at a Rosa - forgot the rosemary, and added a little fresh mozz.  A real winner though with a thumbs up from the wife.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:48:07 PM by dylandylan »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »
wow those are perfect i think they look like craig pies down under!! what are your impressions of caputo?

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
Thanks! Craig is definitely an inspiration and sets the bar that I'd love to reach, but I'm still a ways off.  I'm plagiarising a lot of what Craig has done if nothing else ;-)

I haven't really formed any particular impression of Caputo yet - my workflow has been a bit shambolic since the Caputo arrived, so I'd like to get my game back on form before forming an opinion.  Not that I'm one to be judgemental if I can help it, but I will have to arrive at some conclusion about whether Caputo is worth the expense of importing (at about $10USD/lb!!) compared with other flours that I can obtain more readily/cheaply.

All I can say about Caputo right now is that compared with the common NZ flours I've been using, Caputo is much softer, and requires a much lighter touch when handling.  It opens with such minimal handling that I'm having to be careful to not over-extend it.  It bakes differently too - it browns well and the blistering is a bit accelerated compared with what I was using.

So far, for me, it hasn't been streets ahead of local flour, but it's early days yet.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 01:44:58 AM »
Ok a few quick pics of the mods.  I wheeled the Blackstone out and the minute I started taking photos it began raining.  I quickly took snaps of of everything apart from the bearing/collar - which wouldn't show you a heap.

Pics...

1)  platter height - there's a 16mm gap between the body and the platter.  This was achieved by loosening the collar with a small alan wrench, removing it, putting the bearing on the shaft so that it rests on the body, and then putting the collar back on the shaft, just a smidge below where it started.

2,3) chuaflector is a small $3 plastic framed grater.  I broke off the frame and bent the grater.   It's quite small as you can see from the pic of it in place.  I'm not really sure how much difference this is making.

4) the washers (and rain drops)... hilariously they had redistributed themselves since last time I looked, this lopsided arrangement would be more a hinderance than a help.   Who knows how long they've been like this.   I did even them out after taking the photo...

I'm not sure how much the pics help - other than to demonstrate how unsophisticated my mods are.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:19:21 AM by dylandylan »

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 01:54:49 AM »
And back to pizza.   Today I managed my first bake with Caputo that went to plan.  A 48 hour sourdough, 61%hydration, 1.3% starter.  24hr bulk/24hr balled.   Also I think my fastest bake in the BS - although I didn't actually time it.  Come to think of it I haven't timed any bakes in the BS.    This one was definitely a winner, very tender and great flavour.   A bit heavy handed on the sauce but all up probably my best effort to date.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2013, 07:22:33 AM »
Gorgeous!!! I'd be all over that, top notch :drool:

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »
Love the cheese grater!
Dave

Offline communist

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2013, 08:54:53 AM »
And this week a first attempt at a Rosa - forgot the rosemary, and added a little fresh mozz.  A real winner though with a thumbs up from the wife.
Nice pie Dylan.  Did you sauté the red onion before applying?  I think Chris does.  If you did not, did it make any difference?  Mark

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2013, 11:29:11 AM »
Thanks guys.  re: the Rosa, I did cut the onions a couple of hours before the bake and drizzled them with oil.   They were well rested, but not precooked in any way.  Those onions were really good, I'll repeat the same prep next time for sure.

Online scott123

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »
2,3) chuaflector is a small $3 plastic framed grater.  I broke off the frame and bent the grater.   It's quite small as you can see from the pic of it in place.  I'm not really sure how much difference this is making.

A few months back, the idea of a perforated chauflector was being thrown around.  I believe, with your grater, you're the first to try one.  Due to the fact that you're not seeing excessive browning in the middle of the pizza, your grater works.

Could you, for the sake of science, try a couple pies without the chauflector?

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »
Thanks guys.  re: the Rosa, I did cut the onions a couple of hours before the bake and drizzled them with oil.   They were well rested, but not precooked in any way.  Those onions were really good, I'll repeat the same prep next time for sure.

Try adding your pistachios mid bake. They'll retain their color.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2013, 12:03:29 PM »
Try adding your pistachios mid bake. They'll retain their color.

Good thought, I had toasted those before the bake and more than a few of them came out blackened.  Would love to keep more of that green in there, will try mid bake next time.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »
Could you, for the sake of science, try a couple pies without the chauflector?

Absolutely.  I've been curious to know how much difference the mod is actually making. It's not a large deflector by any stretch, but it may be doing just enough to help.   I'll be tinkering with it over the holidays so plenty of time to experiment.

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
Dylan, thanks for the mods pics, I will duplicate them in my oven.......

The pizzas look awesome, congrats!
Paolo

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2014, 01:57:59 AM »
Happy new year all! 

The pizza cave has done well out of the festive season with a new porcelain tile prep surface, an actual peel (instead of my baking tray!) and a small digital scale that measures to .1g so that's helping with these small quantities I'm dealing with.

First pies out of the blocks this year for me, an aglio e olio (garlic, oil & parsley sauce, buffalo mozz, and an overenthusiastic sprinkling of parmesan post-bake), and a Craigherita.  I'm enjoying the Caputo, starting to get a feel for how to work with it compared with my local flours.   This was a 33hr (9+24) sourdough @1.5% - formula for two 210g balls:

Flour (Caputo):    256.31 g | 9.04 oz | 0.57 lbs
Water:    154.69 g | 5.46 oz | 0.34 lbs
Salt:    6.41 g | 0.23 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.15 tsp | 0.38 tbsp
Preferment (homemade starter):    6.79 g | 0.24 oz | 0.01 lbs
Total:    424.2 g | 14.96 oz | 0.94 lbs  | TF = N/A

Forgot about doing a 'deflectorless' pie - will try to remember that next weekend!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:11:16 AM by dylandylan »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2014, 08:32:12 AM »
Beautiful pies Dylan!  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2014, 09:39:27 AM »

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2014, 02:03:02 AM »
Thanks Norma, Dave!    The aglio e olio looked a lot better before I fuzzed it up with the post-bake cheese.  Always good to learn these things.

Something to post mid-week - this is what my starter looks like by the time it goes into the dough.  It stays in the fridge all week until the morning of the evening that I'll be mixing (if that makes sense...).  So this morning at about 7am I pulled it out of the fridge, fed it a bit, and left it on top of the fridge for the day (probably about 70f - 75f although I didn't check).  At about 7pm it had doubled or so and seems happy and healthy, and then it goes into the mix, and the remainder is back into the fridge for another week.

pizzapan