Author Topic: pizzatherapy.com - Super Bad  (Read 5609 times)

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
pizzatherapy.com - Super Bad
« on: March 15, 2006, 10:07:44 PM »
I was just on this site. What a JOKE!

The recipes are aweful. Morton's table salt, sugar, oil, baker, 2 packs of bakers yeast to 4 cups of flour, roll out with a pin, dust with corn meal, yada, yada.  I wanted to scream.

If you are clueless, why start a whole website? This is like me starting a site about dancing.

The list of top places (at least in my area- Atlanta) is a joke too. The NY places are missing a lot of the top 10 also.

Stay away from this site.

Jeff

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Re: pizzatherapy.com - Super Bad
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 12:24:35 AM »
I was just on this site. What a JOKE!

The recipes are aweful. Morton's table salt, sugar, oil, baker, 2 packs of bakers yeast to 4 cups of flour, roll out with a pin, dust with corn meal, yada, yada.  I wanted to scream.

If you are clueless, why start a whole website? This is like me starting a site about dancing.

The list of top places (at least in my area- Atlanta) is a joke too. The NY places are missing a lot of the top 10 also.

Stay away from this site.

Jeff

I agree.  Would DaVinci buy a paint-by-number kit?   Hardly.  This is for people who think "Italian" means Olive Garden and  "cooking" means opening a can of green beans.

Theirs is PizzaTherapy.   This is PizzaHeaven.  Note the difference.

Cheers,

- Fio
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline DaveyWavey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:34:19 AM »
What a couple of astonishingly ill-considered comments!

Maybe your criticisms would be taken more seriously if you could actually explain what you think is wrong with Pizzatherapy.com. Apart from disagreeing with the list of restaurants that the site recommends, you don't seem to have anything factual to say at all. "What a joke" and "I wanted to scream" doesn't really cut it as a well-reasoned critique. Calling the website "clueness" is an unfounded ad-hominem argument, which further undermines your credibility.

For what it's worth, I think Pizzatherapy.com is a good site. It may not be polished or pretty, and its author might not win any prizes for elegant prose, but one thing is clear - the site is passionate about pizza. Its author has lengthy experience of making and consuming pizza, as passed down to him by his Italian family. I've used some of the recipes and approaches from this website, and they've worked well for me.

I'm not really sure what else you're looking for from a pizza website. Maybe you could let us know...?

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 10:43:13 AM »
I have been making pizza for years and am happy to say that I have reached the point of skill that I am satisfied with.  I do owe much of my success to this site as well as Pizzatherapy and several other sites.  I am not in full agreement with ANY OF THE SITES, but have taken from each the recommendations and recipes that I believed addressed my personal problems and needs and believe I have improved upon them.  If there are specifics that anyone condemns on any website, lets hear them so that the website (or person) being condemned has the opportunity to address them. 
Buffalo

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 02:40:22 PM »
Like member Buffalo, I check out different pizza-related sites from time to time. And, invariably, I come away with something to add to my memory banks. My interest is in anything that teaches me more about pizza making or how to make better pizzas. To feed my habit in that regard, I do from time to time visit eGullet.com, PMQ, Chowhound.com, Pizza Today, sliceny, and even the Italian pizza making forum (despite having to use imperfect translating software). As good as these places may be, my favorite, other than Pizzamaking.com, is the PMQ site, especially because of the Think Tank forum and, more particularly, because of people like Tom Lehmann and Evelyne Slomon who are good teachers and from whom much can be learned. And, at least with respect to Evelyne Slomon, the feeling seems to be mutual. In response to a reply that I recently posted at the PMQ Think Tank, in which I suggested to a poster that he visit our forum for information on Neapolitan pizzas, Evelyne posted the following (in italics) in her reply:

The two best internet sources of pizza information are here at PMQ and at http://www.pizzamaking.com …..Pizza Making is not a commercial site, but it contains a huge amount of information and I regard it as a place where at the very least, serious pizza aficionados hang out, and semi-pro and future pros get their start.

I have been a serious lurker there for quite sometime.

Since it has been a long time since I last visited the pizzatherapy website, I did so today to see if possibly I have been missing something. I will preface my remarks by saying that what is important to me is that the information I get on pizza be as objective as possible. I can tolerate a modest amount of advertising and links and references to potential suppliers, since that often helps pay the bills, but beyond that I prefer not to be pestered with infomercials or infotainment or offers to buy products or to be teased with what appears to be free information but turns out to be an invitation or offer to pay for it. Some places will at least warn you that you will be taken to a “not for free” site, and for that I am always grateful.

