Author Topic: Firestarting sticks to start oven?  (Read 419 times)

Offline peteH

• I Love Pizza!
Firestarting sticks to start oven?
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »
Does anyone use firestarting sticks to start their ovens?  I would prefer to use kindling and paper but the firestarter sticks are tempting.  I am guessing after 2 hours of preheating, any residue would be burned off.  Thoughts?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Firestarting sticks to start oven?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »
Personally, I would not use them in my oven, mainly because there is no need.  Paper, twigs and a match work just fine for walk-away fire starting.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »
Get a cactus burner: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100341111?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=weed+burner&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100341111#.UqNIQdJDv9q

It gives you a head start the pre-heat at the same time you light the fire. Lights big logs no problem.

It may not matter, but I'm still not putting any firestarting chemicals in my oven. As tom said, there is no need.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:15:35 PM »
I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AN7RGG/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Though that cactus burner looks pretty badass.  I may have to switch to that while I'm at home, as lugging it around with the catering gig may be a pain..

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »
If you want to use fire starters make your own natural ones.  Save your kitchen grease.  Take a paper towel and saturate it in the grease then fold it in half and then in half again so you have a long narrow strip.  Roll this strip up.  You end up with a little log a couple inches long and 1" or so in diameter.  They are the best fire starters you will ever use and are made from things you more then likely always have in the house.  Does it get better then that?
-Jeff

pizzapan