Author Topic: Pizza with Authentic classic Coca Cola  (Read 7646 times)

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
Re: Pizza with Authentic classic Coca Cola
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 08:29:05 AM »
Scott, in the sixties before the big mac and quarter pounder whole potatoes were delivered to each restaurant, there they were washed put into a giant hand press to cut the fries.  They had two very large separate fryers.  One was used to make the intial fry while the second one was used as a final fry just before serving.  When they went to factory made fries all of that changed.  I think over the years there have been several changes.  Seems like last year McDonald's game under fire after they admitted spraying the fries with animal fat for flavor after saying they were fried in only vegtable oil.

I promise you a hamburger, french fry and a handmade chocolate milk shake at McDonald's was a wonder of the day.

Randy

I remember as afar back as early 70's. McD's was an actual TREAT, not a staple in one's diet. We'd have to drive 2-3 miles for a McD's, which in a city like Chicago, seems far now. I can throw a stone in any direction and hit one now. Funny how when McD's went back to "real" milk shakes, they ended up cost nearly $4! The burgers were something else back then.
BTW, I went to an A&W recently...FORGET IT! Tastes like BK boiled in water. Definitely NOT the A&W of the 70's on old Rural Routes, where the rootbeer came in a an actual frosted mug.

We gotta get a time machine........

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 09:43:10 AM »
Oh, yes when I had made enough tips working at Winn-Dixie as a bagboy to add a gallon or two of gas to 57 Ford we would pile in to get a big to-go carton of A&W rootbeer on beach blvd and head to McDonald's for hamburgers and french fries. We were all brown as paper sacks back then so by the time we had downed all that good, we would be driving on the beach.
Last time we were there the A&W was now a shrink wrap place to sweat it off,  the Macdonald's was torn down and the beach was now covered with beach blankets all adorned with oily gay men.

Sometimes going back is not such a good idea.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »
LOL the local grocery store finally decided to put out the Passover coke out AFTER Passover Picked up a few 2 litre bottles...
Patrick

scott123

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 05:27:59 PM »
LOL the local grocery store finally decided to put out the Passover coke out AFTER Passover Picked up a few 2 litre bottles...

Is it out now? I have to pick some up.  The throwback pepsi a couple months ago was pretty good, but the throwback mountain dew... that took me right back to high school.  Oowee that was good stuff!

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 05:36:41 PM »
I feel like it should have been out for the past few weeks, but today is the first time i saw it at stop & shop in Wyckoff.
Patrick

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »
I've been drinking Passover Coke for quite some time now, although I don't think the difference is something to shout about. I love beer, and I love pizza, but I find the combination of beer and pizza disgusting. And when someone else at the table drinks beer, they will inevitably deliver a Budmilcoors-and-pizza belch that smells so bad everyone else will want to heave. Give me Coke, every time.

RE old-style McDonald's fries, one of the recipes in my cookbook is for twice-fried fries made in beef fat. They are unbelievable. Duck and goose fat are said to be even better.

McDonald's fries are garbage now. I don't know of a single restaurant that makes fries correctly. The other day I tried Five Guys fries, and while everyone raves about them, they were just big fries cooked in what tasted like canola oil. Not great. Canola either tastes like nothing or fish, depending on the batch.

The local groceries here give me free beef fat. I ask them to save it, and then I cart it out. Once I ordered a Noche Buena pig and also asked for beef fat. When I went to pick up the pig, they had two huge packages of fat waiting, and I rolled the pig and the fat out past the other shoppers on a utility cart.

Good times.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:31:01 PM by Puzzolento »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »
Guys the Hispanic section, at least in the South, has Cokes made with sugar year round.

The Heritage Doctor Peppers made with real sugar are really , really good. So much better than regular doctor pepper Most stores down here carry them.

Randy

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 07:01:18 PM »
Puzzolento,  5 guys fries in peanut oil,  and their fries are darn good,  if not a little pricey,  like their menu.  Beer and pizza are classic,  and its time to ditch your buddies if they are going to belch in your face. Your opinions are all over the place.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:02:58 PM by widespreadpizza »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 08:29:50 PM »
When I went to Armenian and had the coke and sprite there it tasted a lot better than the ones here because they use real sugar and a lot of it. The first time I had Fanta was over there as well, it was the best thing I drank there, I couldn't believe they didn't have it in America. This was like 10 11 years ago when I went. All the drinks there are still in glass not plastic bottles. 

