Author Topic: My 1st attempt at NP-ish  (Read 3279 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
My 1st attempt at NP-ish
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:48:32 PM »
Ok here's a few shots of my first attempt with TXCraig1's dough formula.  I made 5 pizzas about 12" each.  One Margherita, two with aged mozzarella, one pepperoni/aged mozzarella and one with sliced grape tomatoes, kalamata olives, buffalo mozzarella, and feta.

Let me just say that I trusted my starter (formerly known as Ischia  :-D) and it didn't let me down.  The taste was just delicious!

I did not take copious notes, but here's how I did it.  I mixed the dough per Craig's workflow here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20477.msg202047.html#msg202047.  I bulk fermented at 68F for about 21 hours and then balled.  Back into the basement around 1pm yesterday until this morning around 9am when I checked the temp it was more like 65F in the basement.  It looked like it was moving along pretty fast, so I put it in the fridge and removed it at about 2:30pm.  Baked the pies around 3:45 after preheating the oven at 550 convection for an hour then fired up the broiler for about 20 minutes. Each one took about 3 - 4 minutes. For those of you who don't know, I do not have a WFO, so I used my steel plates, thus the atypical bake times. The steel temp read 611F before broiler and 676F before launching 1st pie.  Some came out perfect, some had a gum line, but they all tasted good for my first time.  I tried to turn them halfway through the bake but I was a little distracted by my kiddies  :) So you'll see some appeared a lot more brown than others.

Here are my observations on what I need to do to improve my results:

- one of the pies had a serious gum line to which I attribute a little too much sauce.
- it seems that the dough really does open up by itself so I think I should only give it about 30 minutes before I bake instead of an hour and 15 minutes before bake time. The last two balls had blown out a little too much and the cornice had some flat spots from degassing.
- I need to move the steel plates up another rung.  The pies were about 3 1/2" from the broiler.  Hopefully it will give me enough room to still launch with my wooden peel if I move it up.

Please feel free to make suggestions on what I should do to improve.

;) Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline TXCraig1

Re: My 1st attempt at NP-ish
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
Looks great! A whole lot better than my first attempt. Or second, or third...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »
Nice...........

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 06:38:48 PM »
Those look great! I've been working on a Nearly-politan for a few weeks now, it's definitely a challenge in an unmodified home oven. If those are truly your first, as well as being new to Ischia, I'm impressed!

Josh

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »
Looks great! A whole lot better than my first attempt. Or second, or third...

Nice...........

Thank you!  It's a great compliment coming from both of you  :)
Mary Ann

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 06:48:01 PM »
Those look great! I've been working on a Nearly-politan for a few weeks now, it's definitely a challenge in an unmodified home oven. If those are truly your first, as well as being new to Ischia, I'm impressed!

Thanks, Josh.  Yes new to both.  I'm almost ready to bake my Ischia sourdough bread.  I just took a peek at it and looks to be doubled in size and smells sooooo good.  I love experimenting in the kitchen  :chef:
Mary Ann

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 08:35:39 PM »
Mary Ann, you opened your dough very nicely. The color on the crust both top and bottom look great to me. The cornicione looks airy and light. WOW! You are a contender!!!!!!! ;D

Mark
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:38:02 PM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 09:14:04 PM »
Mary Ann,

Very nice!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 09:36:50 PM »
Jeez Mary Ann,

You either have incredible beginner's luck or you were a Neapolitan pizzaiola in a past life.

Well done. Great cornicione, great coloring, and great shape of the pies (something novices and even "seasoned novices" often times neglect!)

Keep it up!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 09:41:42 PM »
Here's the only suggestion that I cold possibly give you:

Buy (or have someone give you) a Blackstone oven for Christmas. You are clearly "worthy" of such a toy and I think that you would quickly find that it was the best $350 you ever spent.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 09:46:10 PM »
Jeez Mary Ann,

You either have incredible beginner's luck or you were a Neapolitan pizzaiola in a past life.

Well done. Great cornicione, great coloring, and great shape of the pies (something novices and even "seasoned novices" often times neglect!)

Keep it up!

John K

Maybe a little of both?  :-D

Here's the only suggestion that I cold possibly give you:

Buy (or have someone give you) a Blackstone oven for Christmas. You are clearly "worthy" of such a toy and I think that you would quickly find that it was the best $350 you ever spent.

John K

I wish I discovered my love for pizza making before I remodeled my kitchen last year.  I would have blown out my kitchen and had a WFO put in.  My husband is gonna have me fit for a straight jacket soon if I ask for one more toy in the kitchen  >:D. But thanks for the suggestion  :)
Mary Ann

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 10:02:28 PM »
Mary Ann,

Very nice!

Norma

Thank you, Norma!
Mary Ann

Offline scott123

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 01:09:05 AM »
Mary Ann, we had spoken previously about how much your family enjoys Panevinos (a local restaurant).  I'm not sure what your goals were/are, but if recreating a panevino pie was in your sights, I think you nailed it.  How did the family like it? Did they state a preference between this and your NY pies?

If your intent is to take this in a more Craig-ish direction, then I think you might need to dial back the starter a bit, so that you don't have to refrigerate it.  Where are you at on your dough ball size? Are you matching his weight and final diameter?

Since Neapolitan is typically smaller than NY pies, and smaller pies are easier to launch, I think you'll be okay with the higher shelf.

