Author Topic: Stumbled into a cracker type crust.  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Musky

Stumbled into a cracker type crust.
« on: December 07, 2013, 11:13:55 PM »
I made some dough using Garvey's Chicago thin formula.  I tried a little something different with the ferment.  After mixing, kneading, and balling, I let it rise for three hours on the counter.  Then into the fridge for about 63 hours, then back on the counter for four more.  No particular reason other than why not.  It was so easy to roll out.  Practically paper thing.  Cooked up nice and crisp and really thin.  Next time I'll try lamination.  This one was a "Mediterranean."  No red sauce.  Oil and garlic, Grande whole milk mozzarella, feta, spinach, roasted tomatoes and red onions, diced Greek chicken breast.  That's just diced chicken marinated in Penzey's Greek seasoning.

Kevin

Offline Jackitup

Re: Stumbled into a cracker type crust.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:11:31 AM »
Have you tried this a second time, looks nice

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 05:45:42 AM »
Musky, these look great!  What was your oven set up? Temps/time etc.

Offline Musky

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
I have not done this again.  Saturday is pizza experiment day, and today I'm neck deep in poolish made with too much yeast because of poor poolish math skills.  So tomorrow's doughs are NY style and Sicilian.  I didn't make Garvey's formula.

All I did for dough prep was what I described in my first post.  After that final four hours it rolled out paper thin like it wasn't even there.  I baked it in my 36" Wolf gas oven on a stone at 450* on the middle rack.  The oven had been hotter, set between 500 and the broiler setting and the broiler was run for 2-3 minutes at the end, for NY failure pies.  They weren't horrible, but not great, and those pictures are in the NY forum.

Then I turned it down to 450* while I rolled this out and dressed it.  The formula was for a 14" crust, but it could have easily made 18-19".  I then flipped over a 16" cutter pan and cut the disc.  I did not bake it in the pan, just cut it to size.  I gently put it on the peel on parchment because I'm terrified to launch a skin that light and thin right off the peel.  Got it on the stone and baked for about 8 1/2+- minutes.  I was watching it and when those little black areas showed up I took it out.  Cooled it for a couple minutes on a rack.  I let my 16 year old daughter take the fancy photos, then slice and eat.

'Twas good.  Reminded us of Zaffiro's, a pretty famous ultra thin/cracker crust place in Milwaukee that's been around for like 50 years.  The original dive bar type joint on the lower east side of Beertown, not the locations they now have in Marcus Theatre multiplexes.  Those aren't bueno.

Kevin

Offline Musky

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »
I did pre-cook the chicken dicings.

Kevin

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 05:41:59 PM »
That does look really good.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »
I made some dough using Garvey's Chicago thin formula.  I tried a little something different with the ferment.  After mixing, kneading, and balling, I let it rise for three hours on the counter.  Then into the fridge for about 63 hours, then back on the counter for four more.  No particular reason other than why not.  It was so easy to roll out.  Practically paper thing.  Cooked up nice and crisp and really thin.  Next time I'll try lamination.  This one was a "Mediterranean."  No red sauce.  Oil and garlic, Grande whole milk mozzarella, feta, spinach, roasted tomatoes and red onions, diced Greek chicken breast.  That's just diced chicken marinated in Penzey's Greek seasoning.

Kevin
Musky,  what camera did you use to take your pics?
Your cracker crust looks delicious, good job!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Musky

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 09:37:51 PM »
Musky,  what camera did you use to take your pics?
Your cracker crust looks delicious, good job!  :chef:

Nikon D3100.  My daughter takes them with a 55x200 lens.  She has some technique she uses, but, honestly, I'm ignorant of it.  I try to take one and all I get is glare from the granite.

Kevin

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »
Nikon D3100.  My daughter takes them with a 55x200 lens.  She has some technique she uses, but, honestly, I'm ignorant of it.  I try to take one and all I get is glare from the granite.

Kevin

Send my compliments to your daughter. Those are really nice photos! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Musky

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 10:06:02 PM »
Send my compliments to your daughter. Those are really nice photos! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Will do.  She almost makes it look like I know what I'm doing.  lol.

Kevin

Offline Ctx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 11:51:15 PM »
I may give this a shot.  ;D

pizzapan