Author Topic: Vito and Nicks Clone  (Read 2908 times)

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: Vito and Nicks Clone
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 11:25:28 AM »
I cooked that around 520 and it was done in about half the time my normal Chi-thins cook for in a cutter pan. Something very different happened on this bake...I think the biggest difference was that the sauce cooked real hot and boy did it wake the flavor up for my thin crust pizzas now.  :chef:  Crust turned out way different too.  ;)

thanks Bob

good different ?

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »
I cooked that around 520 and it was done in about half the time my normal Chi-thins cook for in a cutter pan. Something very different happened on this bake...I think the biggest difference was that the sauce cooked real hot and boy did it wake the flavor up for my thin crust pizzas now.  :chef:  Crust turned out way different too.  ;)

Very nice, from the photos it was obviously delicious!  :chef:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »
Very nice, from the photos it was obviously delicious!  :chef:
Thank you CDN....I can't wait to add my new Sicilian oregano to the mix on this type of pizza; very excited!

Deb.....yes, very good different. Each square held up "firm,slightly crisp, yet foldable"all the way to the center. My normal style is baked in cutter pan with a very pale tan color, soft and foldable(often with too much grease right in the dough and pretty big gum line) but it's one of those deals where it is what you grew up with and I can duplicate that real well. This style was really only made at a few joints back in the day in my home town of Aurora....I've known all along that most other "Chicago style" pizza joints baked up a bit crispier crust....that is what I have now with this higher heat and baked right on stone, zero gum. It is really good pizza Deb.
  :chef:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:08:18 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 05:07:26 PM »
Thank you CDN....I can't wait to add my new Sicilian oregano to the mix on this type of pizza; very excited!

Deb.....yes, very good different. Each square held up "firm,slightly crisp, yet foldable"all the way to the center. My normal style is baked in cutter pan with a very pale tan color, soft and foldable. This style was really only made at a few joints back in the day in my home town of Aurora....I've known all along that most other "Chicago style" pizza joints baked up a bit crispier crust....that is what I have now with this higher heat and baked right on stone. It is really good pizza Deb.
  :chef:

gonna go uncover the blackstone now,  made some of this dough earlier  8)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
gonna go uncover the blackstone now,  made some of this dough earlier  8)
Sounds like a plan Deb, did you make the dough recipe with the oil in it or the milk one?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 05:20:48 PM »
Sounds like a plan Deb, did you make the dough recipe with the oil in it or the milk one?

the recipe with the oil but I had some skim milk I needed to use up so replaced 1/2 the water with that

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »
the recipe with the oil but I had some skim milk I needed to use up so replaced 1/2 the water with that
Good deal, thanks....next batch I'll try the V&N milk recipe.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »
Glad u liked it Bob.  I would like you to test the same dough in your home oven too and let me know what you think.  Love this recipe though and will be sticking with it.  The water vs oil %'s is just right.   I may be ordering my BS too soon though, want to start dabbling with some Neo pies.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 08:35:25 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 09:21:26 PM »
Glad u liked it Bob.  I would like you to test the same dough in your home oven too and let me know what you think.  Love this recipe though and will be sticking with it.  The water vs oil %'s is just right.   I may be ordering my BS too soon though, want to start dabbling with some Neo pies.
Actually, I've been doing that formula for years Nate...in my home oven at lower temp and in cutter pan. I always used and recommended Loo Waters "emergency"  in my Chi-town thin posts.
AP Flour (I used Gold Medal Unbleached)  100%
Water 50
Corn oil 3
Salt 1
ADY 1
TF = .09

And I've played with that every which way...more oil, less oil...adding sugar etc.   The BS oven , on the stone, turns it into another whole different pizza. An extremely excellent pizza. Hope you do get a BS soon, you will likey!  :)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 11:43:09 PM »
Another one...similar to the other one. That new Sicilian oregano was my missing link. I can die happy now!   ;D

Offline pythonic

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »
Actually, I've been doing that formula for years Nate...in my home oven at lower temp and in cutter pan. I always used and recommended Loo Waters "emergency"  in my Chi-town thin posts.
AP Flour (I used Gold Medal Unbleached)  100%
Water 50
Corn oil 3
Salt 1
ADY 1
TF = .09

And I've played with that every which way...more oil, less oil...adding sugar etc.   The BS oven , on the stone, turns it into another whole different pizza. An extremely excellent pizza. Hope you do get a BS soon, you will likey!  :)

Did you ever bake it directly on the stone in your home oven in the past?  I've always got much better results than using a cutter pan.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 06:18:29 PM »
Did you ever bake it directly on the stone in your home oven in the past?  I've always got much better results than using a cutter pan.
Nope, always just wanted to make what I grew up on....."My normal style is baked in cutter pan with a very pale tan color, soft and foldable(often with too much grease right in the dough and pretty big gum line) but it's one of those deals where it is what you grew up with and I can duplicate that real well. This style was really only made at a few joints back in the day in my home town of Aurora....I've known all along that most other "Chicago style" pizza joints baked up a bit crispier crust....that is what I have now with this higher heat and baked right on stone, zero gum."

Offline pythonic

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 06:39:56 PM »
Nope, always just wanted to make what I grew up on....."My normal style is baked in cutter pan with a very pale tan color, soft and foldable(often with too much grease right in the dough and pretty big gum line) but it's one of those deals where it is what you grew up with and I can duplicate that real well. This style was really only made at a few joints back in the day in my home town of Aurora....I've known all along that most other "Chicago style" pizza joints baked up a bit crispier crust....that is what I have now with this higher heat and baked right on stone, zero gum."

Yep.  This can be achieved in a home oven as well on stone.  I do 4:30 bakes and it comes out perfect.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »
But why use a $20 pizza stone when you can use a $400 grill instead?  :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 07:39:04 PM »
Because when it's 90 degrees in the shade I can pre-heat BS outside for 5 min and then bake pizza for 5 min....done. The central air in my house is old...and like me, no need to over tax it!    :P

Offline pythonic

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »
Because when it's 90 degrees in the shade I can pre-heat BS outside for 5 min and then bake pizza for 5 min....done. The central air in my house is old...and like me, no need to over tax it!    :P

:D

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 11:00:28 PM »
Because when it's 90 degrees in the shade

Um, it's December.   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 11:27:24 PM »
Um, it's December.   ;D
Oh yeah...that's right. Ummm....I like to plan ahead.  8)

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »
Bob,
Those look great.  Took one of my sons and wife to V&N last month and that second set of pics really bring it back.

I need to try this second day in my wfo.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2013, 07:31:40 PM »
Bob,
Those look great.  Took one of my sons and wife to V&N last month and that second set of pics really bring it back.

I need to try this second day in my wfo.
Thank you Tony....I sure hope to go to V&N someday.  :chef:

pizzapan