Author Topic: Wingin' it - no measure dough  (Read 510 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Wingin' it - no measure dough
« on: December 06, 2013, 01:57:52 PM »
1 kilo sacks of flour are the norm for the common consumer here in Brazil. I gathered up a few sacks that had a little flour leftover and decided to make an easy, same day, cracker style dough. I'm in the middle of a move, and with the scale packed away I went ahead and put together this dough on the fly, trying my best to achieve 50% hydration, 2% salt and sugar, and 5-8% lard. I used roughly a teaspoon of compressed yeast. I ended up with 2 doughballs, that felt around 275 gms each.  After 3 hours on the counter the d.balls were hand opened, then rolled to about 13".

First pie: salami, fresh mushrooms, red onion and basil.

Second: sweet grape tomatoes, fresh sage, EVOO.

DeCecco passata and whole milk mozz for both. Pies baked on soapstone, 300 deg celcius, middle rack with broiler on for the duration of the 6 min bake.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Wingin' it - no measure dough
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »
Very colorful and tempting. Of course it is almost lunch time here :-D .  When I 1st started making pizza dough, before PM.com, I would measure the amount of water I knew would make one pie, add flour till it felt good, add yeast and salt by guestimate and bake! :o . Amazingly they were eddible , not nearly as nice as yours, but after working on pies for almost 2 years from here, I bet the old method should work just fine.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles