Author Topic: A Blackstone Down Under  (Read 58069 times)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: A Blackstone Down Under
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 08:38:46 AM »
Nice post.  Your artistic photography is on par with those fabulous pies.
Dave

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 01:58:40 AM »
thanks!

The oil cruet was ordered online over here:
http://brickovenbaker.com/cooking-tools/food-prep/copper-oil-cruet-1-pint?zenid=5d0d3ca7972932e8d7ac49da2a14c927

Next weekend weather permitting, I'll possibly be making pizza for 50 guests... the photography usually takes a back seat when I'm baking in volume, but we'll see.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 04:25:02 AM »
Righto, this weekend I was cooking for a crowd, so I fired up a dozen doughballs with my standard sourdough formulation (100 flour/65 water/1.3 starter/2 salt).  All was going well, I balled the dough at 24 hours, and this morning at 36 hours the balls were *way* passed their prime.  So in desparation I picked up some cake yeast attempted a same day recipe.  It was an interesting experiment so say the least, and I guess unsurprising that 8hr yeast is quite a different beast to 48hr sourdough.   I'll scratch up my notes on reflection at a later time and just get some pics up for now. 

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 06:28:53 AM »
Righto, this weekend I was cooking for a crowd, so I fired up a dozen doughballs with my standard sourdough formulation (100 flour/65 water/1.3 starter/2 salt).  All was going well, I balled the dough at 24 hours, and this morning at 36 hours the balls were *way* passed their prime.  So in desparation I picked up some cake yeast attempted a same day recipe.  It was an interesting experiment so say the least, and I guess unsurprising that 8hr yeast is quite a different beast to 48hr sourdough.   I'll scratch up my notes on reflection at a later time and just get some pics up for now.
Nice save.  Glad you figured it out before the party.
Dave

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 12:33:50 PM »
Thanks, I was glad too.  Very thankful to have fresh yeast available just down the road, and to have this forum available to reserach and guess what % I would need to use.

More pics...

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 12:40:51 PM »
final pics...

Offline italdream

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 02:54:24 PM »
Your pizzas look amazing!!! Congrats fro sharing the workflow...

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 08:47:16 PM »
Thanks italdream!

So this week my box of Caputo, a few tins of Cento tomatos, and a couple of jars of Tutto chili turned up (I'm not blatantly  copying anyone in particular... ;-).  All of this is altogether awesome, but unfortunately it arrived a little too late to use my usual workflow, so I turned to cake yeast again to fire up a single dough ball at a moment's notice.  Something of a disservice to all the fine ingredients, but simply I couldn't wait.

I'm looking forward to stabilizing my workflow to get the best out of these ingredients and the Blackstone.  Next weekend I'll do a 48 hour ferment with my starter.

Anyway, here's the single quick fire Craigherita, made with a 6hr(!) cake yeast dough - 60% hydration Caputo.   The result was perfectly edible but far from great.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 07:17:07 AM »
Lovely.
Dave

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 11:22:53 AM »
 those pies look great, the crust looks very nicely developed. how much fresh yeast did you use to get such nice 6 hour dough? what is your temperature at this time of the year? thanks,larry

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »
Thanks guys.

I attempted to use just over 1g yeast - but my scales only measure to the gram and I suspect I may have been closer to 2g - but can't be sure.   I know that's a huge margin of error!  Actual volumes for my single ball (all plus or minus a gram or so):

Flour (100%):    136.01 g  |  4.8 oz | 0.3 lbs
Water (60%):    81.61 g  |  2.88 oz | 0.18 lbs
CY (.87%):    1.18 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs |
Salt (2.5%):    3.4 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.61 tsp | 0.2 tbsp
Total (163.37%):   222.2 g | 7.84 oz | 0.49 lbs | TF = N/A

The dough was at 78f just before I took it out to bake - I expect the ambient temperature was in that region most of the day. 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »
 Dylan, i usually use 1 gram of yeast for every kilo of flour,was you pizza overly yeasty in it taste?

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »
No it wasn't really apparent, it was a fairly mild dough flavour all up.  I don't mind the cake yeast flavour at all, it makes for a nice change. I don't intend to make a habit of using quite so much though.  Generally I'll be using my starter but need to work on stabilising the temperature to get the 48hr timing I want.   

Offline kiwipete

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 09:53:40 PM »
Thanks guys.

I attempted to use just over 1g yeast - but my scales only measure to the gram and I suspect I may have been closer to 2g - but can't be sure.   I know that's a huge margin of error!

