Author Topic: Pizza with Authentic classic Coca Cola  (Read 7534 times)

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
Pizza with Authentic classic Coca Cola
« on: March 14, 2006, 10:58:13 PM »
In 1984 Coca Cola stopped using real sugar in coke and converted to high fructose corn syrup instead.
(I don't even want to mention New Coke.)

Now once a year in Jewish communities, Coke distributes Coca Cola that is kosher for Passover (no corn).

I know quality ingredients matter to everyone on this site, so I thought pizza and coke lovers would want to know this useful information.  The real coke is much smoother than what is sold year round.  I rarely drink the syrup-based stuff.

It only comes in 2 litre bottles.  I recently purchased over a dozen bottles at my local grocery (1 mile from Jewish Orthodox Temple).  See photo for ingredients.

TM

Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Pizza with Authentic classic Coca Cola
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 11:41:11 PM »
What a great tip!

I can't wait to go out and get some.  I am not a big soda drinker, but after Ron's mention of the old style sugared sodas available in Italy I tried some over there and they were so much tastier.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 08:39:05 AM »
High fructose corn syrup is a scourge on the people of the world. A lot of Hispanic restaurants and markets were selling BOTTLES of coke, made with sugar, for a while. Don't know what happened though. Maybe they found out it is cheaper here than importing from Mexico. Anyway, GREAT discovery! I will be checking this out.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 09:08:32 AM »
Nice tip!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 09:39:34 AM »
A few years ago, while visiting my son and his family in Mexico, he pointed out to me that the Coke there in bottles used sugar and not corn syrup, which was the only reason he bought the bottles. I subsequently saw bottles of Coke imported from Mexico in a supermarket near me in the Dallas area that has a large Hispanic customer base and when I checked the label I saw that corn syrup was used. So, it looks like you still have to check the labels for the Coke in bottles. Maybe even in Mexico.

lilbuddypizza is correct about high fructose corn syrup. In most cases where it is used it is because it is the cheapest form of sugar, not the best. It's use is pervasive, in just about every food product where sweetness is desired.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:07:54 AM »
Yes that is true about cokes in the Hispanic section.  Same thing applies in Japan.  The Cokes with real sugar are much cleaner tasting.

I have my proof that New Coke was a diversion to switch all markets away from sugar all at once even though some northern markets had already changed.  I still have the old cokes I bought when new coke first came out that the labels say sugar.  Several sites say this isnít true but I have the proof.

Doctor Pepper can be bought on line in its original sugar configuration from the Oldest Doctor Pepper plant in Texas.  It is a wonderful treat.  My son bought me a case for Christmas.
http://www.olddocs.com/

Randy

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 10:21:31 AM »
Glad too see people respond to this non-pizza topic.

Corn is highly subsidized in the US and therefore the cost of corn syrup is artificially low and cheaper than sugar.

Mexican coke can be purchased on ebay and several other places on the Internet.  I have heard about the adhesive labels found on some Mexican coke bottles in the US.  I am not sure, but I have a hunch that these are either purchased from Coca Cola Enterprises or transposed from US bottles and then stuck on to meet US more restrictive labeling laws.  I have no proof about this, but the result may result in mislabeling of the products.

I refuse to pay $10 for Mexican coke on ebay.  At $1.25 a 2 liter less than 1 mile from my house is a better option.  I just wish the stuff were in glass bottles.

WARNING - political opinions follow
-
-
I believe that high fructose corn syrup and trans fatty acids represent all that is evil in the food industry.  I also believe that these 2 things are major contributors to obesity and other health problems in the USA.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 10:40:12 AM »
And read this about vegtable oils for frying.† The studies Author suggest going back to beef tallow.†

Those of you children who never tasted the original fresh cut and fat fried french fry from McDonald's missed out on a treat.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=47063

Randy
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 11:38:34 AM by Randy »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 01:06:17 PM »
Randy, do you know approximately when Mc Donalds stopped using lard for their fries?  I was told by some vegan friends of mine that up until very recently (the past year or so) Mc Donald's was still doing the initial fry in the plant with lard, then in the store for the second fry with something "healthier".

