Author Topic: gluten free NY style. yes. GF NY.  (Read 912 times)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
gluten free NY style. yes. GF NY.
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:03:59 AM »
pretty simple.  basic, gluuteny flour, cornmeal (hydrated, below), and basic home ingredients.

this is for a 14" pan, by the way:

170g gluuteny basic flour, 30g cornmeal
110g, 70g water. 30g milk
4g yeast
1g each baking powder and baking soda
2g salt
4g sugar
9g olive oil
1g powdered milk
10g cornstarch

hydrate by boiling the cornmeal in 110g water.  throw it in a bowl, nuke it until its like oatmeal.  takes all the 'meal' out of it. it will be as soft as flour. should come out like a starchy thick cornmeal.  this is fine. 

add the milk (i used whole) to the corn mash while still hot.  should land it around 110f. let it sit while you measure the rest of your ingredients.

add your sugar, yeast, salt to the flour. mix it a bit. add the corn mash to the flour, and mix until it's incorporated.

i tend to always hydrate my yeast. IDY ADY CY or starter, always.  i always aim for close to 90f, +/-5f. i add the yeast/sugar/IDY/flour/BS/BP to the mixer, with the corn mash. then i add the milk powder to the mix, when it collects together. then i add the oil, and then the water. IMO, if you add ALL of the water, it slops the dough and makes it like water and play dough. i like to get it all mixed and clumpy, and let the remaining water collect it into dough.  there is NO gluten, so toss all you know out the window.  it will not act or collect like normal dough.

so yeah, now it's all mixed.   take it out, use 20-25g of flour to dust and stretch/fold the dough.   it will not 'get rubbery' as you do this.  there is no gluten to build strength.

let it rest 15 minutes.    lightly oil (butter) a 14" pan. i like to use butter, room temp, brushed onto the pan, about 2" from the border. form the dough out to a fat, flat disc about 7" before forming it to the pan.   i have had great success with using oiled (buttered) hands at this point. GF dough sticks to everything. even oiled hands.  butter really seems to drag it out until it sticks to you.

form it out to the pan edge, leaving a slight crust.  cover, let rise an hour at room temp.  sauce/top as you wish.  i baked this at 450, no pre-bake.  used the bottom most rack slot until golden spots and brown cheese spots showed.  then moved it down to the bottom rack above the element.  i had a perforated 15" serving sheet above it the whole time.  GF dough is tough to brown without PJ levels of sugar, but if you can balance it, it will be rewarding.     no window on time, time wasn't of concern when i made this.

final notes? the best GF pizza i've ever tasted. leaps and bounds.  i've had worse from a looooot of legit stores, too.  the corn mash comes out as soft as any dough, no grain to it.  i suggest any celiac with a scale and knowledge of pizza to try this.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:38:56 PM by c0mpl3x »
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: gluten free NY style. yes. GF NY.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:21:56 AM »
Hi, looks good, and thanks for posting with pics :)  Out of curiosity, are you celiac?

I have a couple of questions after reading your post.  First off, what is "basic gluuteny flour"?  Second...I'm having trouble understanding the measurements of your water.  You call for "110g, 70g water."  Then, you talk about boiling the cornmeal in 30g of water.  So I see 110g, 70g, and 30g of water at various points in this recipe :)  Can you clarify all this?

Once I understand what's going on here, I'm definitely going to try it, as it sounds (and looks, from the pictures) intriguing!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »
Hi, looks good, and thanks for posting with pics :)  Out of curiosity, are you celiac?

I have a couple of questions after reading your post.  First off, what is "basic gluuteny flour"?  Second...I'm having trouble understanding the measurements of your water.  You call for "110g, 70g water."  Then, you talk about boiling the cornmeal in 30g of water.  So I see 110g, 70g, and 30g of water at various points in this recipe :)  Can you clarify all this?

Once I understand what's going on here, I'm definitely going to try it, as it sounds (and looks, from the pictures) intriguing!

i have a friend from way back who recently moved back to where i live from chicago, and she is a celiac.  and she really loves pizza. and the only GF pizza around here is freezer stuff or it's an hour away.

but, yes i typo'd some of that. i'll edit it.    and you use 110g water, boiling, to soften the corn meal into basically 'cream of wheat'.  add the milk to bring down the temp from boiling a little.  i took a spatula and a metal 2qt shallow sided bowl and spread the corn mash all over it to aid in cooling it down so it didn't kill the yeast.  i wrote that post after a few too many beers but all the procedure and weights are correct.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 03:03:04 PM »
You also mentioned to use 25-grams of "flour" to stretch and fold the dough, is this the "Gluuteny" flour or some other flour like rice flour?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
You also mentioned to use 25-grams of "flour" to stretch and fold the dough, is this the "Gluuteny" flour or some other flour like rice flour?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

same flour.  i purchased 6lbs for something like $30, which is a little pricey but it's a good flour. considering the ingredients, i'm not offended at the price

http://www.gluuteny.com/

they are a full blown gluten/casein free facility and bakery, too.

http://www.gluuteny.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=29&virtuemart_category_id=1&Itemid=142

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »
Jon,

It still isn't clear to me what this means:

Peter

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 11:10:33 PM »
Jon,

It still isn't clear to me what this means:

Peter

110g of the water was used to hydrate the cornmeal. 30g of the milk was added to the corn mash.  70g of the water was added after i mixed everything else. did i forget to detail this??

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 07:25:45 AM »
110g of the water was used to hydrate the cornmeal. 30g of the milk was added to the corn mash.  70g of the water was added after i mixed everything else. did i forget to detail this??
Jon,

It is perhaps all in there somewhere but, to be honest, I still am not sure I could practice the recipe and be sure I did it right.

For example, in the recipe itself, you refer to "yeast". But in the fourth paragraph of the text, you mention yeast twice, once generically and also specifically as IDY. That confused me (are there two different "yeasts"?). Also, I wasn't sure when the 70 grams of water went into the mix since the fourth paragraph didn't say to add that water specifically after the oil, but rather only "the water". Also, I couldn't tell what quantity of water, or possibly some other part of the two water quantities, was used to rehydrate the yeast and when specifically that was done. Was it all of the water, or only one of the stated quantities of water?

I mention the above since in my experience people, especially novices, will not try recipes that they can't understand or follow or where only skilled cooks or bakers are able to figure things out because of their higher skill levels and greater knowledge. There is great demand for gluten-free pizzas so it would be nice for celiacs and others who seek gluten-free pizzas to have an opportunity to make a pizza like yours, especially since it looks so good.

Peter

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »
Yep, you did :) but it's detailed now, thanks!

I have to second Peter's comments regarding the recipe being a little confusing, but I'll definitely give it a go one of these days as soon as I get a few hours straight of free time.  It looks great!

pizzapan