Author Topic: Dough scrapers?  (Read 895 times)

Offline derricktung

Dough scrapers?
« on: December 06, 2013, 02:45:17 PM »
Just curious, what kind of dough scrapers did you guys use?

I'm trying to decide between metal, plastic, and nylon ones for the future restaurant... My concern is getting a balance between getting the dough out easily, while not damaging the dough boxes.

Would love to hear your thoughts and what you guys use?

Thanks!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Dough scrapers?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 03:17:43 PM »
I'm happy using those cheap little plastic ones at home, but I think I'd probably want something different if I had a pizzeria. I think I've seen some hard plastic dough scrapers with handles, which sorta resemble ice scrapers. If that's a real memory, I think I'd probably like those better than either metal or cheap plastic dough scrapers for removing dough balls from dough boxes. However, I think metal would probably be best for dividing dough.

Good thing is that they're all pretty cheap. If you buy one kind and don't like it, it's not gonna set you back much.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
I use a basic metal with wooden or plastic handle.  Like Ryan says it divides the dough nicely if the balls stick together and they are stout in your hand.  If you scrape the dough boxes flat they don't damage them.  We use our dough scrapers for a lot of things, scraping tables down before washing, cutting our bagel/bread doughes, scrapping sheet pans out before washing if they are gunked with stuff.  They are hard to beat and kind of like the duck tape of the dough world :). Walter 

Offline derricktung

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 09:49:45 AM »
Thanks to both of you. 

It's interesting, the price difference between plastic ones (<$1) vs the metal ones ($10+) is pretty significant... but if they can be multi-used for cleaning up the tables and other things, I may spring for the metal ones instead.  Appreciate the input!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 12:03:49 PM »
However, I think metal would probably be best for dividing dough.

In case the quoted sentence was not clear, I was referring to dough that's being divided and scaled after mixing, not dough balls that have come into contact with each other in the dough box after fermenting for a while. Cheap plastic scrapers work fine for me at home, where I almost never make more than enough dough for three dough balls, but I could see how using cheap plastic scrapers for this purpose in a commercial setting might decrease efficiency. That's why I said I think metal would probably be best in this situation. But a knife is another option.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 12:19:55 PM »
Thanks to both of you. 

It's interesting, the price difference between plastic ones (<$1) vs the metal ones ($10+) is pretty significant...

Correction.  The metal ones are around $2.  For some reason, I remember it being $10+?  I was mistaken. 

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 12:39:45 PM »
2 bucks for a COMMERCIAL metal scraper???  Really??

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »
2 bucks for a COMMERCIAL metal scraper???  Really??

a good metal one is more than $2. I can't imagine them lasting long in a commercial setting.   I have the $12-17 dollar ones and they are over 5 years old and still going strong.  I have used them to pry things that I never should have used them for and they keep on ticking.  Like I said, they are like the duck tape of the dough field :)  Walter

PS:  Out of curiousity when I was in my place yesterday I checked the plastic and wood handled ones.  A couple of the wood ones are getting a little play in them.  The plastic are still solid but I think I bought the wood several years before the wood.  I think I will go plastic from now on.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:14:45 PM by waltertore »

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 03:01:16 PM »
I've got a pile of these;   http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_91&products_id=244 

They are listed as "Table Scrapers" I use them all over the restaurant for many different tasks,

To clean my granite stretching surface, to cut dough for scaling, to get dough balls out of the box, to scrape down my maple cutting board,
And their biggest use of all is for food handling, I use one of those, and a set of tongs to avoid bare hand contact with RTE foods. I hate gloves, I feel they cause more cross contamination problems than they prevent due to many people treating them as personal protection instead of their proposed use.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!