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 07:15:37 AM »
I think what has the beverage companies market testing sugar again is the corn market pressure from ethanol production.

If you are too young to have tasted the fresh fried french fries from McDonalds early days and their shakes, you have missed a real treat.  LOL, of course I would trade a off few years and say I missed that.

Ya boy, go with peanut oil.  The twice fried french fry is the way to go.  Have a good eye and light for the first fry.  Watch the steam rising from the oil.  If the steam stops, the fry will start taking on oil.  Different bags of potatoes even though they are the same variety, have  different moisture content.  When McDonalds first got started, the first new place, the french fries were not near as good as the fries at the McDonald brother's original restaurant.  The fry and the shake were key to restaurant,( both of which are gone now.)  A Idaho potato expert realized it was the storage that made the difference.  They had to be there long enough for the starch to change to sugar(That may be backwards but you get the idea.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 09:58:42 AM »
Puzzolento,  5 guys fries in peanut oil,  and their fries are darn good,  if not a little pricey,  like their menu.

Are you are aware that not everyone likes what you like? Peanut oil has almost no flavor, and the same applies to Five Guys fries. Beef fat is delicious, as older people who know fries can tell you. See the preceding posts, made by people other than me. I'm not sure why you singled me out instead of taking them to task.

Your opinions are all over the place.

Learning to tolerate other people's opinions is a step toward maturity. I am never going to agree with you about everything, and there is no reason I should. Best to accept it. I don't go around telling people they can't drink beer with pizza. Why should you tell me I'm wrong because I find the combination disgusting?

Eat and drink what you want, and enjoy it.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »
I dont really like 5 Guys fries but their burgers are ownage. Marc there is a place in Brighton called UBurger their friers are awesome, their burgers are ok at best, they don't have that 5 Guys fatty deliciousness.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 10:53:07 AM »
I liked the Five Guys burger I had. It was like Wendy's with a little more effort and care.

I love Wendy's, but their burgers always look like someone just sat on them, and the fries smell bad.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 12:01:23 PM »
scott123 if you like this coke, have you tried Boylan's soda?  They have 2 different versions of their cola (which is sort of weird...) both are in glass bottles and use sugar.  http://www.boylanbottling.com/ 

my personal favorite is the "natural" boylan's soda which surprisingly quite complex, with essential oils of vanilla, cinnamon, lemon, lime, cola,  and you can really taste the different flavors in there.

best of all it is quite affordable.  where a 4 pack of 8oz glass coke with HFCS is like 5 dollars, Boylans bottles are $65 to 70 cents each (12oz) in 24 packs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:03:01 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »
Costco had cane sugar Coke too.

The Kosher for Passover stuff is in the same bottle, with the same corn syrum label, but somewhere, usually on the cap, it will have the "K for P" inscription.  I used to hoard it when I lived back east.  They don't seem to get much in the way of "K for P' foods out here in WA.  Fortunately, Passover is OVER!!!!!  Time to get some dough in the fridge.

Jack

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 04:12:28 PM »
HEB here in Round Rock had Pepsi and Mountain Dew "Throwback" with cane sugar, and the old packaging on each.

There really is a difference between sugar and the poison HCFS
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 07:42:53 PM »
While talking cola one wierd one that deseves mention is Red Bull cola,  its all natural and is very good and unique.  I also enjoy Boylans too.
BSO I'll keep a lookout for uburger,  thanks for the tip.  Is there just one?
Puzzolento, I'll drop you a pm.  -marc

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 08:26:24 PM »
There are two but they are right next to eachother. The first one opened at the end of BU near the UNO then they opened one at the beginning of BU near Super88. Its kinda dumb how they opened them so close to eachother.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 03:49:21 PM »
I think one thing needs to be pointed out.  When Coke used sugar, it was cane sugar.  Sugar can be made from a couple of sources.  One of them being sugar beets.  The old Coke taste that we can barely remember came from cane.  CraiG

I am pretty certain that cane and beet sugars are pretty indistinguishable by taste, i.e. they taste the same, unlike corn products.  I know some folks like cane better than beet for baking, but they taste the same, although beet may be a tad sweeter.

Jack

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2010, 07:49:22 PM »
I have to post something. The other day, I gave Five Guys fries a pretty neutral review. Today I tried them again. I don't know if the first batch was stale or what, but they were much better this time. Animal fat is still king, but these are good fries.

pizzapan