Author Topic: Scorched Earth Pizza Oven  (Read 9357 times)

Offline Adam T

Re: Scorched Earth Pizza Oven
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2014, 11:50:18 AM »
What!?  But what about all your buddies on pm.com?  We need an oven like this too! 

Seriously I really think you are onto a great design with this prototype. It looks better that the Blackstone to me due to the movable burner and ability to direct heat top and bottom.  What temperatures are you achieving with this thing at present?

The sheet steel is costing me about $70 ($0.53 /lb). I'll have maybe about $90 total in steel cost. Add another $60 for the stone and rotisserie motor, and this should cost me ~$150 (I already had the burner). Oh, and making pizza for the guys who helped me make the oven.  :)

With the prototype oven I was heating a 1" Corderite stone to at least 800*-850*. With a stone that didn't rotate the heat was pretty uneven and difficult to get a good consistent temperature reading.
My burner is pretty much the same burner as in a Blackstone (I think). I was pretty proud of my rocket oven before I realized the Blackstone was the hot new thing and it had just as much power as my oven.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2014, 07:26:53 AM »
Adam, looking forward to seeing your pies.  I wonder why you are going for 1 inch stone for the deck.  I have used a Bakers Pride electric oven, and used the thick corderite stones to store heat from the weak electric elements, but with the gas burner you have, adding thermal mass shouldn't be an issue.  IMHO, you could easily get by with a 1/2 inch or less.  If you went very thin, say a 1/4 inch, you may have some problems with the heat staying just under the burner and not migrating to the center of the stone, but on the BS, which uses a pretty thin stone, they don't have that problem at all.  Might save you some weight and money to go with a thinner stone, plus, it will get to temp quicker. 

Offline Adam T

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »
Adam, looking forward to seeing your pies.  I wonder why you are going for 1 inch stone for the deck.  I have used a Bakers Pride electric oven, and used the thick corderite stones to store heat from the weak electric elements, but with the gas burner you have, adding thermal mass shouldn't be an issue.  IMHO, you could easily get by with a 1/2 inch or less.  If you went very thin, say a 1/4 inch, you may have some problems with the heat staying just under the burner and not migrating to the center of the stone, but on the BS, which uses a pretty thin stone, they don't have that problem at all.  Might save you some weight and money to go with a thinner stone, plus, it will get to temp quicker.

Thanks Barry. I have a couple of things going... my prototype used a 1" stone, it took 30 to 45 minutes to heat up. That is longer than I want to take to heat up. I'm doing what you suggest for the oven I'm building right now, I'm using a stone like the Blackstone's stone. This should save some time to heat up. As a matter of fact I JUST ordered the stone 5 minutes ago.  :)

Now I need to order a rotisserie motor and a good metal peel.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »
Barry & Adam - you can buy a really nice 1/4" cordierite baking stone at Target for $20ish.  Many people tried that on the Little Black Egg.  They all broke.  It took me two stones to prove that the EggHeads were smarter than me. If you want some 1/4 pieces, let me know. :-D  Otherwise, in cordierite, the present BS thickness is the minimum, AFIK.  Or, you could try to prove me wrong....
Dave

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »
Adam,  after I posted, I thought about it some more, and you absolutely need a 1 inch corderiete stone or you oven WILL NOT WORK AT ALL.  This may seem like a total coincidence, but I have a left over 1 inch stone in my garage that will fit your oven that is priced to move.   Just kidding of course,  I bought a 1 inch stone when I had a Bakers Pride -  the main benefit was when you opened the door, while it let out some of the hot air, having a 1 inch stone meant that I had a large thermal mass, and opening the door did not cool down the oven all that much.  With a thin 1/4 stone, there would be more air leaving the oven.   With the BS, and your oven, you have such a high heat input, you don't even need a closed door, much less the large thermal mass of a 1 inch stone.  I agree with Dave that you don't want those thin cheap ceramic stones, but anything thicker will work fine.     

Offline Adam T

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »
The stone I ordered is 16.5" x about 1/2" thick.

I ordered the PayandPack universal rotisserie motor.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP1KT1I/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Here is a photo of the oven steel ready to be formed.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2014, 04:02:42 PM »
The stone arrived in one piece  :D and the rotisserie motor shipped from Amazon today

I'm still waiting on my volunteer labor to form the rest of the steel. I did make a little progress, I was able to mill a keyway in the shaft today.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
Slot looks great.  Keep us posted.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »
The frame of the oven lower section is tacked together ready to be fully welded.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
How much is this going to weigh Adam? That pic makes it look much bigger than what I thought you were doing.....what diameter is that platter?

