Author Topic: First thin crust!!  (Read 815 times)

Offline rdnkpizza

• I Love Pizza!
First thin crust!!
« on: December 18, 2013, 11:02:52 PM »
Amazon delivered our BS oven today and my lovely wife assembled it before I got home from work.  I had prepared dough and sauce last night hoping to get a chance to fire it up tonight (used dough and sauce recipe from recipe section....thanks!!).  I got the stone in the 550-600 degree range...or so I thought.  I ended up getting so excited I last track of the IR thermometer and I made a couple of adjustments during the cook, so I'm not sure of the actual stone temp.  I also forgot to take the dough out of the fridge earlier so it was still pretty cool to the touch....definitely not room temp.

We cooked 4 twelve inch (approx) pies.  Attached is a photo of the first one.  I'm left handed, so that was as round as I could get it.  It was a feeding frenzy after that and we had no interest in taking pictures.  I also caught one of them on fire, but blew it out quickly and saved all but a few inches of crust.

We were disappointed the pies were not crisp through the center.  I'm sure much of that was the amount of sauce I used, next cook will be less.  The average cook time was 3 minutes.  I pre baked one of them for a few minutes and I think it turned out best.  Half the family likes char,  half does not so we will have to get it dialed in.  I have cooked good pizza in a Bubba Keg and these were as good or better.

Overall, I could not be happier with the results.  We will improve but we're off to a solid start.  My brother and his family will be visiting over the holidays so the BS is sure to used early and often.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: First thin crust!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
Amazon delivered our BS oven today and my lovely wife assembled it before I got home from work.  I had prepared dough and sauce last night hoping to get a chance to fire it up tonight (used dough and sauce recipe from recipe section....thanks!!).  I got the stone in the 550-600 degree range...or so I thought.  I ended up getting so excited I last track of the IR thermometer and I made a couple of adjustments during the cook, so I'm not sure of the actual stone temp.  I also forgot to take the dough out of the fridge earlier so it was still pretty cool to the touch....definitely not room temp.

We cooked 4 twelve inch (approx) pies.  Attached is a photo of the first one.  I'm left handed, so that was as round as I could get it.  It was a feeding frenzy after that and we had no interest in taking pictures.  I also caught one of them on fire, but blew it out quickly and saved all but a few inches of crust.

We were disappointed the pies were not crisp through the center.  I'm sure much of that was the amount of sauce I used, next cook will be less.  The average cook time was 3 minutes. I pre baked one of them for a few minutes and I think it turned out best. Half the family likes char,  half does not so we will have to get it dialed in.  I have cooked good pizza in a Bubba Keg and these were as good or better.

Overall, I could not be happier with the results.  We will improve but we're off to a solid start.  My brother and his family will be visiting over the holidays so the BS is sure to used early and often.
Looks great!  :chef:
Would you please describe exactly what you did to "pre baked one of them".
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline rdnkpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »
The photo is not the "pre baked".  For the pre bake I rolled out the dough and cooked it without sauce/cheese/toppings for a couple of minutes.  Then I removed it from the oven, gave it the sauce and toppings then back in the oven for a couple more minutes to finish. 

One thing I did which I had never done before, was to put raw sausage on a pie and have it cook on the pizza in the oven.  I was surprised how well it worked.  Will definitely be doing this again.

I have enough dough for a couple more pizzas.  Round 2 may be tonight....with a few (several) adjustments

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »
The photo is not the "pre baked".  For the pre bake I rolled out the dough and cooked it without sauce/cheese/toppings for a couple of minutes.  Then I removed it from the oven, gave it the sauce and toppings then back in the oven for a couple more minutes to finish. 

One thing I did which I had never done before, was to put raw sausage on a pie and have it cook on the pizza in the oven.  I was surprised how well it worked.  Will definitely be doing this again.

I have enough dough for a couple more pizzas.  Round 2 may be tonight....with a few (several) adjustments
Thanks.
Applying sausage raw is the only way to go in my book....unless you're using something like that "pork topping crumbles" stuff(it's already pre-cooked)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 04:12:39 PM »
I'm left handed, so that was as round as I could get it. 

I am glad you got your new oven. Excuse my ignorance but I don't understand your left handed statement?
Please induge my curiosity.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline rdnkpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 05:16:04 PM »
Mark,
The left hand comment was a joke, making fun of myself for the poorly shaped pie.  I use it to compensate for all my deficiencies.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »
Mark,
The left hand comment was a joke, making fun of myself for the poorly shaped pie.  I use it to compensate for all my deficiencies.

Haaaaa! good one!
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles