Author Topic: Another FGM 950 build  (Read 811 times)

Offline altheg

• I Love Pizza!
Another FGM 950 build
« on: December 01, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »
There have been several threads about the building the FGM 950 oven.  I purchased the 950C raised about a year ago, started the build last spring and finally completed the final touches.  Instead of focusing on the oven build details which have been thoroughly discussed, I will show some details of ht enclosure build, as I spent significantly more time and effort on that aspect.

The oven went together fairly smoothly however I made a few "adjustments" with my high speed grinder wheel for improved fitting which in reality was not needed. 
Being in the SF bay area and having experienced several quakes, I decided to secure the oven to the base.  I found 1/4 inch stainless steel cable and turnbuckles from a boating supply shop.  Drilled through the concrete base (only hitting rebar once) and strapped the oven using the cable and tightening the cable under the base using turnbuckles.

I added the three layers on insulation, including wrapping insulation up and over the flue connector.  I had some leftover radiant barrier foil (from my attic project) and used this instead on Reynolds wrap, securing with aluminum tape.

I spent considerable time looking at enclosure designs on the internet before deciding on my design.  I wanted a low profile flat (actually 1" drop per 3 ft) roof for a "modern" design, while keeping the facade consistent with the recently remodeled back yard.  I actually built a wooden frame as a model before having the final frame built using 2" box stainless steel.  The flat roof had several support ribs.  I screwed sheet steel to the bottom inside surface to hold the concrete as poured. I added some steel studs to help secure the Durock.  I also applied Redguard water resistance layer to the Durock before the metal lath and scratch coat.  The stone work was done by my landscaper.

I used Selkirk products for the Chimney.  3 foot piece + 9 inch piece.  The base at the top of the chimney column is also poured concrete which had about 1/4 inch space to the chimney.  I filled this with high temp caulk.  I added the Selkirk storm collar and caulked all seams, topping off with the cap.

The FGM oven design is such that the chimney is very close to the front door.  I designed the enclosure as close to the chimney insulation as possible to try to prevent the brick arch from being inset too far.  I also requested the thinnest rock be selected near the arch.  The landscaper actually grinded a recessed hole for the thermometer.  Initially I was planning on using a digital thermometer but changed my mind.

No photos of pizza yet, still working on a good dough recipe using my Bosch mixer ( but that's another thread).

Hit the attachment limit so will continue with a few more photos.

Offline altheg

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Another FGM 950 build
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 08:43:06 PM »
Here are a few more photos of the chimney area and others.

Offline csafranek

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »
Wow! Very nice!

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 10:38:40 PM »
Very nice construction.
The thermometer looks a little beat-up. Let me know if you need a new one.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »
Beautiful build!  I like how you extended the chimney cap above the top of the chimney.  On mine, my chimney cap is flush with the top of the chimney and the soot blackens the entire capstone.

Offline altheg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 01:51:33 PM »
I initially purchased the 3 foot Selkirk 8" double wall chimney pipe before I had the chimney plans finalized.  I saw your build and thought the solution of chimney cap sitting directly on top of the chimney section might be a good idea.  I later decided to add clearance so I purchased a 9" section of pipe (part number 8UT-9 for 8" inside diameter double wall chinmey pipe).  The pipes have a twist section that mates together and a cinch band is also provided (this can be seem in the first photo in reply1, right above the caulk ring).  The pipe extensions come in 6, 9, 12, 18 etc. lengths. I purchased from from ventingpipe.com.  The storm collar is 7/8T-SC.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »
The Selkirk brand double wall insulated stainless chimney pipes are the best pipes you can find on the market and strongly recommend them.
The good news is that I do distribute the Selkirk pipes and I am less expensive than ventingpipe.com  :-D

Antoine

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 06:18:38 PM »
The Selkirk brand double wall insulated stainless chimney pipes are the best pipes you can find on the market and strongly recommend them.
The good news is that I do distribute the Selkirk pipes and I am less expensive than ventingpipe.com  :-D

Antoine

That's what I used on mine as well (10"). I pulled up a latter one evening after the oven had been running full hot all day and well into the night and the pipe was only warm to the touch. You could easily hold your hand on it.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 07:33:42 PM »
That's what I used on mine as well (10"). I pulled up a latter one evening after the oven had been running full hot all day and well into the night and the pipe was only warm to the touch. You could easily hold your hand on it.

Absolutely, truly a great product. That allows to be able to caulk around it, do pass-through in a wood studded wall / ceiling or a shingle roof with minimal clearance.
Also the fact that the pipe is hot inside and cold outside increase proper air flow and draft.

Antoine