Author Topic: Good golly...we are almost home free  (Read 10177 times)

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Good golly...we are almost home free
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
It should be expected that any place selling Grande at retail will eventually go under. (Same thing happened to the place where I used to buy Grande locally in quantities smaller than a case.) It's this simple: Grande cheese is not appropriate for retail, for a bunch of reasons, like:
  • You're not gonna sell it to the average Joe unless you price it comparably to the cheap stuff everyone else sells;
  • If you do price it that way, you're not gonna make any money by selling it;
  • If you don't price it that way, it won't sell;
  • If you approach cheese sales that way, you're probably doing the same thing with other products, which means you're not making money even if you are making sales;
  • There are very few consumers out there who are willing to buy 5 lbs of any cheese at a time, regardless of the price;
  • That means your stock is probably old;
  • Places that sell Grande at retail usually don't handle it how they should, which turns off the kind of people who are most likely to buy Grande.
I could come up with at least a few more good things to add. I say if you want Grande, go ahead and buy a case from a distributor. Unopened bags are good for at least a couple months after you buy it; maybe longer. And if you can't use all of it that quickly, you can try to sell some and/or freeze some of it. As I recently learned, freezing isn't such a bad thing. My thawed Grande mozzarella wasn't ideal, but it was still way better than anything else I can get. And it was less than $4 a pound. The only issue I had with the frozen cheese was that it clumped.

All the pizzas I've made over the last two weeks, pictured after the original post in this thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28803.0.html) used the cheese that had been in the freezer for about 3 months.

I'm almost certain I was the only person buying their cheese.  This place had some of the worst pizza I've ever tasted.  Terrible sauce and even a more terrible crust.  Only in biz 6 months.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:46:58 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »
LOL I'm worse.  Viking fan.  Sorry I missed what you wrote.  Gas money would kill me though.  Almost better off getting it shipped from PennMac.  I wish I had RD membership so I could try our some of their stuff.

Nate, you could've just reached out to me, and we could find time to hit up RD's for you to load up on some Grande.  My price: you have to make some of that phenomenal looking pizza for my wife and I.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »
I think Nate was probably talking about the last pizza joint that was selling him grande went under.

Or that. Yeah, that kinda changes things.
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Online pythonic

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
Nate, you could've just reached out to me, and we could find time to hit up RD's for you to load up on some Grande.  My price: you have to make some of that phenomenal looking pizza for my wife and I.

Derrick, thanks man.  Do they now sell grande at RD?  They have a few cheeses there I would like to try out.  I've been working hard to achieve these results.  For one my wife hates Chicago thins and she always wants me to make NY instead so I have to work around that.

Nate

Offline Musky

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Italian grocery where I bought it retail won't be going under since they've been famous for about 60 years.  For $3.99 even if they're not making anything, they gouge on other items, especially in the deli case.  Today I looked at whole milk mozzarella at the local chain grocery, albeit at they're "upscale" location, MetroMarket.  $6.99 a pound.  This Grande I bought would have to suck pretty bad to make me buy that.

Kevin

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 07:20:56 PM »
Hey, I didn't say they ALL fail. But it sure is hard to find places that sell Grande cheese (that has been kept cold and hasn't already been on the premises for two or three months).
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Online pythonic

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
Getting ready to fire up the oven for dinner.  Talked my wife into trying it.  Haha.

Online pythonic

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
Tonight's bake.  Tried adding sargento's 4 cheese pizzeria blend to my Sorrento mozz.  Cheese looks wonderful but the sargento had too much smoked provolone and cheddar in it for me.  Also had to bake this 45 seconds longer for wife's additional toppings.  Oh we'll, there's always tomorrow.  Yesterday's was perfection though.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 10:10:43 PM by pythonic »

Online orangeman1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 10:42:39 PM »
I say if you want Grande, go ahead and buy a case from a distributor. Unopened bags are good for at least a couple months after you buy it; maybe longer. And if you can't use all of it that quickly, you can try to sell some and/or freeze some of it. As I recently learned, freezing isn't such a bad thing. My thawed Grande mozzarella wasn't ideal, but it was still way better than anything else I can get. And it was less than $4 a pound. The only issue I had with the frozen cheese was that it clumped.

For those considering freezing Grande cheese, I can tell you that I've been doing it for 2 years with a great deal of success.  The only caution is that once it is thawed, my experience is that it has maximum flavor for only 1-2 days and then it drops off dramatically.  Although very labor intensive, what I do is to get the 30lb. case, and put one 5lb. bag in the fridge, and then break open each bag and put it in 2 lb. freezer zip lock bags and put those bags in a larger freezer bag.  The 2lb. increment represents my typical usage for a given night.  I take it out of the freezer either the night before or the morning of making pizza in the evening.  I have compared the thawed cheese side by side with a new fresh, unfrozen batch of Grande and I can't tell a difference. 

