Author Topic: Wild Yeasted Caputo 00 Experiment  (Read 1422 times)

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
Wild Yeasted Caputo 00 Experiment
« on: March 20, 2006, 08:50:51 AM »
I finally started another wild yeast culture.  I am wanting to make pizzas using only wild yeast.  The question is where to start.  Anyone have any ideas?  I am sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a thread after a superficial review of the topics.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Wild Yeasted Caputo 00 Experiment
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 08:58:58 AM »
foodblogger,

You might want to start with this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,986.0.html. This thread is for standard pizzas. I also used a natural preferment for a Neapolitan-inspired Caputo 00 deep-dish, which was reported elsewhere.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 09:12:14 AM »
Here's how I started: Once your culture is fully active, figure out the hydration level of your starter (mine is 54%). Then figure out what hydration level you want for your dough (mine is 64%). I then plugged these numbers into Varasano's spread sheet. Then experiment like hell until you come up with the fermentation/proofing regimen that works best for that particular culture.

Bill/SFNM

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 04:03:23 PM »
Thanks for the point in the right direction.  I will probably try a few pies using pete-zza's methods eventually.  I made this current culture according to the directions in The book 'American Pie'.  I bought the book a week ago and read it on a flight.  I think for the first experiment I'll try his methods/recipe for sourdough pizza.  I'm planning on a couple pies this weekend.

pizzapan