Author Topic: What if you use dough that hasn't risen?  (Read 2534 times)

Offline UGAChemDawg

• I Love Pizza!
What if you use dough that hasn't risen?
« on: March 16, 2006, 02:28:10 PM »
I put my dough in the refidgerator over night and got it out this morning and left it at room temperature. It's been about 18 hours so far, and the dough doesn't look much different now than it did about two hours after I made it. I think what happened is that the water I used to proof the yeast was too hot and it killed it (you could still see steam coming off the water when I put the yeast into it)

What if I use the dough like it is? I really don't want to start over.

Offline buzz

Re: What if you use dough that hasn't risen?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 02:34:51 PM »
I don't think you'll be happy with it! Lol!

Just start over. If the water was steaming, it's too hot for the yeast. I gauge it by feel--just a bit warmer than body temperature. But you can get a yeast thermometer, if you'd like.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 04:20:33 PM »
Usually you can tell whether the yeast in the dough was killed because the dough has no life to it. It will feel and spread just like putty or Play-Doh with no springback when you push against it. It will just go where you push it and sit there. I have made cold-fermented doughs that hardly rose at all but they were still OK. However, that is usually not the case where the dough has been at room temperature for several hours. If your kitchen was at normal temperature (i.e., not cold), the dough should have shown some signs of life.

Peter

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 05:14:45 AM »
I put my dough in the refidgerator over night and got it out this morning and left it at room temperature. It's been about 18 hours so far, and the dough doesn't look much different now than it did about two hours after I made it. I think what happened is that the water I used to proof the yeast was too hot and it killed it (you could still see steam coming off the water when I put the yeast into it)

What if I use the dough like it is? I really don't want to start over.

If you decide to use it, it will remain thin and white when cooked.  It would probably work better as a pita bread for a gyro.