Author Topic: Malty Laminated Beer Pizza  (Read 27293 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Malty Laminated Beer Pizza
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2013, 10:20:27 PM »
I'd actually prefer to have another pizza geek make me a crude manual sheeter and sell it to me for a little more than it cost to make it (or something like that).
Therein lies the problem. Unless you're set-up to crank(pun intended)these out you can quickly have quite a few hrs. into this type of thing with ordering special parts, running around to hardware store, metal stock shop, the build, package and ship, etc. Multiply those hrs by what the man's time is worth.....well, you know.... :'(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2013, 12:00:46 AM »
There's a reason why I said "(or something like that)" instead of not saying "(or something like that)." Or something like that.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #162 on: December 24, 2013, 12:15:12 AM »
Yep....I like the way you think. Well, something like that , if you know what I mean.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #163 on: December 26, 2013, 05:40:36 PM »
Also SquirrelFlight,

Your dough formula is unbelievably stiff for a laminated crust and would probably make you happier if it had some fat in it. I wouldn't even think about trying to laminate that dough (but I would be willing to try it for a single-layer crust). I'd suggest increasing the hydration to at least 43% and also adding 2%-5% fat. My current Tommy's dough is 43% hydration plus 5% shortening, and it's as stiff of a dough as I would even consider laminating by hand. And with each one I make, I think maybe it's still a little more crispy/crunchy than it needs to be.

I'll go ahead and give this a try.  Crispy/crunchy *is* what I'm looking for, after all.  Thanks!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #164 on: December 26, 2013, 09:10:37 PM »
The percentages I listed are specifically for dough made of either Pillsbury AP or Gold Medal AP. If I was trying to get the same result with KAAP, I'd probably do about 40% hydration, if not a little lower. This is based on the fact that when I switched from KAAP to Pillsbury, I had to increase the hydration of my dough by about 5% to make my Pillsbury dough feel the same as my KAAP dough. But since that was a very soft deep dish dough, I can't say for sure how it might translate for a stiff cracker style dough.

All I know is that 43% hydration plus 5% shortening is working real good for me when I use Pillsbury AP. If you use those percentages with either Pillsbury AP or Gold Medal AP, expect a very crispy crust, with perhaps a bit of crunch.

pizzapan