But let it sit for 2-3 days in the fridge after thawing and it can get to be almost tasteless.  My point is, I've used frozen Grande 4-5 months after purchase and it always tastes like new, if you do it the way I suggest.  If you try to freeze a 5 lb. bag as-is, then thaw and started using it over the next couple of weeks, you will be sorely disappointed.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 11:02:58 PM »
Tonight's bake.  Tried adding sargento's 4 cheese pizzeria blend to my Sorrento mozz.  Cheese looks wonderful but the sargento had too much smoked provolone and cheddar in it for me. 
Been there;done that.....and like you, was not impressed.
"Sorrento" brand is going through some changes....it will soon be packed under the "Galbani" label..."Italy's Favorite Cheese Brand".....maybe they will then give us schmucks something we can actually work with and be proud of....please, don't hold your breath for that though.....but ya never know....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online pythonic

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2013, 11:04:57 PM »
Been there;done that.....and like you, was not impressed.
"Sorrento" brand is going through some changes....it will soon be packed under the "Galbani" label..."Italy's Favorite Cheese Brand".....maybe they will then give us schmucks something we can actually work with and be proud of....please, don't hold your breath for that though.....but ya never know....

Yep.  For me a decent mozzarella, parm and healthy dose of animal fat is all you need.

Offline pizzard

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 11:07:49 AM »
Pythonic...

Your pizza looks beautiful!

Do you use a gas or electric oven?  I can't seem to get a satisfactory crust and I think its because I have an electric oven... ???

I live in LA, and have recently started buying my mozzarella at Target, because it has the "Real" cheese symbol, and is from Wisconsin.  I have had pretty good results with this product.

Also...just wanted to let everyone know that I've noticed Costco is carrying Scamorza cheese lately, but I have yet to try it.

Online pythonic

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
Pythonic...

Your pizza looks beautiful!

Do you use a gas or electric oven?  I can't seem to get a satisfactory crust and I think its because I have an electric oven... ???

I live in LA, and have recently started buying my mozzarella at Target, because it has the "Real" cheese symbol, and is from Wisconsin.  I have had pretty good results with this product.

Also...just wanted to let everyone know that I've noticed Costco is carrying Scamorza cheese lately, but I have yet to try it.

I have a gas range.  Is your electric on top?  If so try moving your rack up more.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
I can't seem to get a satisfactory crust and I think its because I have an electric oven... ???

The best workaround for oven variability is to use two stones: one high, one low.  The low stone cooks crust faster, while the top stone cooks toppings faster.

Learning one's oven is the key to good pizza.  Upside?  You need to make more pizza.  :D

HTH,
Garvey

Online pythonic

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »

Learning one's oven is the key to good pizza.  Upside?  You need to make more pizza.  :D

HTH,
Garvey

This

Online pythonic

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 07:58:24 AM »
Last nights bake was right on the money again.  4:30 bake.  Very happy I was able to produce the exact same pizza and it wasn't a unicorn after all.

Nate

Offline derricktung

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 08:45:58 AM »
Derrick, thanks man.  Do they now sell grande at RD?  They have a few cheeses there I would like to try out.  I've been working hard to achieve these results.  For one my wife hates Chicago thins and she always wants me to make NY instead so I have to work around that.

Nate

Nate, I know they sell the Grande curd there the last time I visited (was thinking about learning how to make my own mozz this winter, or work at improving basil growth/production...) and I think they have the dried Grande cheese.  Let's connect via gmail and we'll find a time to meet up at the RD in the next two weeks before the holidays.  This way, you have some cheeses to play with.  Do you have my gmail address?

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
Tenutas has to be my favorite store ever!! I have 2 5lb blocks of there house brand mozz. in the fridge right now. Shame they bumped up the price, it used to be $1.79 for the longest time now it's $2.99.  I recommend anybody passing through the area to check them out
https://www.google.com/search?q=tenutas&client=firefox-a&hs=mBL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=b1qvUsH1O4S-2AXaoIGgCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1521&bih=720

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
Last nights bake was right on the money again.  4:30 bake.  Very happy I was able to produce the exact same pizza and it wasn't a unicorn after all.

Nate

That looks awesome.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 05:46:30 PM »
Anyone know what temp Vito&Nicks run their oven at?  Might try Nate's recipe tonight on the Blackstone...along with my new Frigo brand cheese and a puree base sauce.
Thanks!

Online pythonic

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2013, 06:25:18 PM »
Anyone know what temp Vito&Nicks run their oven at?  Might try Nate's recipe tonight on the Blackstone...along with my new Frigo brand cheese and a puree base sauce.
Thanks!

Didn't know you had a black stone now Bob.  Let us know how it turns out.

Nate

Online pythonic

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2014, 11:40:24 PM »
Baked up this big boy tonight.  My first 16inch pie.  Used parchment paper to launch and removed after 90 secs.  Will be making many more of these in the near future.

Nate

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 11:50:38 PM »
Baked up this big boy tonight.  My first 16inch pie.  Used parchment paper to launch and removed after 90 secs.  Will be making many more of these in the near future.

Nate
Yeah baby...now we're talkin!  :drool:
That's a fast eddie there py....90sec.  :o   What dough situmacation did you use on the beautifacation in the love situation?

Online pythonic

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2014, 12:35:28 AM »
Yeah baby...now we're talkin!  :drool:
That's a fast eddie there py....90sec.  :o   What dough situmacation did you use on the beautifacation in the love situation?

Nah, just 90secs for the parchment paper.  4:30 bake.

Online pythonic

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »
Today's.

pizzapan