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 02:23:52 PM »
Scott, in the sixties before the big mac and quarter pounder whole potatoes were delivered to each restaurant, there they were washed put into a giant hand press to cut the fries.  They had two very large separate fryers.  One was used to make the intial fry while the second one was used as a final fry just before serving.  When they went to factory made fries all of that changed.  I think over the years there have been several changes.  Seems like last year McDonald's game under fire after they admitted spraying the fries with animal fat for flavor after saying they were fried in only vegtable oil.

I promise you a hamburger, french fry and a handmade chocolate milk shake at McDonald's was a wonder of the day.

Randy

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 04:30:07 PM »
We were in Costa Rica a few months ago, and the Coke was made with sucrose and tasted as I remembered it as a kid. It also smells different than current Coke. When we were sick as a kid, we were given Coke syrup to drink. I don't know what it was supposed to do, but it sure tasted great.   Mel

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 02:27:34 AM »
Hey, Great tip.  Which store in Atlanta was that?

Jeff

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 07:42:13 AM »
Scott, in the sixties before the big mac and quarter pounder whole potatoes were delivered to each restaurant, there they were washed put into a giant hand press to cut the fries.† They had two very large separate fryers.† One was used to make the intial fry while the second one was used as a final fry just before serving.† When they went to factory made fries all of that changed.† I think over the years there have been several changes.† Seems like last year McDonald's game under fire after they admitted spraying the fries with animal fat for flavor after saying they were fried in only vegtable oil.

I promise you a hamburger, french fry and a handmade chocolate milk shake at McDonald's was a wonder of the day.

Randy

::)

You can say that again. :'(
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 09:27:25 AM »
Good Morning To All;
I used to think it was me......Things just didn't taste the same as I remembered them when I was a kid.....Used to really enjoy a soda (coke, pepsi, dr.pepper,etc) or a hamburger with fries......ALL different.......even a shake isn't the same with regard to taste....Seems to me that the more "advanced" we become in the different aspects of food science, the more backward tasting, cardboard flavored food we produce......All in the name of health  ??? and the all powerful buck  :(  Personally, I would rather have a small amount of something that tastes really good as opposed to having a large amount of something that tastes like #%*&  >:(
Buffalo

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 01:17:52 PM »
Hey, Great tip.  Which store in Atlanta was that?

Jeff

The Kroger at Toco Hills (Lavista Rd. and North Druid Hills Rd.)  Look in the Kosher for Passover section near produce.  The Cokes are not labeled Kosher.  I am not sure why, but look for the yellow-capped coke.  There was 200-300 on Monday (the day they arrived), but they may have more in reserve.

TM

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 06:16:29 PM »
Thanks. I've got spies heading over there tonight.

Offline csacks

• It takes some big onions.
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 03:28:16 PM »
I think one thing needs to be pointed out.  When Coke used sugar, it was cane sugar.  Sugar can be made from a couple of sources.  One of them being sugar beets.  The old Coke taste that we can barely remember came from cane.  CraiG

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 07:56:32 PM »
I just picked up some 2 liter bottles of "real" Coke at the local Wegmans.  79 cents each with a Wegmans card!

Good stuff.

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 06:14:31 PM »
OK, i have a can of canadian coke sitting here, it lists the sugar as:

sugar/glucose-fructose

can anyone tell me if this is corn sugar too?

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 08:34:49 PM »
OK, i have a can of canadian coke sitting here, it lists the sugar as:

sugar/glucose-fructose

can anyone tell me if this is corn sugar too?

It looks like it is.† According to this website, HFCS (which consists of glucose and fructose) is labelled as "glucose-fructose" in Canada.

http://tinyurl.com/jxf8a

I don't know if it is as pervasive in Canada as in the US.† Here in the States the stuff is pretty much unavoidable, in all sorts of packaged food and beverages.

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.