Author Topic: Scorched Earth Pizza Oven  (Read 5595 times)

Offline Adam T

Scorched Earth Pizza Oven
« on: December 06, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »
The oven is up and running and can make pretty short work of anything that gets in it's way  :-D

1" cordierite stone, a movable burner that blows like a jet engine, and a heat chute that brings a ton of heat to the top of the pizza.

It seems to be cooking best with a stone temp that is about 650. If the temp is 750+ it's burn baby burn!

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Scorched Earth Pizza Oven
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »
Nice looking oven.  Some of the high gas powered ovens like the BS appear to be using a stone other than cordierite.  As you saw, the cordierite transfers heat very efficiently, and can lead to a burned bottom of the crust very quickly.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 10:06:45 AM »
When I was using my BBQ mod (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9614.0) I liked the deck about 750-775F. My burn baby burn point was closer to 850F. I used a Fibrament grill stone on the aluminum pan they provide.  Cordierite is about 4.3X as conductive as Fibrament: 3 W/(mK)  vs. 0.7 w/(mK).

I though your pie looked really good. With a legitimate round-head turning peel, it looks like it would probably be a fairly simple matter to control the bottom browning and get a great pie from your oven.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mp233069

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »
Looks great, love your oven did you make it yourself? I agree, with the correct peel you can have better control of the process. In my sage oven, I sometimes lift the pie off the stone and just cook it with the top coil if the bottom gets cooked too fast.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »
Thanks, I did make it myself, it's a work in progress. At some point I'll post some pictures to show how everything is arranged. It's really easy to control top vs. bottom heat with this set up.

Looks great, love your oven did you make it yourself? I agree, with the correct peel you can have better control of the process. In my sage oven, I sometimes lift the pie off the stone and just cook it with the top coil if the bottom gets cooked too fast.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 01:31:36 PM »
Yes, definitely need some good peels. Turning the oven down to about 650F got a nice bottom. I was trying to use the TXCraig1 process and recipe. I did use a 25/75% BF/00 flour mix. Thanks for all the info in the neapolitan forum! It's really a great resource.

Here are a couple of pics from the pies I made the other night. The battery ran dead on the camera so I didn't get the video when they were cooking. I have to say the crispy crust with a puffy inside was fantastic! Can't wait to try it again and streamline the process a little.

When I was using my BBQ mod (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9614.0) I liked the deck about 750-775F. My burn baby burn point was closer to 850F. I used a Fibrament grill stone on the aluminum pan they provide.  Cordierite is about 4.3X as conductive as Fibrament: 3 W/(mK)  vs. 0.7 w/(mK).

I though your pie looked really good. With a legitimate round-head turning peel, it looks like it would probably be a fairly simple matter to control the bottom browning and get a great pie from your oven.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 11:40:35 AM »
My burn baby burn point was closer to 850F.

;D I like this.

This oven set up that I have has always been a prototype. Now that I see it can be successful I'm finishing the designs for the real pizza oven. If I can work it right this thing will be pretty sweet, fully adjustable for maximum control. For making bread I'm planning on having a ceiling height that is adjustable up to 8" and a a place to introduce steam.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 10:23:59 AM »
This oven has always been a prototype, a proof of concept. I'm designing the real oven now.

Here is a video to show how the prototype oven is constructed. What makes this one different than other ovens is the movable burner and the chimney/chute that directs the heat to the top of the pizza.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 02:46:46 PM »
This oven has always been a prototype, a proof of concept. I'm designing the real oven now.

Here is a video to show how the prototype oven is constructed. What makes this one different than other ovens is the movable burner and the chimney/chute that directs the heat to the top of the pizza.

Adam,
I love the initiative and innovation.  Good for you.  Great job on the burner slide as well.  If you have a photo/vid of that please share.  Another forum innovator about a year ago moved the steel backing plate (almost like a butterfly valve) to redirect the heat, but you move the burner (which is new to me).  I'm curious what you use for a gas line given the motion in a (ahem) warm environment.

