Author Topic: My Neopolitan pizza at home  (Read 2664 times)

Offline bobbyjface

• I Love Pizza!
My Neopolitan pizza at home
« on: December 05, 2013, 08:55:15 PM »
Tonight was pizza night and I am getting closer to the type of dough I want. Maybe someday I will have a brick oven but for now I have to make due with a stone and a max temp of 550.

I am looking for any tips or tricks to make my pie better with my limited oven temp.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:14:21 PM by bobbyjface »

Offline sub

Re: My Neopolitan pizza at home
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 04:16:29 AM »
Hi Bobby,

Next time put the stone on the top rack, the pie should be very close of the top heating element (2-3")

Offline bobbyjface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:44:16 AM »
Sub,
So I have a gas oven and the heating element is at the bottom however the broiler heating element is at the top but I have not tried that.  I also haven't tried using convection yet either.  Do you have any pics of some of your pies?  What type of stone do you have?

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »
Most of the time, putting it as close to the broiler as possible is the best way of heating it.  In your oven, I'm willing to bet the broiler shuts off prior to heating to proper temperature.  I usually prop the door slightly open with an oven mitt to allow heat to escape, which keeps the broiler on to continue to heat the stone up.  Depending on how close you can get the stones, you should be able to get it up into the high 600s or low 700s with your oven. 

Depending on how close the stone is to the broiler, you may have to lower the stone 1 level prior to baking.  What I typically do is use the hot stones and the broiler to cook the pie.  Once the top is done, I turn the broiler off and depending on how hot you got those stones, the bottom may or may not be done.  Heh, one thing is, you never want the pie too close too the broiler.  I've had it rise a lot during baking and next thing you know, the dough has caught fire cuz its in the flame.

Offline bobbyjface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »
So I added a little foil around the edge of the oven rack to force all the heat from the bottom through my pizza stone and it raised the temp of my stone by at least 100 degrees.  I say at least because the infrared thermometer I am using maxes out at 650F. 

Offline bobbyjface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 11:02:01 AM »
Last pie of 2013.

I moved the stone up in the oven as suggested (thanks BenLee) and used the broiler to cook the top.  I also picked up a surface thermometer and was able to get an accurate temp on the stone of 675.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:10:18 AM by bobbyjface »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 11:20:44 AM »
Last pie of 2013.

I moved the stone up in the oven as suggested (thanks BenLee) and used the broiler to cook the top.  I also picked up a surface thermometer and was able to get an accurate temp on the stone of 675.

That last pie looks great. Too bad you ran out of pepperoni!!!  LOL

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline bobbyjface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »
Well Mark I had to sacrifice half for my vegetarian wife. 

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 06:31:36 PM »
I am vegetarian too but I eat meat. I have always reasoned that cows are vegetarians and since you are what you eat, I must be a vegetarian because I am eating a vegetarian.

Offline bobbyjface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 07:12:13 PM »

I am vegetarian too but I eat meat. I have always reasoned that cows are vegetarians and since you are what you eat, I must be a vegetarian because I am eating a vegetarian.

Lol I will have to try that logic on my wife.

Offline halfprice

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 10:51:12 PM »

Lol I will have to try that logic on my wife.

Logic----wife

Those two words don't normally go together.

Jerry

Offline bobbyjface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
Veggie pie with onion, green peppers, red peppers, and lots of fresh roasted garlic.  Cooked at 715 and finished with the broiler.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:31:11 AM by bobbyjface »

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 11:44:45 PM »
That last pie looks great!  If you don't mind me asking, what do you use for yeast/starter?
Josh

Offline bobbyjface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 11:30:58 AM »
That last pie looks great!  If you don't mind me asking, what do you use for yeast/starter?

My father owns an Italian restaurant but it is about 300 miles away from where I live.  The last time he came to visit he brought me some of the cake yeast he uses at his restaurant.  I noticed a pretty big difference over ADY.   I typically use the autolyse technique put the yeast and water into a bowl dissolving the yeast then mixing that into my flour minus 1/3 of the total flour.  I mix it let it set for about 20 minutes before adding the rest of the flour and salt.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:32:40 AM by bobbyjface »

Offline bobbyjface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 10:57:51 AM »
A few more pics

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »

My father owns an Italian restaurant but it is about 300 miles away from where I live.  The last time he came to visit he brought me some of the cake yeast he uses at his restaurant.  I noticed a pretty big difference over ADY.   I typically use the autolyse technique put the yeast and water into a bowl dissolving the yeast then mixing that into my flour minus 1/3 of the total flour.  I mix it let it set for about 20 minutes before adding the rest of the flour and salt.

Great, thanks . . . And that new pie is a beauty.
Josh