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Adam T

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2014, 10:49:29 PM »
How much is this going to weigh Adam? That pic makes it look much bigger than what I thought you were doing.....what diameter is that platter?

CB

It will weigh around 100 - 110 pounds when it's complete. The platter's diameter is 16.5", that is a 1" shaft in the middle.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:36:14 AM by Adam T »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »
It will weigh around 100 - 110 pounds when it's complete. The platter's diameter is 16.5", that is a 1" shaft in the middle.
What a trip!  :-D  That photo is a bit of an optical illusion if one doesn't realize the oven is being assembled up on a table. I was looking at it as if that table top was a steel plate laying on the floor....makes that clamp bar then seem about 5ft. long.  :o

CB

Offline Adam T

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »
What a trip!  :-D  That photo is a bit of an optical illusion if one doesn't realize the oven is being assembled up on a table. I was looking at it as if that table top was a steel plate laying on the floor....makes that clamp bar then seem about 5ft. long.  :o

CB

;D I see what you mean. I was pretty close with the camera so the picture is a bit distorted too. I like the way you think though, a 30" rotating deck with dual burners would be pretty cool! I'd hate to see how much propane you would go through with two burners blasting away :o
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:33:03 AM by Adam T »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2014, 01:49:29 PM »

CB
I still don't believe Adam.  Look at this picture.  The only difference is a touch of paint and the Dilithium Crystals are installed. :-D  It may be a Klingon design
Dave

Offline Adam T

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2014, 03:21:10 PM »
I still don't believe Adam.  Look at this picture.  The only difference is a touch of paint and the Dilithium Crystals are installed. :-D  It may be a Klingon design
Dave

Best Dilithium Crystal powered pizza oven ever!

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »
my experience as a sheet metal workers leads me to believe you are building some form of tank, lol.  No corners cut on this thing.

For the 30" one you simply scrap the propane and put in waste oil burners and become good friends with a guy who has a big deep fryer.
-Jeff

Offline Adam T

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »
my experience as a sheet metal workers leads me to believe you are building some form of tank, lol.  No corners cut on this thing.

For the 30" one you simply scrap the propane and put in waste oil burners and become good friends with a guy who has a big deep fryer.

Yes!  ;D

Now I need a picture with the burner in to give some perspective.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »

Most of the sheet metal is 10ga. (.1345") with some 12ga. (.1046") used on a few pieces.

I might need to find another volunteer press brake operator if he takes any longer before forming the rest of the parts.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »
Getting close to finishing the new oven.
Slow going I know, but you can only do so much work during a 15 minute break time.

I reconstituted my dried sourdough starter last night. Now I need to find some 00 flour. Maybe I'll get some Caputo from Amazon or look for a distributor in West Michigan.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »
Looking good..... 8)

CB

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
Looks great so far. Can't wait to see it in action.  Are you going to throw a pizza party at work? 

Offline Adam T

« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
Are you going to throw a pizza party at work?

Yes. I would be lynched if I didn't make them pizza when I'm done with the oven. They keep asking, "800*?! Pizza gets done in less than 2 minutes?! Really?!"

I'm going to take it home and figure out the oven and the dough to go with it before making pizza for the guys at work.

Offline JD

« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
Looks great so far. Can't wait to see it in action. 

+1

Gotta love your initiative & follow through

Offline Adam T

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »
I went back and found my original build thread for the prototype oven...
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14782.msg149555#msg149555
The first pizzas looked more like a New Haven style with the blackened crust.

This oven process started back in July of 2011! I'm close to having the rotating stone I've always wanted since somebody put little roller bearings on the grill grate in their LBE. (Who was that?  ??? )

The starter I was reconstituting got cooked yesterday. The kitchen's room temperature was 68* so I put the bowl in the oven with the light on. My wife preheated the oven to bake a birthday cake and the starter was still in the oven. Oh well, started the culture again last night, only one day lost. Now to get melted plastic wrap off the glass bowl.  :(

Offline Adam T

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2014, 03:51:58 PM »
The oven is ready for the testing phase.  :pizza:  :chef:

pizzapan