You can take a larger quantity of yeast (say 10 grammes) and dissolve it in 100ml of water, and then just measure 1/10th of the liquid... not my own idea, but I've seen it mentioned on the forum before.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
You can take a larger quantity of yeast (say 10 grammes) and dissolve it in 100ml of water, and then just measure 1/10th of the liquid... not my own idea, but I've seen it mentioned on the forum before.

Of course!  Thanks for that.    One of those duh moments for me.

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
Dylan, nice photography and pizzas....... do you happen to have any pics of the mods on the Blackstone? 
Paolo

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »
Thanks!  I haven't taken pics of the mods, they are quite unglamerous, but I'll snap some pics next time I wheel the oven out.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »
The weather was atrocious last night so I didn't dismantle to take pics of the mods.  I can see the sun may shine today, if it sticks around I'll snap the mods.

Last night's bake - my second go with Caputo, and back to sourdough after my recent deviation into cake yeast.  The ambient indoor temperature here has been all over the place (about 60f - 80f) so it's been a challenge to do anything predictable.  Out of fear of overproofing I did the first 24 hours in the fridge and then bought the dough out for the last 24 hours at about 72f.  This was definitely underfermented but still ok.   I'm finding the Caputo is nice to work with, great extensibility.  It is very touchy in the oven though, I'll need to get a better handle on fine temperature control to get the best out of it.  I can imagine it working well for very hot bakes.  I could certainly run the BS hotter so I may try that.

And this week a first attempt at a Rosa - forgot the rosemary, and added a little fresh mozz.  A real winner though with a thumbs up from the wife.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »
wow those are perfect i think they look like craig pies down under!! what are your impressions of caputo?

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
Thanks! Craig is definitely an inspiration and sets the bar that I'd love to reach, but I'm still a ways off.  I'm plagiarising a lot of what Craig has done if nothing else ;-)

I haven't really formed any particular impression of Caputo yet - my workflow has been a bit shambolic since the Caputo arrived, so I'd like to get my game back on form before forming an opinion.  Not that I'm one to be judgemental if I can help it, but I will have to arrive at some conclusion about whether Caputo is worth the expense of importing (at about $10USD/lb!!) compared with other flours that I can obtain more readily/cheaply.

All I can say about Caputo right now is that compared with the common NZ flours I've been using, Caputo is much softer, and requires a much lighter touch when handling.  It opens with such minimal handling that I'm having to be careful to not over-extend it.  It bakes differently too - it browns well and the blistering is a bit accelerated compared with what I was using.

So far, for me, it hasn't been streets ahead of local flour, but it's early days yet.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 01:44:58 AM »
Ok a few quick pics of the mods.  I wheeled the Blackstone out and the minute I started taking photos it began raining.  I quickly took snaps of of everything apart from the bearing/collar - which wouldn't show you a heap.

Pics...

1)  platter height - there's a 16mm gap between the body and the platter.  This was achieved by loosening the collar with a small alan wrench, removing it, putting the bearing on the shaft so that it rests on the body, and then putting the collar back on the shaft, just a smidge below where it started.

2,3) chuaflector is a small $3 plastic framed grater.  I broke off the frame and bent the grater.   It's quite small as you can see from the pic of it in place.  I'm not really sure how much difference this is making.

4) the washers (and rain drops)... hilariously they had redistributed themselves since last time I looked, this lopsided arrangement would be more a hinderance than a help.   Who knows how long they've been like this.   I did even them out after taking the photo...

I'm not sure how much the pics help - other than to demonstrate how unsophisticated my mods are.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 01:54:49 AM »
And back to pizza.   Today I managed my first bake with Caputo that went to plan.  A 48 hour sourdough, 61%hydration, 1.3% starter.  24hr bulk/24hr balled.   Also I think my fastest bake in the BS - although I didn't actually time it.  Come to think of it I haven't timed any bakes in the BS.    This one was definitely a winner, very tender and great flavour.   A bit heavy handed on the sauce but all up probably my best effort to date.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2013, 07:22:33 AM »
Gorgeous!!! I'd be all over that, top notch :drool:

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »
Love the cheese grater!
Dave

Offline communist

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2013, 08:54:53 AM »
And this week a first attempt at a Rosa - forgot the rosemary, and added a little fresh mozz.  A real winner though with a thumbs up from the wife.
Nice pie Dylan.  Did you sauté the red onion before applying?  I think Chris does.  If you did not, did it make any difference?  Mark