Author Topic: home oven bakes - what a diffence lighting makes  (Read 702 times)

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
home oven bakes - what a diffence lighting makes
« on: December 06, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
Today school was canceled and we had an order for a bunch of strombolis for the schools ROTC program.  I also had my sourdough starter out and recharged for today.  So I went in, the snow has yet to hit us much at all, and put the starter in the fridge and took a couple dough balls, some cheese, and a pizza peel.  We make a 20"ish pie but my home oven stone is 18" and our home peel about is about 16".  Anyway, I had to go to the vet and pick  up some pain pills for one of our dogs.  They sell our dog biscuits and I brought a pie along for them.  There was a woman there who just adopted a pound pup and we starterd talking (I talk to everybody :) ).  Turns out she is a regular traveler to NYC.  Her son goes to NYU.  She loves pizza so I gave her a slice which she went on and on about. She had no idea we about our business and was excited to buy some pizza, bread, and bagels from us. 

I love snow days.  Schools close, I get paid, and I set out on adventures in our village.  They always happen.  I guess the snow slows everyone down and leads to good conversations.  Then I went to soup loft which is owned and run by my friend.  He makes scratch  made soups, salads, breads.  We talked food for a good while and then walked across the street to the book store.  We make lemon cookies for the owner who sells them at the shop and online.  She is food nut and again I got to talk food for a good while. 

Now to these pizzas I made in the oven.........   They are a little thicker than normal due to the 18" stone size.  The thing that really got me was the pictures.  At work we have floresent lighting and at home regular screw in light bulbs.  The pies pictured here look way better than the pictures I take at work but these pies don't look near as good in the flesh as the work pies.  It goes to show how much a camera distorts reality.  These pies were good but the home oven heats unevenly.  More bottom that top.  I know about broiler use but I only make a few pies a year at home so am not into it.  Our oven is one of these new top of the line convection things and the fan extrudes from the real wall which makes the stone not fit.  So I have to go a rack lower (1 from the bottom).  I bet if I could raise it up to the third rack I would get an even pie.  Again, I use it so infrequently that I am not going to mess with it.  I am spoiled with my deck blodgett 1000 ovens.  I wish I could get pictures of this quality-realistic- at work.  All our tables are stainless and that makes a lot of weird reflections and with the florescent lights, you get a not true to reality picture of the pies, breads, bagels, we make.  It was fun to go around giving pizza away!  Walter

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: home oven bakes - what a diffence lighting makes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »
here are a couple pictures of work pies, that look much better in the flesh than the home pies I posted.  I have learned not to judge anyones pie on how it looks color wise.  Taste is the only real test.  Walter
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:55:32 PM by waltertore »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: home oven bakes - what a diffence lighting makes
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 04:36:08 PM »
You're gonna be getting the snow real soon. We have a few inches now.