Author Topic: Scorched Earth Pizza Oven  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Adam T

Re: Scorched Earth Pizza Oven
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2014, 01:26:24 PM »
I think the best answers might be to just simply copy specs from the BS oven Adam. The oven is a proven winner so why not? You definitely won't need that 7ga. platter for one thing $.
Just let us know...I'd be glad to go out back with a tape measure and get you some numbers.

Bob

Sure, that would be great, I've been curious as to how the BS is set up. I went to the Cabela's in town looking to see a BS put together in the showroom, they don't have one set up  :(

You think I should go with a thinner platter thickness?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »
Sure, that would be great, I've been curious as to how the BS is set up. I went to the Cabela's in town looking to see a BS put together in the showroom, they don't have one set up  :(

You think I should go with a thinner platter thickness?
Take a look around in the BS threads and you can see that the design is quite similar to yours....main difference being your burner located in the rear versus side mount.

The reason I say thinner platter is because if you are switching over to a different bottom stone, one being more like that in the BS then it only seems logical to go with platter thickness same as BS....we all know that works, right?  ;)

With the fab and welding work you've shown you should be able to copy a BS easy...it's a pretty clean, basic design. Probably even be able to make it better.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:44:00 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Adam T

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2014, 03:07:55 PM »
Take a look around in the BS threads and you can see that the design is quite similar to yours....main difference being your burner located in the rear versus side mount.

The reason I say thinner platter is because if you are switching over to a different bottom stone, one being more like that in the BS then it only seems logical to go with platter thickness same as BS....we all know that works, right?  ;)

Right, I don't want the platter to thick that it slows down heat transfer more than it needs to. It does need to be thick enough to not warp. If you let me know how thick you think the BS platter is (if you get a chance sometime) and that will give me a good comparison to consider.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »
Adam,   CB has listed the platter thickness in the BS page - IIRC 1/4 inch.  For your use, I would think you could get by with something in the order of 1/8 inch,  there is not a  lot of load that needs to be supported, and it will be easier to weld the drive rod to it.  Think about how thin your pizza pans are, and if you stacked one on a top of quarters ( simulating the drive rod ) and loaded a pizza, the pan wouldn't bend or droop appreciably.  If you read the first pages of the BS thread, one problem was one or two users turned it on to heat up, and came back a short time later and they had melted - burned the platter because they had not turned on the motor for the rotiss.   At first I found it hard to believe, but then if you think about it, it is just a big propane torch in a small space - it will definitely take most metals and get them more than red hot pretty quick.  So my guess is they made it that thick to keep from that from being a major problem.  Many of us do not use the metal platter to distribute the heat, since we put spacers so the heat is distributed by air, not contact with the metal platter.   
In terms of height, pretty easy - cut up some cardboard boxes to different sizes and try loading and unloading pizza - and use  a size you feel comfortable with.  I use a super peel which makes it extremely easy even with very little clearance -  and I had a prior electric oven that I modified and ended up with maybe 2 inches of space between the bottom stone and the top element.  My current electric oven has about 3 1/4 inches ( though I don't use it since I have the BS )  Definitely the higher it is, the easier it feels to launch it, so I would err on going a little higher than you absolutely need to avoid any stress.  Also, the higher the opening, the deeper you can see into the oven to see if there is any burning cheese.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2014, 09:33:47 PM »
Good point about the spacers Barry.
Yes, I reported that the Platter is 3ga. and Adam was thinking of going with 7ga.   You are correct in that it is not a matter of supporting weight/a heavy load. I am just thinking about conductivity to simulate the BS bake so your recommendation of using 1/8in. would probably be perfect for simulating a BS set-up that uses spacers. With that(1/8in.), Adam would not need the spacers.

Bob

Offline Adam T

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »
The weather is (was) getting warmer. It's time to start pizza making again.  :D

I'm making the revised oven design. Most of the steel was just cut on a CNC plasma cutter.
Next up is forming the pieces, a little processing, and then welding.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2014, 08:22:20 AM »
Most of the steel was just cut on a CNC plasma cutter.
Next up is forming the pieces, a little processing, and then welding.

Picture of a couple parts coming off the plasma table. The round one is the stone platter. The other is the ceiling above the cooking chamber.

And just for fun the other photo is a picture of the plasma cutter in action.

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »
Looking forward to seeing your updated design... When do expect to be ready for first fire?
Josh

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2014, 11:21:51 AM »
Hmm thanks for the input guys, I'll have to think about making it bigger. This oven is being designed exclusively for me, no plans to market this. If it works out for me a coworker might make one of his own. If someone really really really liked the design and wanted a 20" deck I could probably be convinced to fabricate one for them. Between shipping and steel costs it wouldn't be dirt cheap though.

What!?  But what about all your buddies on pm.com?  We need an oven like this too! 

