Author Topic: Belgian Beer Yeast  (Read 887 times)

Offline sourbug

• Brewing and Making Pizza
Belgian Beer Yeast
« on: December 04, 2013, 12:30:20 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to the pizza making obsession, but I'm a brewer so I have a lot of access to various strains of beer yeast.  I'm wondering if anyone here has experimented with making their dough with any Belgian strains of beer yeast?  For those that don't know, Belgian strains are known for producing esters, phenolics and spiciness that are very distinct. I doubt this would come through in the dough, but it's an interesting thought.

I brew a lot of sour/wild beers also, and they contain wild strains of yeast and bacteria like lactobacillus.  Makes me wonder about that too :D  Already thinking of ways to combine both obsessions.  Thoughts?

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Belgian Beer Yeast
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »
I brew also, but never got into wild strains and sour beers.

However don't think many of the "beer" yeasts would have the leveling power needs for the dough to rise and get its pizza like qualities without some major prep.

You would almost have to treat it like a starter that you would use for brewing and substitute the starter solution for the water in the dough recipe. It might be a LOT of experimentation to hit the proper part of the fermentation curve, but I would say its possible. There is a good thread about substituting beer for water and doing something like this would be very similar, but instead of using already fermented out beer, you would be starting with young sweet beer.

There are also other considerations such as heat tolerances of the yeast, PH that it needs to grow and etc.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:22:01 PM by Surffisher2A »

Offline sourbug

• Brewing and Making Pizza
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 01:34:10 PM »
I brew also, but never got into wild strains and sour beers.

However don't think many of the "beer" yeasts would have the leveling power needs for the dough to rise and get its pizza like qualities without some major prep.

You would almost have to treat it like a starter that you would use for brewing and substitute the starter solution for the water in the dough recipe. It might be a LOT of experimentation to hit the proper part of the fermentation curve, but I would say its possible. There is a good thread about substituting beer for water and doing something like this would be very similar, but instead of using already fermented out beer, you would be starting with young sweet beer.

There are also other considerations such as heat tolerances of the yeast, PH that it needs to grow and etc.

You bring up a couple really good points and things to consider.  Thanks!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:18:32 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline puckboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 12:07:08 PM »
I tried it once and didn't have any luck with it. I still have the yeast tablets in my frig. From my research... baking yeast and brewing yeast behave very differently and you can't use one for the other. I'm a HUGE fan of Belgian Triples and thought the flavor would be great in pizza crust... major fail on my end