Author Topic: Corrado's Wholesale Cliffon NJ -- good source for flour?  (Read 956 times)

Offline PizzaNJ

• Just one more slice... After this one.
Corrado's Wholesale Cliffon NJ -- good source for flour?
« on: December 08, 2013, 06:53:08 AM »

I've seen a few references to Corrados in Clifton being a good source for flour, including all trumps. (Some websitesmention the store may carry Grande cheese.)

However, the references I found are all years old. Anyone have updated intel? (If not, I may go myself next week and post my findings.)

URL:  http://www.corradosmarket.com/Store/default.aspx

Offline scott123

Re: Corrado's Wholesale Cliffon NJ -- good source for flour?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 07:48:23 AM »
Corrados definitely carries Grande and All Trumps.

That being said, the Grande is $3.99/lb for a 6ish lb. loaf and they don't carry any medium high gluten (13% ish) pizza flour, only the 14% All Trumps, which, imo, has too much protein for NY and NH style.

Restaurant Depot in Secaucus should have Full Strength and is much closer to you.  Full Strength is a better flour.

Corrados has cut chunks of wholesale cheese for something like $4.59/lb. in their regular supermarket area, but they are either:

1. Part skim (or even worse, unlabeled, so possibly part skim, but possibly not)
2. The Corrados house brand, which doesn't taste all that great
3. Old/sitting in the case for days
4. All of the above.

I'm still tasting my way through RD's cheese, and, so far, nothing's noticeably superior to Grande, but, right now, I'd much rather spend $2/lb. on something like Saputo WM than $4 on Grande.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:29:06 AM by scott123 »

Offline PizzaNJ

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 09:14:59 AM »
Thanks. I may be able to borrow a RD pass and check that place out.

Offline PizzaNJ

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »
In addition to the help in this thread, I've also had a couple of kind members send me personal messages w/ suggestions.

* Sam's club. See this link for more details (and Scott123 flour recommendations): http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21553.msg217514.html#msg217514.
  * E&S Food in Whippany, NJ reportedly has cash&carry on Fridays.  See http://www.esfood.com/Documents/PRODUCT%20CATALOG.pdf for their catalog.
  * Dawn Foods in Edison NJ.  http://www.dawnfoods.com/

As for other NJ potential sources, I saw Roma Foods mentioned in a thread.

I'm tempted to take a Friday off of work to visit E&S and get Best Bakers Patent flour.  The 50 pound size is a little imposing.  Too bad there wasn't a flour buying club in NNJ (a 1/4 or 1/2 bag seems more manageable.)

Thanks for all the ideas.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 03:35:48 PM »
PizzaNJ,

I'm not sure how much you bake, but I've gone through almost a whole 50 lb. bag of flour in 3 months.  Making 3 pies, a batch of garlic knots and Italian bread weekly, I've blown through it.  If space is not a concern for you, ask your local supermarket bakery to save some icing containers for you and use those to store your flour.  It has worked out well for me and at $19 for 50lb. of flour, you can't go wrong.  I hope you find something that works for you.

Mary Ann

Btw, here's what my pizzas look like with Best Bakers flour  Reply #36 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27552.msg282262.html#msg282262

Ciabatta bread Reply#94
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26375.msg280362.html#msg280362
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:40:42 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »
I'm tempted to take a Friday off of work to visit E&S and get Best Bakers Patent flour.

As long as you sound kind of professional ("I'm in the process of starting a mobile pizza business, but haven't gotten my tax id yet"), it's very easy to get a one day pass from Restaurant Depot.  Best Bakers is good, but Full Strength is just as good and RD is far less of a drive for you.  You can also get 6 lb. loaves of motz at RD, whereas E&S only sells cases (eight 6 lb. loaves).

Offline PizzaNJ

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »
All good tips.  Thank you.

Mary Ann, I really like the look of that pizza.  That's what I'm striving for.

Offline PizzaNJ

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »
I took a day off and drove to Whippany to get some flour (Best Bakers). Also bought some cheese from mbrulato. (I think her husband thought I was nutty to drive all that way for flour and cheese. Maybe he'd think I'm nuttier if he knew I took a day off of work.)

Also bought a new wooden pizza peel from NYC earlier in the day. A busy pizza-related day.  :pizza:

Thanks to mbrulato (sorry for making you wait) and Scott123!  :chef:

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 09:40:22 AM »
No problem.  Post some pics of your pizza with your new flour and cheese.  :)
Mary Ann