Author Topic: zuppardi's  (Read 1180 times)

Offline ridr44

zuppardi's
« on: December 06, 2013, 07:07:12 AM »
Anyone have any idea how Zuppardi's in West Haven does their dough?  They say they make it the same day and they cook at relatively low temperatures for about ten minutes...??

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
Re: zuppardi's
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
HI
WHERE did you see it posted that it is a SAME DAY DOUGH?  Im not saying its wrong....ive simply not come across ANY Zuppardi's info......

And 10 minutes is low.....Ive been there about a half dozen times......12-13 minutes is the lowest IVe ever timed....thanks a ton for any info.

Offline ridr44

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 05:09:58 AM »
Watch this....this is the most info i have found...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJve8O3XRg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJve8O3XRg</a>

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »
Sure sounds like their main supply is same day........strange.  I not putting down what he says as law.....but still.......the heat of the oven makes no sense either.  At 525 to 550, the time should be around 8 minutes....Ive worked in a half dozen places in Connecticut, all centered around NH style pizza, and they ALL have used 550.....and the pies go for about 8 minutes....depending on how busy they are.  Zupps pies are EASILY in the 12-15 minute range....that makes the temp, according to knowledable people, 425-475.....

what I think is happening at zuppardis is a place that used high quality ingredients and processes, but keeps the temps at GBD territory.  I don't see how a pizza can come out at 14 minutes and NOT be below 500.  Ive shucked clams to order and topped the pizzas exactly the way zupps does it and it a GREAT PIE......but the crust is a bit different.

Hats off to them, though.....theyve got a great thing going.  Pizza addicted websites STILL admit the pizzas great.....but the pizza making DOES NOT follow the rule of thumb for making what is percieved as"great pizza".......makes me appreciate the establishment a lot more.

Offline sonny.eymann

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
I have no knowledge of the place the thread is talking about.
but I do have a comment about same day dough.

I am near 400 pizzas in the last 5 months and I have tried everything.

There is no doubt that under mixed dough and a 2 day cold ferment produces very good crusts. If you have a system and a cooler large enough? it is a easy process that does not require much attention.

I am in Panama and there are a lot of pizzerias most crusts are not good but there are a few that are good and they don't cold ferment.

What I have learned that you can arrive a good same day dough. at lease a good enough not to take away from a quality experience of the whole pizza. but you have to understand the goal and the amount of yeast you use depends on the exact handling procedure. 

I can bulk ferment then form balls and continue to let rise slowly until used. if the time from first mix to use is 5 hour or more the pizza is good enough but you need to have experience to adjust the mix yeast level to the condition of the shop and time before expected use.

Sonny
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:03:46 PM by sonny.eymann »

Offline caymus

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 05:48:13 PM »
.  At 525 to 550, the time should be around 8 minutes....Ive worked in a half dozen places in Connecticut, all centered around NH style pizza, and they ALL have used 550.....and the pies go for about 8 minutes....depending on how busy they are.  Zupps pies are EASILY in the 12-15 minute range....that makes the temp, according to knowledable people, 425-475.....

He did say in the video that the thermostat is broken and he is guessing at the temp.  Maybe he is way off on his guess

Offline ridr44

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 07:46:42 AM »
If he is way off and the temp is really in the 4-450 range, is that going to seriously effect the result?  My next bake is going to be 425:)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 12:10:34 PM »
If he is way off and the temp is really in the 4-450 range, is that going to seriously effect the result?  My next bake is going to be 425:)

Star Tavern in Orange NJ makes a very unique pie.  I grew up a short walk from them and tried for years to get a job making pizzas.  They use women and never would hire me but I watched/ate hundreds being made.  They have told me they bake at 450.  I tried one of my dough balls via their proceedure and it came out looking pretty darn close.  Low bake times can yield some cool results.  Walter

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/01/star-tavern-best-bar-pizza-orange-nj.html?ref=search

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 02:15:54 PM »
Yeah. walt...

I think low temps have always been associated with an inferior pie BECAUSE of low quality cheese, sauce, and toppings.  I agree with you, make the toppings high end, and you end up with a high end, albeit, different pie.

Offline zaafreak

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »
I've eaten at Star Tavern several times and its really one of a kind.  My mother grew up in West Orange and to her, it is the holy grail of pizza. When I'm back visiting my mom in NJ next week, I'm going to conduct a couple Star-inspired experiments.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 04:36:34 PM »
I've eaten at Star Tavern several times and its really one of a kind.  My mother grew up in West Orange and to her, it is the holy grail of pizza. When I'm back visiting my mom in NJ next week, I'm going to conduct a couple Star-inspired experiments.

You know I never timed a pie there.  I would be curious to see how long they bake at.  I reflected on my experiment that came out lookiing good.  I started it on our lower blodgett at 450 till it slid off the pan and  started to firm up.  I finished it on the top oven which runs around 560.  I am not one to time/analize.   I get caught up in watching the process, seeing all the ingredients, and in general let it naturally sink in.   To date I have not been inspired to copy anyones pie.  I prefer to go there and eat the real deal and until then enjoy my pie.  I make 1 style, 1 size, and eat 2 slices of cheese everyday for lunch.  Anyway, I wonder how long they bake for.   You get a killer view of the kitchen from where you order to go.  Order to go and step to the side and watch.  They are use to tthat.  IMO the cheese pie is the only one to eat.  Enjoy one for me!  Walter

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »
Walt
I just googled star tavern....man, thats a thin pie, huh??  And dark too??  Zuppardis isn't as dark or as uniform as stars pie....thats one of the puzzling things....but their pies definately lounge around in that oven.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
Walt
I just googled star tavern....man, thats a thin pie, huh??  And dark too??  Zuppardis isn't as dark or as uniform as stars pie....thats one of the puzzling things....but their pies definately lounge around in that oven.

Star starts with oiling a chopped down deep dish pan and the put pie in the oven.  After a few minutes they slide it off and finish it on the deck.  Here is a picture of their pan set up.  The oil definetely adds a flavor/texture to the crust.  I think they cook hotter than 450 and closer to 500 on a ten minutes bake.  Like I said I never have been drawn to disecting pies made by other places.   They have a winter time dine in only $5 for a cheese pie.   That was in place last year when I was there.   Walter