Author Topic: Johnny's in Mount Vernon.  (Read 4508 times)

Offline pdog

Re: Johnny's in Mount Vernon.
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 04:58:36 PM »
Thank you for the kind words:

I agree Scott.  The bottom was cooking to fast. 

I throw the screen under the crust after the initial toss onto the steel (roughly 2 mins) and still the crust was too dark for my taste.

Next steps:

Ditch the tomatoes...... they were awful!!!!  To the point I thoroughly checked the can to be sure it was not punctured. 

Reduce temp to 525.

Have the Mozz cheese sliced half as thick.

I am also going to reduce the dbw by 30gs.  The cornice, I can not believe I am saying this, was to puffy, and had to much spring compared to Johnny's.  This could be due to the first stage with the rolling pin of their dough as reported by others. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:03:55 PM by pdog »

Offline pdog

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »
Pdog, that is a very respectable first attempt. One temperature tweak and you should be almost there.  What temp did you pre-heat your steel to?  Assuming Jeff's quoted 4:30 bake time is correct, then you should be shooting for 525 or maybe even 500.

Some reconnaissance will definitely help.

What does your keen eye tell you a thickness factor is for this pizza? I think .07 was close, and my handling skills somewhat messed it up.  I am curious to see what your thoughts are on the matter.

Next time I go I am going to get a large to go, and I am going to bring it home and take measurements and lots of pictures.

Offline pdog

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 06:38:41 PM »
Another attempt tonight.

I was fairly happy with the dough performance so I did not make any changes.

I did however reduce the dough balls to 380.  I also reduced the temp to 525. 

The pizza came out very thin for 16 inch pies.

Here are the results. 

Toppings: From bottom up;

Mozzarella sliced 1/8 of an inch
Provolone cheese sliced 1/8 of an inch
Tomato sauce 7/11  - I hit them with a stick blender to smooth them out
Romano cheese large grated
Pepper
Olive Oil

Picture of how I topped the pie. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 06:44:06 PM by pdog »

Offline pdog

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 06:39:33 PM »
The results. 

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 07:30:03 PM »
That looks very good. Did you use a rolling pin at all?
Il miglior fabbro

Offline pdog

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »
I did on the first one, but abandon beyond that....... It somehow changes the dough......

Here is the one I did with a rolling pin.  The dough was very dry.....  Probably due to the extra bench flour used to prevent the rolling pin from sticking. 

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 09:59:53 PM »
Some of the best NY style pies I made the past year,I didnt post it, was made with All trumps.I tried the unbleached/unbromated bag too,was still wonderful stuff.Here is a 5 lb version if you don't want to order a HUGE bag.

http://www.pennmac.com/items/3938//

As you found out,Having a large crumb is not necessary for a NY style pie,so don't aim for that.The pizza man doesn't,he wants to make the pie as fast as he can,and get you out the door.What happens is chance.Same ingredients,different end results occur.Maybe his phone rang and he took an order,leaving your pie to cook longer than he normally lets it cook.You then swear it the best pie you ever had,but it was by accident.Most go by eye,not time anyway,they look and say,Yeah that looks finished.

:pizza:

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »
NY style done without a rolling pin,cooked on the stone.4 minute bake time.If you see a screen,I cool my pizza off on them.The solid metal pans causes steam sog.I can leave my pizzas on the screen until tomorrow for lunch,and they will reheat up almost as good as when I took them out.Wont happen on a solid pan.

-Bill

Offline pdog

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »
Looks very good. 

I like the look of that cheese.  What brand are you using?

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »
Believe it or not,KRAFT sliced part skim mozz from the 8 oz slice package.What was not covered by the square slices,hand shredded kraft part skim mozz from the 8 ounce block went in between.

I wont use shredded from the bags,not from anyone.They always burn too easily.I thought the sliced mozz would,but it did not at my bake times.So reheat was amazing.

After I spent enough time on here and learned so much from everyone,I can make a nearly identical pie,even with certain cheeses now. At least to myself. I can often reheat my slices 10 hours later and they come out excellent for reheated.

Now back to Kraft,its an over priced store brand that you can find everywhere.Sadly,where I live in Ky,I cannot find very good cheese,like I could when I lived in NY years back. When my local store has a sale on the kraft packages,I make the best of it. I also do use walmarts GV whole milk cheese,polly o,if its on sale,and GFS marketplace loaf of nearly 8 lbs for 15 bucks and it freezes well for future use.

