Author Topic: The Chadwick Oven from UK for gas fired range hobs.  (Read 4715 times)

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Chadwick Oven from UK for gas fired range hobs.
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2013, 03:39:39 PM »
Mmmmmm.....Naan bread....now there's a thought!

I have put my Weber charcoal pizza oven away for the winter and have moved over to the Efeuno P134H while it's dark and cold outside! I was thinking about baking bread in it, but I think it's too low for a good sized boule.

I have made pittas in it with superb results, but haven't tried naan bread....yet.

Garlic, chilli, cheese naan. Mmmmmmm....

Offline Riccardo39

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2014, 04:52:03 AM »
I've just stumbled across this thread, and as a Chadwick user in the UK, I feel obliged to reply!

First of all, it's true that Britain lacks a pizza tradition like the US. It's also true that there is a lot of dreadful pizza available in the UK, typically coming from fast food outlets that also do kebabs and burgers and cater mainly for drunken teenagers. That said, good pizza from small, artisan pizzerias can be had in any major city in the UK. And we probably visit Italy more often than Americans do, and get to sample the originals. I notice this forum is obsessed with Neapolitan pizza; I prefer the Roman variety, which is much thinner and sparingly topped with just tomato (rosso), or oil and salt (bianco), or courgette flowers and mozzarella. You almost never see meat on it. Three million Romans would agree with me that it's better than the puffy version of pizza in Naples. Though, to be clear, I love both.

As for the Chadwick, I think the doubts expressed above are spot on. It doesn't cook pizza evenly and doesn't reach the temperatures claimed for it. It is overpriced. However, it's better than cooking in a domestic oven, and given the climate here in Britain, outdoor ovens are not much of an option.

Two questions based on the discussion above: 1) what's the difference between a NY-style pizza and a Neapolitan? 2) where can you buy a Blackstone in Europe?

Offline Montyzumo

• I'm here for Pizza
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2014, 05:24:42 PM »
I was Googling Chadwick Oven and came across this thread. I was hoping to find out how others are finding the oven. I have been using my Chadwick (yes they cost a lot  :() for about a year.

My own experience is only compared to a pizza stone in my fan assisted oven. Overall I've been really pleased with it. There are one or two gripes that I have, but generally I am getting superior results to the conventional oven. I will pick up the courage to post some photos in the future so you can judge

Our pizzas don't get topped very heavily, and with using a 5 minute cook with one rotation I am getting good results (or should I say better than our oven). It is bloody expensive, however we no longer eat at any of our local pizza places. I bought it based on what I knew was available in the UK at the time. No regrets so far, but now reading this site I'm longing for the stuff available in the US.

One of the criticisms was the limited size of the pizza. That is what I'm used to in most UK and Italian joints. I see where many are coming from. I devoured my huge NY pizza at Lombardi's and was set to return the next day. Superb.

Offline Montyzumo

• I'm here for Pizza
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »
I am sticking a link to my first attempt at a hand stretched dough on the Chadwick as there aren't many photos around. I'll try to get some more photos this week.

This is based on a NY dough. I heated the oven for about 15 mins, and baked for 4.5 mins.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32329.0