That said, my biggest complaint with the pizzatherapy website that it is blatantly self-promoting, with ads and offers on every page, in most instances, several. I don’t begrudge anyone the right to earn a living by selling what they know. This is America, after all. But, with the pizzatherapy website, you really have to work hard to find the information that is free without having to wade through a seemingly endless stream of ads, promotions, and opportunities to buy something or sign up for a newsletter. I am just not patient enough to do that. With our forum there is some advertising and links to amazon.com, but they are quietly in the background, and, if one wishes, the advertising can be eliminated by becoming a Supporting Member and, at the same time, help Steve defray the very real costs of running the forum. But even if you aren’t a Supporting Member, the intrusions on the forum experience are minimal. And in no way do the ads compromise the objectivity of the forum.

BTW, Albert Grande, who is a member of our forum, did respond to Jeff Varasano’s and Fio’s comments on his website at http://www.pizzatherapy.com/pizzanews.htm.

Peter

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Pizzatherapy.com: Not Super Bad, but quite limited.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 02:42:10 PM »
Let me try to explain.

First of all, for a complete newbie, who hasn't the first clue how to make pizza, a site like pizzatherapy fits the bill.  It's designed to allow someone who has NEVER made pizza the chance to make pizza by themself.  The recipies are easy, using supermarket ingredients, and will give the first timer the thrill of making their own pizza.

The website does not address any nuance about achieving pizza greatness.  It's targeted toward achieving pizza, period.

This website addresses a different need. Most of the members here have advanced beyond the basics and are targeting pizza nirvana.  In fact, many of the members here are actual professionals, artisans, genuine culinary greats.  So I guess from our perspective, pizzatherapy is inadequate for our needs. I myself have been making pizza since 1988 and though I'm no professional, I've advanced a bit beyond Kraft cheese,  AP flour and a rolling pin.

But I'll admit that it's unfair for me to hold Pizzatherapy to Steve Zinski's standard.   Pizzatherapy may be inappropriate for us here at pizzamaking.com.  But it's perfectly wonderful for the newbie who has never experienced the alchemical magic of mixing dough, water, and yeast and experiencing the wonderful result. 

Moreover, Pizzatherapy is laced with ads for all manner of products.  It's not so much a resource on making better pizza as a vehicle for advertisements.  That's annoying to a person who knows what they want and wants to learn how to make a better pizza and not be peppered with ads for products.

So let me qualfiy my comments.  Pizzatherapy is good for a newbie, first timer who has never cooked a pizza in his or her life.  It provokes enthusiasm in pizza, and is a great starting resource for anyone who wants to try his or her hand at making pizza at home.

But if that newbie wants to make better pizza, this is the place to be.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 03:41:18 PM by Fio »
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 03:44:08 PM »

BTW, Albert Grande, who is a member of our forum, did respond to Jeff Varasano’s and Fio’s comments on his website at http://www.pizzatherapy.com/pizzanews.htm.

Peter

I mean no disrespect to Albert Grande or his Italian heritage.  I am Italian myself.  I hope my response clarifies things.

If he's a member here, he should have responded here.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 04:25:25 PM »
Fio,

It's possible that Albert became a member of our forum after he responded to your remarks and those of Jeff also. His first post here (the only one) was to bring to our members' attention the release of his new CD, Legends of Pizza: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3234.msg27340.html#msg27340. My initial inclination was to treat the post as an ad, which is not permitted for those who are not Supporting Members, but I thought the subject matter might be of interest to our members nonetheless. I believe he is now a Supporting Member.

Peter

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 11:56:48 AM »
I think newbies could learn a lot from this site!  In fact, the information and instructional quality are outstanding and the willingness of members to help others blows me a way.  I found Pizzatherapy from Reinhart's book, and was not impressed -- mostly due to the number of come-ons on the site.  I don't have a problem with ads, but the content should trump them.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 12:06:06 PM »
if you are turned off by self promotion you will be really turned off by his legends of pizza cd.  It was fun to hear these guys talk about their craft, but at every chance imaginable there was the pizzatherapy plug. It was actually distracting.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 12:51:04 PM »
Not to prolong the ragging on pizzatherapy.com, but based on my reading of the description of the CD, it sounds like it covers much of the content that Peter Reinhart discusses in the first half of his book.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 01:47:52 AM »
DaveyWavey,

you sound like you are affliated with the site.

Sorry, it frankly doesn't deserve a well reasoned critique, any more than papa john's or olive garden does.  I know that some people on this site are super PC and want to think that every comment is a contribution. I personally don't think that way. It took a long time to figure out how to do this right and for newbies, wading through the bad stuff, and not realizing it's bad, is half the problem. If you google "pizza recipes" a hundred copies of the same bad recipe pop up (use IDY in warm water add sugar to feed it,  knead til it pulls away from the side of the hook, rise til double, yada yada, doesn't work). I wish more people would just say it like it is.

For a real pizza recipe click the globe icon under my name.

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:20:04 AM by varasano »

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 09:46:03 AM »
If ya'll didn't already know pizzatherapy has started a pizza making form, I guess after all the insults Albert recived here's the link.
http://pastatherapy.com/forum/index.php
he sent out news letters to all his members asking them to join & help build this site

pizzapan