Seriously I really think you are onto a great design with this prototype. It looks better that the Blackstone to me due to the movable burner and ability to direct heat top and bottom.  What temperatures are you achieving with this thing at present? 

Offline Adam T

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »
Looking forward to seeing your updated design... When do expect to be ready for first fire?

It will be a little while before I first fire it up. I still need to order the stone and the rotisserie motor. This is a break-time project, so the construction will be a slow pace too. I'm really hoping to eat some pies from this oven later this spring.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2014, 11:50:18 AM »
What!?  But what about all your buddies on pm.com?  We need an oven like this too! 

Seriously I really think you are onto a great design with this prototype. It looks better that the Blackstone to me due to the movable burner and ability to direct heat top and bottom.  What temperatures are you achieving with this thing at present?

The sheet steel is costing me about $70 ($0.53 /lb). I'll have maybe about $90 total in steel cost. Add another $60 for the stone and rotisserie motor, and this should cost me ~$150 (I already had the burner). Oh, and making pizza for the guys who helped me make the oven.  :)

With the prototype oven I was heating a 1" Corderite stone to at least 800*-850*. With a stone that didn't rotate the heat was pretty uneven and difficult to get a good consistent temperature reading.
My burner is pretty much the same burner as in a Blackstone (I think). I was pretty proud of my rocket oven before I realized the Blackstone was the hot new thing and it had just as much power as my oven.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2014, 07:26:53 AM »
Adam, looking forward to seeing your pies.  I wonder why you are going for 1 inch stone for the deck.  I have used a Bakers Pride electric oven, and used the thick corderite stones to store heat from the weak electric elements, but with the gas burner you have, adding thermal mass shouldn't be an issue.  IMHO, you could easily get by with a 1/2 inch or less.  If you went very thin, say a 1/4 inch, you may have some problems with the heat staying just under the burner and not migrating to the center of the stone, but on the BS, which uses a pretty thin stone, they don't have that problem at all.  Might save you some weight and money to go with a thinner stone, plus, it will get to temp quicker. 

Offline Adam T

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »
Adam, looking forward to seeing your pies.  I wonder why you are going for 1 inch stone for the deck.  I have used a Bakers Pride electric oven, and used the thick corderite stones to store heat from the weak electric elements, but with the gas burner you have, adding thermal mass shouldn't be an issue.  IMHO, you could easily get by with a 1/2 inch or less.  If you went very thin, say a 1/4 inch, you may have some problems with the heat staying just under the burner and not migrating to the center of the stone, but on the BS, which uses a pretty thin stone, they don't have that problem at all.  Might save you some weight and money to go with a thinner stone, plus, it will get to temp quicker.

Thanks Barry. I have a couple of things going... my prototype used a 1" stone, it took 30 to 45 minutes to heat up. That is longer than I want to take to heat up. I'm doing what you suggest for the oven I'm building right now, I'm using a stone like the Blackstone's stone. This should save some time to heat up. As a matter of fact I JUST ordered the stone 5 minutes ago.  :)

Now I need to order a rotisserie motor and a good metal peel.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »
Barry & Adam - you can buy a really nice 1/4" cordierite baking stone at Target for $20ish.  Many people tried that on the Little Black Egg.  They all broke.  It took me two stones to prove that the EggHeads were smarter than me. If you want some 1/4 pieces, let me know. :-D  Otherwise, in cordierite, the present BS thickness is the minimum, AFIK.  Or, you could try to prove me wrong....
Dave

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »
Adam,  after I posted, I thought about it some more, and you absolutely need a 1 inch corderiete stone or you oven WILL NOT WORK AT ALL.  This may seem like a total coincidence, but I have a left over 1 inch stone in my garage that will fit your oven that is priced to move.   Just kidding of course,  I bought a 1 inch stone when I had a Bakers Pride -  the main benefit was when you opened the door, while it let out some of the hot air, having a 1 inch stone meant that I had a large thermal mass, and opening the door did not cool down the oven all that much.  With a thin 1/4 stone, there would be more air leaving the oven.   With the BS, and your oven, you have such a high heat input, you don't even need a closed door, much less the large thermal mass of a 1 inch stone.  I agree with Dave that you don't want those thin cheap ceramic stones, but anything thicker will work fine.     

Offline Adam T

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »
The stone I ordered is 16.5" x about 1/2" thick.

I ordered the PayandPack universal rotisserie motor.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP1KT1I/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Here is a photo of the oven steel ready to be formed.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2014, 04:02:42 PM »
The stone arrived in one piece  :D and the rotisserie motor shipped from Amazon today

I'm still waiting on my volunteer labor to form the rest of the steel. I did make a little progress, I was able to mill a keyway in the shaft today.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
Slot looks great.  Keep us posted.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »
The frame of the oven lower section is tacked together ready to be fully welded.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
How much is this going to weigh Adam? That pic makes it look much bigger than what I thought you were doing.....what diameter is that platter?

CB

pizzapan