It will be interesting to see what kind of top color you can achieve on the top shelf.

As far as bottom leoparding goes, if that's your goal, even with the plate on the top shelf, I don't think you're going to achieve it.  We've talked before about aluminum. If, when you move the plate up, you see high contrast leoparding on the top, I think you should reconsider aluminum.

Another way to take a set up that isn't quite geared towards Neapolitan bake times and push it over the top is to fudge it a bit with a malted flour such as KABF. Since you're so close to a 2 minute bake, you might want to play around with a malted flour.

'Gum line' can mean different things to different people. Some people use 'gum line' to describe the point where the dough meets the sauce (a kind of nubby tender cooked pasta appearance). I use gum line to describe a raw line of dough running down the center of the crust.  If you experienced the latter, it's most likely because 1:15 wasn't long enough for the dough to warm up. Once you dial in the necessary starter quantity to hit your fermentation time, you won't have to refrigerate and the gum line issue should be resolved.

Nice work!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:11:08 AM by scott123 »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 08:55:33 AM »
Mary Ann, we had spoken previously about how much your family enjoys Panevinos (a local restaurant).  I'm not sure what your goals were/are, but if recreating a panevino pie was in your sights, I think you nailed it.  How did the family like it? Did they state a preference between this and your NY pies?

If your intent is to take this in a more Craig-ish direction, then I think you might need to dial back the starter a bit, so that you don't have to refrigerate it.  Where are you at on your dough ball size? Are you matching his weight and final diameter?

Since Neapolitan is typically smaller than NY pies, and smaller pies are easier to launch, I think you'll be okay with the higher shelf.

It will be interesting to see what kind of top color you can achieve on the top shelf.

As far as bottom leoparding goes, if that's your goal, even with the plate on the top shelf, I don't think you're going to achieve it.  We've talked before about aluminum. If, when you move the plate up, you see high contrast leoparding on the top, I think you should reconsider aluminum.

Another way to take a set up that isn't quite geared towards Neapolitan bake times and push it over the top is to fudge it a bit with a malted flour such as KABF. Since you're so close to a 2 minute bake, you might want to play around with a malted flour.

'Gum line' can mean different things to different people. Some people use 'gum line' to describe the point where the dough meets the sauce (a kind of nubby tender cooked pasta appearance). I use gum line to describe a raw line of dough running down the center of the crust.  If you experienced the latter, it's most likely because 1:15 wasn't long enough for the dough to warm up. Once you dial in the necessary starter quantity to hit your fermentation time, you won't have to refrigerate and the gum line issue should be resolved.

Nice work!

Thanks for the compliments, Scott.  I was not trying to recreate a Panevino crust even though we really do like their pizza.  I don't think they use starter, at least I never taste it in their crust.  Compared to theirs, I like this formula better.  It had a creamier taste but similar texture.  Myself, my mom and ten year old son loved it.  The little monster (4 year old) will eat anything and my daughter, well, she's a tough customer.  My hubby was at the Patriots game so he didn't get any  >:D

So, I should try KABF?  What about the Best Bakers Flour?  Would that be comparable?  It's interesting that you say the gum line, which your second description fit my crust, was caused by not letting the dough warm up enough.  I thought the dough was blown by the last two pizzas and caused some flat spots on my cornicione.

For my dough balls, I used the dough calculator with preferment.  I was aiming for 5 balls at 250 grams with 1.5% starter even though Craig uses 1.3%.  After balling, the dough balls were 263 grams.  I was able to stretch to 12", but I think he does 13"?  I'm pretty sure I measured everything properly.  Maybe the bowl scrap % I used was too high and I didn't have too much scrap?

I thought I read somewhere on the forum, I think it was the leoparding thread, that you are more likely to have cornicione leoparding when the dough is colder.

I'm not at a point where I want to source aluminum.  I think I have spent enough $ on my pizza habit :-D. But I would like to be able to say that I can make a great tasting/looking Nearlypolitan pizza with my home oven.  So that, when I have mastered it, then I can throw it in the rotation with the NY, Sicilian and Pan pizzas that I'm making.

As always, thanks for your suggestions, Scott.  You haven't steered me wrong yet  ;)

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »
For my dough balls, I used the dough calculator with preferment.  I was aiming for 5 balls at 250 grams with 1.5% starter even though Craig uses 1.3%.

This time of the year, I often creep up to 1.7% or so.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »
This time of the year, I often creep up to 1.7% or so.
Good to know.  I'll have to play around with the formula as my basement temps fluctuate.

I just had a few leftover slices for lunch.  Oh man  :drool:  I am love with this dough.  I can really taste the starter in the crust, so creamy, delicious and light. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:51:44 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 12:47:28 PM »
I just had a few leftover slices for lunch.  Oh man  :drool:  I am love with this dough.  I can really taste the starter in the crust, so creamy, delicious and light.

"Creamy" is how I would describe the predominant flavor of my crust as well.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »
"Creamy" is how I would describe the predominant flavor of my crust as well.

Yeah!  Glad I came close to your dough taste, that is big!  I guess my "I" was activated properly  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 01:25:31 PM »
Yeah!  Glad I came close to your dough taste, that is big!  I guess my "I" was activated properly  ;D

Ĩ
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 01:35:35 PM »
How do you type that?
Mary Ann