Author Topic: Craig's Chicago Thin  (Read 2234 times)

Online TXCraig1

Craig's Chicago Thin
« on: December 08, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »
Nate's pie (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28938.0.html) looked so good, I had to give it a try.

My formula was pretty close to his:

100% KAAP
47% water
6% melted Crisco
1% salt
1% sugar
0.25% IDY

I took a tip from Garvey (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.0.html) whose pies also look awesome and gave the dough 24 hours in the fridge and then an additional 4 hours at room temp. Bake time was 4:30 at 500 on a cordierite stone. I brought the oven up to 550 between bakes.

The sauce was a bit less seasoned than these guys sauce but still way more than I'm used to. It was very good though, I must admit. Cento crushed, salt, sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, oregano, marjoram - all to taste.

I'd love to hear comments on what I'm doing wrong (or right). I'll never put pepperoni under the cheese though.  ;D

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:29:46 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Craig's Chicago Thin
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:02:23 PM »
Craig, that thing looks awesome.  Looks right on just about every level.  That said, if you're going for a Chicago thin experience, the only thing I might guess from the pictures is that there should be more cheese.  Chicago pies tend to go a little heavier than that, which would balance out the seasoning of the sauce.  I don't know how much you used, but I think something in the 6 1/2 - 8 oz range for a 14" thin is par for the course (give or take, depending on the thickness of the crust and style of sauce).

Cheers,
Garvey

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »
You are definitely right about more cheese. I'll weight it out next time per your specs. Also, all I had was part-skim. I'll be sure to get whole milk for the next go.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »
Looks real good Craig.  For cheese you want about 8.5oz for a 14 inch pizza.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 05:44:18 PM »
Craig, that thing looks awesome.  Looks right on just about every level.  That said, if you're going for a Chicago thin experience, the only thing I might guess from the pictures is that there should be more cheese.  Chicago pies tend to go a little heavier than that, which would balance out the seasoning of the sauce.  I don't know how much you used, but I think something in the 6 1/2 - 8 oz range for a 14" thin is par for the course (give or take, depending on the thickness of the crust and style of sauce).

Cheers,
Garvey

I was actually going to say before I read Garveys post... NOTNEARLY enough cheese!!!  :chef:  honestly you can go about 10 oz on a 14" pie

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 07:37:49 PM »
lol.  At this rate, by the time Chicago Bob chimes in, you'll need about a lb of cheese on the sucker. :-D

As for the pepperoni on top vs under the cheese, I like to put the pepperoni on top of some of the cheese and then finish off the cheese after that.  Like 2/3 of the cheese down, then pepp, then last 1/3 of the cheese.  That way, some parts peek out and some are buried.  That is a Chicago way, more often than not in the old school thin crust joints.  YMMV.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »
On Detroit pies, I've convinced myself that it is OK to have a layer of pepperoni under the cheese so long as I have a complete, unadulterated layer above. I might be able to go so far as to do the same here.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »
Craig, as always great pie. I agree, a bit more cheese and YES, pepperoni always on top!!
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 12:04:02 AM »
Craig, that pie looks great. I must say that some people's Chicago thin, albeit true to the style, have way too much cheese for me.  IMO, if that much cheese is required, you should use a sharper-flavored cheese, but I digress. Do you have any idea as the effect of solid fat on the dough?  Is Crisco just what you had laying around, or were you aiming to create a certain characteristic in the finished pizza that oil cannot provide?

Dan
Dan

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 12:13:55 AM »
lol.  At this rate, by the time Chicago Bob chimes in, you'll need about a lb of cheese on the sucker. :-D

As for the pepperoni on top vs under the cheese, I like to put the pepperoni on top of some of the cheese and then finish off the cheese after that.  Like 2/3 of the cheese down, then pepp, then last 1/3 of the cheese.  That way, some parts peek out and some are buried.  That is a Chicago way, more often than not in the old school thin crust joints.  YMMV.
Good post Garvey about traditionally dusting the pep with a 'lil cheese. On an order with raw bacon, that always went on top of the cheese but no dusting.
 And no, you don't absolutely need a full pound-O-cheese on a 14incher....but 3/4 lb. will get ya close!  ;D

Craig, just out of the gate it looks to me like you got a winner....very nice. And good to see someone showing upskirts on this type of pizza for a change....your crust/dough looks most excellent, sure like the use of Crisco there.. That one with the shrooms on it is a beautiful thing!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:16:04 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »
That one with the shrooms on it is a beautiful thing!

Agreed. Nice work, Craig.  Personally, the cheese thing is not as big a deal with me.  Either way, it would still be a great pizza.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 09:57:07 AM »
Craig - Beautiful pie.  Are you planning to conquer this just like you did with Neapolitans?  And more importantly, will you ever attempt to conquer making Chicago Deep Dish?   ;D

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
Craig - Beautiful pie.  Are you planning to conquer this just like you did with Neapolitans?  And more importantly, will you ever attempt to conquer making Chicago Deep Dish?   ;D

Thanks. No, deep dish isn't on the radar. I lived in Chicago for a while, so I'm comfortable in saying that I don't like that style at all - it's just not to my taste. I enjoy experimenting with other styles when I don't have time to give proper attention to NP, but I doubt I'll ever work to perfect any of them. If I did, it would probably be pizza al taglio.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 05:00:53 PM »
I just made dough using this formulation (16-inches, TF=0.08) except that I used GM Better for Bread flour, so I increased the hydration to compensate for that. 

My baking gear includes a Blackstone oven, a home oven, a 16-inch PSTK cutter pan and a 16-inch screen.  What combo do you think would do this style justice?  I'm considering using the PSTK in a home oven (no stone)  because of the good results I had with Bonci's Pizzarium dough.

Thx.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 05:17:48 PM »
I'm considering using the PSTK in a home oven (no stone)  because of the good results I had with Bonci's Pizzarium dough.

I think that's right.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 05:54:29 PM »
Very nicely done. I like that you got that laminated puffiness.

I think the cheese is nicely balanced as-is ;)

John

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 05:58:40 PM »
Very nicely done. I like that you got that laminated puffiness.

I think the cheese is nicely balanced as-is ;)

John

Thanks! I'm a balanced-cheese guy too.

Pizza is not bread.