Author Topic: Question about my starter  (Read 454 times)

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
Question about my starter
« on: December 10, 2013, 09:29:54 AM »
I recently started a starter. Going on six days. 50%water,25% all purpose flour, and 25% rye flour.
My house temp is 64-66 degrees. The instructions state feed every 12hrs. However, my starter doesn't seem ready to feed that often. So I have been doing more like every 24hrs.

What do you think?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Question about my starter
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 09:49:44 AM »
I recently started a starter. Going on six days. 50%water,25% all purpose flour, and 25% rye flour.
My house temp is 64-66 degrees. The instructions state feed every 12hrs. However, my starter doesn't seem ready to feed that often. So I have been doing more like every 24hrs.

What do you think?

Your room temp is too low.  Turn on your oven light and redo it in there and or set up a light box where the temp is close to 80 degrees.  I would check this link and follow the recipe.  It is pretty foolproof.  I have a starter going on 7 years that is great in sour :)

http://sourdoughhome.com/index.php?content=professorcalvelsstarter

Offline sonny.eymann

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »
I have had sour dough starter for many years but recently started a new one in Panama.
50% to 50% works well once started but during start I like to use 60% water and 40% flour  then after a good start feed 50% to 50%.

flour is very important.  unbleached and un enriched is a must.  The spores you are trying to cultivate is naturally occurring on both flours but much higher on  rye flour but once started will continue well with white flour as long as unbleached and un enriched.

Water is very important no iron and no chlorine use bottled water but over the years I occasionally get bad bottled water it does not kill but the starter does not work well. You can use tap water if no iron by letting it sit 2 days before use. There are 2 spore you are trying to start and the one that is most sour does best at around 55 and the other is more active 20 degrees higher. sour dough bread is often cold fermented and rises done at 55 to 60. that produce good sour dough bread but the time for total proofs is 3 or 4 days.

you should see activity even at the temperature you are at in a day or 2 at the most. if not something is wrong
feeding time is not that critical but when you see activity it is time to feed in the 6 hour or less but if you don't it will take long to get a good starter.
if you do feed regularly you should have a good starter in about 5 days.

One thing that the experts say that i don't do is to feed the starter before uses. My opinion is when you take starter and add flour to make bread or pizza dough that is what you are doing.

today I am keeping my starter at my refrigerator temperature but in the past I had a special refrigerator at 55 deg. that produces the best sour dough

Sonny

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 07:13:38 PM »
Well I continued to feed it every 24hrs and it was responding. I then put it in oven with the light on and it really took off and then i fed every 12hrs. I made my first levain today. I will bake tomorrow.  I will report back.

pizzapan