-Bill

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 01:44:50 PM »
what happened to this thread? I thought it was about Johnny's of Mount Vernon! I used to go there as a kid, I was born in Mt Vernon and my grandmother still lived there til about 12 years ago... it used to be "the place" to go for good pizza. since my grandmother moved up to Brewster, NY I havent been down that way. I remember it being real thin...

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 10:53:50 PM »
what happened to this thread? I thought it was about Johnny's of Mount Vernon! I used to go there as a kid, I was born in Mt Vernon and my grandmother still lived there til about 12 years ago... it used to be "the place" to go for good pizza. since my grandmother moved up to Brewster, NY I havent been down that way. I remember it being real thin...

And you brought nothing useful yourself about Johnny's to add to the topic...That said,how is your Grandmother doing?
-Bill

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
Bill,
My Grandmother used to make really good pizzas when she was still with us....but I can't remember what type of cheese she used.  :(
I do know that she never lived in Mount Vernon though.  ;)
 :-D   You are a riot sometimes dude!  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pdog

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »
Haha....... That was a good read......

I still have not gotten back to Johnny's like planned - Life happens.

I am going to give it another go this weekend to see what I can make up. 

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2014, 08:00:56 AM »
And you brought nothing useful yourself about Johnny's to add to the topic...That said,how is your Grandmother doing?

I was just trying to redirect the topic back to Johnny. granny passed last year just shy of turning 101. Thanks for asking, She loved Johnny's pizza. Figured I might be able to learn something on this topic but, I guess this thread is done.....moving along now.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »
Hmmm, maybe I need to jump in this thread and get some of the focus back. 

Pdog:  Does Johnny's use Mozz, Prov and Romano for sure?  Here a couple real nice pics of their pies.

Nate
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:37:37 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pdog

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 09:29:47 PM »
Wow do those look good!!

I could eat both of those right now.

I am not sure the exact blend.   They will not spill the beans on their formula.

I picked up some grande cheese today, and I am going to try to make a few more clones this weekend.

I'll post back some photos this weekend.   

Offline pdog

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2014, 03:57:26 PM »
So I gave Johnny's another go.

The Dough:

Flour - 100% - 971.68 G - Full Strength Bromated
Water - 59% - 570.28 G - Bottled
Oil - 2.05% - 20.07 G - Vegetable Oil
Salt - 1.5% 17,13 G - Mortons Kosher
Sugar - 2.76% 27.02 G - Domino (I know Scott123 on the high side haha)
preferment - 1.5% (very active)

I pour the water into the mixing bowl, and add the preferment, oil, salt, and sugar and mix with wire whisk.  I mix until all of the ingredients are liquefied and aerated. 

I then add half the flour and mix on the lowest setting (kitchen aid c hook) for 4 minutes.

I then add a quarter more flour and mix an additional 4 minutes, and then I in corporate the remaining flour for an additional 4 minutes. 

I dumped onto the counter, and rested 10 minutes.  I then complete 2 stretch and folds.  Another 10 minute rest, and 2 more stretch and folds.

I then moved to a bowl, and cover for 18 hrs.  After the 18 hrs, I balled the dough, and left in containers to rest and rise for an additional 7 hours.

The Sauce:

7/11s number 10 can with sugar and salt to taste.  I stick blended until the sauce was smooth in consistency.

The bake:

I heated the oven to 550 with 1/2 inch still for 2.5 hours prior to baking.   

2 minutes directly on stone, 2.5 more with screen under dough to prevent excess char.  This is how Johnny's does the pizza as well. 

Results, and staging pictures:

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2014, 08:11:34 PM »
looks good pdog.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline CIZ28

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »
When I went to this place I noticed that they like running the ovens, which seemed to be somewhat newer style Bakers Pride's with cordierite slabs, not firebrick, at around 600 degrees. The pizza bakes in about 6-7 minutes and I saw no screen used, but if so, it's probably just because during slower times the pizza will get too dark on bottom. When it's busy and the oven is trying to recover this is often not necessary. Having sugar in the dough can also cause this, (and oil to a lesser extent) but I just think it's the high heat that they prefer in this case. It seemed like a lean dough to me.

It was some of the best pizza I ever had out. Crispy and nice flavors. It was a little on the thin and chewy side though. I didn't find anyone rude either. Yes, I was at the right place!
"If it's not well done, it ain't done well."