Author Topic: Help solve the mystery?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Mystic Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
Help solve the mystery?
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:24:43 AM »
There is a local greek pizza shop that uses Stanislaus full red tomatoe puree. The sauce tastes great, very thin but flavorful, not a bright acid taste at all.  The sauce is orange in color and not deep red like you get from Stanislaus tomatoes. What are they using/doing  to make the sauce turn orange in color?  ???

Thanks Mike

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Help solve the mystery?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:06:21 AM »
One of the sauces I make is orange. The tomatoes are blended with a little cream (and vodka).

Bill/SFNM

Offline Mystic Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 12:16:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply, your orange sauce sounds great.  This sauce is very thin, almost the consistency of water. Would chicken stock/broth make the sauce turn orange?

Thanks Mike

Offline robtfink

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 01:34:36 PM »
Mysterious indeed. Other than diminishing intensity of hue, I can't imagine the dilution of tomato product with stock doing otherwise. I've no especial expertise in Greek cuisine, but I am living in a town with a strong Greek presence. The preferred sauce is on the sweetish side, not uncommonly cinnamon spiced. Although olive oil is, of course, the dominant fat, it is not at all unusual for local cooks to incorporate butter for greater richness and sweetness; and, yes, a slightly orange tinge. Still, unlikely, a modest pizza establishment employing unnecessary and expensive butter? A quandry.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 01:42:00 PM by robtfink »

Offline Mystic Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 02:32:21 PM »
robtfink, I think your right about the chicken stock not changing the color enough to make it orange. I have heard of the of the tablespoon or two of butter trick used in tomato sauces to help mello the acid bite and give the sauce a richness. I may give that a try, but would like more input so I don't ruin a portion of my Stanislaus tomatoes.

Thanks Mike

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 04:44:51 PM »
The butter trick totally works, and although it is not traditional in pizza sauce, it is very tasty.  It works especially well with the Stanislaus tomatoes that use citric acid, but I find it unnecessary with Escalon products.

Also just a thought, I have found that certain brands of mozzarella tend to turn the pie orange when it melts in with the sauce.  Also Greek pizzerias love mixing in cheddar, usually white, but I could see a pizzeria using a small amount of orange cheddar in their blend.  Have you seen the sauce separate from the pie to confirm that it is definitely the sauce that is orange, and not a recaction of the cheese and sauce melting?

Also one more oddball possibility is that they are using carrot to sweeten the sauce.  I have found this trick being used my more than one restaraunt in my area for spaghetti sauce, although the traditional method is to remove after cooking.  It could be that  they are using a variation of this idea and using  a carrot puree added to the sauce.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 05:49:56 PM »
Mike,

You might try asking the pizza guy. If you are a customer they might tell you.

Peter

Offline chiguy

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 06:31:38 PM »
 Hi Mystic Pizza,
 I also make the vodka sauce so i will go along with Bill/SFNM, cream will definetly give a sauce a lighter color, almost orange. It will also tone down the acidity of the tomato sauces. When I make my sauce, i use fresh tomatoes crushed and then add spices and a good amount of PARMESAN CHEESE that also gives the red tomato sauce a signifacantly lighter color.            Chiguy

Offline Mystic Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 12:40:08 PM »
scott r, I think you are right about it being the cheese that is causing the sauce to turn orange. The sauce is very thin to begin with and I think it might be the grease from the cheese turning it orange.  I was going to take a picture of the pizza and post it but the camera batteries were dead.

Thanks Mike

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 01:21:37 PM »
I'm guessing carrots are used because they sweeten the sauce and change the color to orangish. I used them with onions in a cooked sauce and it cut the acidity of the Stanislaus, changed it red/orange and sweetened it without using sugar. I also added penzeys pizza spices to it..came out good. Not sure about everyone else here but I think I change my sauce every other time, haha!  ;D

Offline avk2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 05:11:41 PM »
Hi all,
 My 1st post,
 a local pizzeria of note
 is said to add Hi-C to their sauce
 (I'm guessing its the Orange flavor)