On a humorous note, PizzaMaking.com has a select group of forum idiots that pride ourselves on working gloveless near a roaring blowtorch.  You may be the de facto club president since I wore gloves yesterday.
Dave

Offline Adam T

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
On a humorous note, PizzaMaking.com has a select group of forum idiots that pride ourselves on working gloveless near a roaring blowtorch.  You may be the de facto club president since I wore gloves yesterday.
Dave

Heh. It's easier to take care of unwanted hand/finger hair. All the other methods for hair removal are so tedious, burning propane works so much faster.

I'll get a pic of the burner mount and post it.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »
Pretty slick Adam and your pies look great!  :chef:
Maybe you could "hinge" that upper cover for ease of operation; or do you plan on just making it all one piece?.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Adam T

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 04:53:23 PM »
Pretty slick Adam and your pies look great!  :chef:
Maybe you could "hinge" that upper cover for ease of operation; or do you plan on just making it all one piece?.

I'm starting from scratch on the new design so the concept will be the same with a movable burner and a chimney to divert the heat. I'll be purchasing a new stone that is thinner than the one I have now so I can shorten heat up times. I'll be adding a rotisserie motor too. The oven will get a new sheet metal upper and lower housing. I'm planning on making it so the ceiling height can slide up to make room for baking bread when I want to. The plan is to add a way to introduce steam for bread baking also.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »
I'm starting from scratch on the new design so the concept will be the same with a movable burner and a chimney to divert the heat. I'll be purchasing a new stone that is thinner than the one I have now so I can shorten heat up times. I'll be adding a rotisserie motor too. The oven will get a new sheet metal upper and lower housing. I'm planning on making it so the ceiling height can slide up to make room for baking bread when I want to. The plan is to add a way to introduce steam for bread baking also.
Quite ambitious Adam...I wish you well with your great lil oven man.  :chef:

Offline Adam T

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 05:03:47 PM »
Here is the current movable burner. The burner is mounted in a fixture that pivots. The hose to the burner is just the flex hose that came with the burner. The hose is out of the heat and pivots only about 20* to 30*.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »
Quite ambitious Adam...I wish you well with your great lil oven man.  :chef:

Thanks. If I can I'll post the design of the new oven for the forum's comments before I make the oven.
I need to finish the design and make a price breakdown, the cost is going to need to come in lower than the pre-made ovens out there if I'm going to make it myself.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:11:11 PM by Adam T »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »
Thanks. If I can I'll post the design of the new oven for the forum's comments before I make the oven.
I need to finish the design and make a price breakdown, the cost is going to need to come in lower than the pre-made ovens out there if I'm going to make it myself.
Yes, please do keep us posted on the design.
That would be awesome if you can do the build in house....a few fixtures, sweet Millermatic w/ nice lil spool gun attachment and go to town.  :)   Sourcing your cut and bent materials should be cheap enough I would think though I have no idea how cheap that stuff goes for overseas. "Made in America" would be nice though.  ;)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 05:39:26 PM »
Here is the current movable burner. The burner is mounted in a fixture that pivots. The hose to the burner is just the flex hose that came with the burner. The hose is out of the heat and pivots only about 20* to 30*.
Thanks Adam for the quick post.  Simple and functional, I like that.
Dave

Offline Adam T

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 06:03:31 PM »
Sourcing your cut and bent materials should be cheap enough
I work at a company that designs and fabricates custom material handling equipment (conveyors). I can purchase the steel for what the company pays. I might get all the sheet metal parts cut at a company that does laser cutting, they get a good deal on certain steel sizes and can almost provide the steel and cut the parts for the same price as what I can purchase the steel for. Labor might cost me a dozen donuts or a pizza lunch when I'm finished.  ;D

Offline Adam T

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »
Here is a video of the new oven design.
If there is a feature I didn't include that you think I should add let me know.

Scorched Earth Pizza Oven [Revision A]

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »
20 inch deck